Post subject: Bit of Wind Today...
PostPosted: 12/28/10 4:58 am • # 26 
Administrator

We're now being hit by a blizzard.
It started during the night.

PostPosted: 12/28/10 5:15 am • # 27 
Administrator

Damn, oskar ~ stay safe ~ after a week of warnings and dire predictions of 'lake effect' snow records, we got about a total of 6" ~

We were talking in chat last night about what losing power means to each of us ~ in my case, all power in highrises is electric ... INCLUDING our elevators, altho I think one of our elevators has an emergency back up generator ~ I mentioned your 200yo house ~ we're guessing you've done significant rehab to make it liveable ~ we'd love to hear about that when you have the time ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/28/10 6:35 am • # 28 
Administrator

It's a work in progress and will be a work in progress the day I die.
Then it's somebody else's headache.

When we move here in 2002 the place was a disater area. The entire bottom floor structure was rotted or partly rotted and there was zero insulation. Anyway, it's a 12 room house so there was no way all that could be done from end of July 2002 to winter.
So we sectioned off the back of the house which contained the kitchen, bathroom and an old attic and made a loft apartment that is totally insulated. The first part of that winter we had to walk a plank to get to the bathroom as entire sections of the old floor and some sills had been ripped out. I have some pics hanging around somewhere.
My wife was a real trooper through it all as we did it all ourselves... no contractors at all except an electrician to upgrade to a 200 amp service to feed the hot tub... priorities, ya know.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply