It is currently 04/23/24 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/23/10 6:27 am • # 1 
Editorialist

It wasn't waged by atheists but rather by Puritan Christians.

An Outlaw Christmas

In the early 17th century, a wave of religious reform changed the way Christmas was celebrated in Europe. When Oliver Cromwell and his Puritan forces took over England in 1645, they vowed to rid England of decadence and, as part of their effort, cancelled Christmas. By popular demand, Charles II was restored to the throne and, with him, came the return of the popular holiday.

The pilgrims, English separatists that came to America in 1620, were even more orthodox in their Puritan beliefs than Cromwell. As a result, Christmas was not a holiday in early America. From 1659 to 1681, the celebration of Christmas was actually outlawed in Boston. Anyone exhibiting the Christmas spirit was fined five shillings. By contrast, in the Jamestown settlement, Captain John Smith reported that Christmas was enjoyed by all and passed without incident.

After the American Revolution, English customs fell out of favor, including Christmas. In fact, Congress was in session on December 25, 1789, the first Christmas under America's new constitution. Christmas wasn't declared a federal holiday until June 26, 1870.

http://www.history.com/topics/christmas

Following the Protestant Reformation, groups such as the Puritans strongly condemned the celebration of Christmas, considering it a Catholic invention and the "trappings of popery" or the "rags of the Beast."[80] The Catholic Church responded by promoting the festival in a more religiously oriented form. King Charles I of England directed his noblemen and gentry to return to their landed estates in midwinter to keep up their old style Christmas generosity.[79] Following the Parliamentarian victory over Charles I during the English Civil War, England's Puritan rulers banned Christmas in 1647.[80] Protests followed as pro-Christmas rioting broke out in several cities and for weeks Canterbury was controlled by the rioters, who decorated doorways with holly and shouted royalist slogans.[80] The book, The Vindication of Christmas (London, 1652), argued against the Puritans, and makes note of Old English Christmas traditions, dinner, roast apples on the fire, card playing, dances with "plow-boys" and "maidservants", and carol singing.[81] The Restoration of King Charles II in 1660 ended the ban, but many clergymen still disapproved of Christmas celebration. In Scotland, the Presbyterian Church of Scotland also discouraged observance of Christmas. James VI commanded its celebration in 1618, however attendance at church was scant.[82]

In Colonial America, the Puritans of New England shared radical Protestant disapproval of Christmas. Celebration was outlawed in Boston from 1659 to 1681. The ban by the Pilgrims was revoked in 1681 by English governor Sir Edmund Andros, however it was not until the mid-19th century that celebrating Christmas became fashionable in the Boston region.[83] At the same time, Christian residents of Virginia and New York observed the holiday freely. Pennsylvania German Settlers, pre-eminently the Moravian settlers of Bethlehem, Nazareth and Lititz in Pennsylvania and the Wachovia Settlements in North Carolina, were enthusiastic celebrators of Christmas. The Moravians in Bethlehem had the first Christmas trees in America as well as the first Nativity Scenes.[84] Christmas fell out of favor in the United States after the American Revolution, when it was considered an English custom.[85] George Washington attacked Hessian (German) mercenaries on Christmas during the Battle of Trenton in 1777, Christmas being much more popular in Germany than in America at this time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#Reformation_into_the_19th_century

PostPosted: 12/23/10 7:33 am • # 2 
Administrator

What I personally find so offensive about the masses of alleged Christians constant 'war on Christmas' refrain is their refusal to recognize and respect that other religions have an equal right to their own rites, traditions, and celebrations ~ and that other religions/atheists/agnostics have an equal right to not participate in Christian rites, traditions, and celebrations ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/23/10 8:01 am • # 3 
Administrator

Christmas died the day commercial interests took over the Holy Day.

PostPosted: 12/23/10 10:24 am • # 4 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
What I personally find so offensive about the masses of alleged Christians constant 'war on Christmas' refrain is their refusal to recognize and respect that other religions have an equal right to their own rites, traditions, and celebrations ~ and that other religions/atheists/agnostics have an equal right to not participate in Christian rites, traditions, and celebrations ~

Sooz

I agree, Sooz. It annoys me that they are offended when someone says "happy holidays" as if it's meant as an insult to Christians. I've even had this argument with my family.

The other thing that occurs to me is how they get angry that stores have their employees say "happy holidays" when the entire concept of shopping this time of year is materialistic and has nothing to do with Christ.

PostPosted: 12/23/10 3:17 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

The religious right are a bunch of whiners.  They seem to forget that they are lucky enough to live in a country where they are in the majority and have the freedom to worship as they please.  There are Christians in other countries that are being killed, beaten or otherwise have their lives put in danger.  That's a real war.

http://infidelsarecool.com/2010/02/23/pakistan-mob-of-muslims-beat-a-christian-who-refused-conversion-to-islam/

http://www.energypublisher.com/article.asp?id=44584

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2010/12/pakistan-muslims-beat-evangelist-into-unconsciousness-set-him-on-fire.html

PostPosted: 12/23/10 3:27 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

And...

Iraqi Christians cancel Christmas amid threats

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40791595/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/

PostPosted: 12/23/10 6:06 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Christmas died the day commercial interests took over the Holy Day.

Darn those three wise men and their GIFTS! Humph!

PostPosted: 12/24/10 12:47 am • # 8 
Administrator

John59 wrote:
And...

Don't remember that happening under Saddam.

PostPosted: 12/24/10 3:24 am • # 9 
  HAPPHOLIAYworks for me...it's the well wishes behind the sentiment that counts;  the greeting is not supposed to be a sermon...

Happy Holidays to all my wonderful friends on this board...

PostPosted: 12/24/10 4:09 am • # 10 
What really bothers me about the attitudes surrounding Christmas are those people who use it as a hammer to guilt people who don't share their sentiments.

I was at the ATM the other day to deposit a cheque. I walked into the foyer of the bank and I was the only person there. I put my card in and just as I was about to punch in my pass code numbers, I felt someone behind me. Not a good distance behind me but RIGHT behind me. So I turned around and there was this older woman standing about a foot away from me. When I looked at her she had this look of anger on her face and says "What???". I said "I would appreciate if you could stand back so I can conduct my personal transaction, please." She replied with "But I always stand this close - everybody does!" (which is bullshit) So... I just stood there looking at her with a smile on my face.... no transaction... just stood there. She continued to verbally assault me sarcastically with "You have a bad attitude! Merry Christmas - Merry Christmas" (trying to guilt me because I don't share her idea of the Chrismas spirit). She shouted this three times, so... I sarcastically responded by conducting my business... slowly... and then as I was leaving I turned around and said "How dare you question the nature of my spirituality. I don't celebrate excess and hypocrisy! - so go BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS!" and walked out.

Meryy Christmas indeed...

PostPosted: 12/24/10 5:09 am • # 11 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 12/24/10 7:49 am • # 12 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
John59 wrote:
And...

Don't remember that happening under Saddam.

No, but we brought them freedom. Remember? Bush told us so.

PostPosted: 12/24/10 8:26 am • # 13 
Sidartha wrote:
What really bothers me about the attitudes surrounding Christmas are those people who use it as a hammer to guilt people who don't share their sentiments.

I was at the ATM the other day to deposit a cheque. I walked into the foyer of the bank and I was the only person there. I put my card in and just as I was about to punch in my pass code numbers, I felt someone behind me. Not a good distance behind me but RIGHT behind me. So I turned around and there was this older woman standing about a foot away from me. When I looked at her she had this look of anger on her face and says "What???". I said "I would appreciate if you could stand back so I can conduct my personal transaction, please." She replied with "But I always stand this close - everybody does!" (which is bullshit) So... I just stood there looking at her with a smile on my face.... no transaction... just stood there. She continued to verbally assault me sarcastically with "You have a bad attitude! Merry Christmas - Merry Christmas" (trying to guilt me because I don't share her idea of the Chrismas spirit). She shouted this three times, so... I sarcastically responded by conducting my business... slowly... and then as I was leaving I turned around and said "How dare you question the nature of my spirituality. I don't celebrate excess and hypocrisy! - so go BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS!" and walked out.

Meryy Christmas indeed...
i absolutely dislike unpleasant situations like that...the woman is lucky you didn't call for bank security...Let her explain to them why she was insistent on reading your transaction!

PostPosted: 12/24/10 3:17 pm • # 14 
If I run into her again, I will do just that... get bank security involved.

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply