It is currently 03/29/24 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/24/10 7:27 am • # 1 
Administrator

I haven't been in or even near a Target store since it contributed BIG to tea party candidates in MN ~ I also dumped AT&T as my cell service provider because of its support to far right candidates ~ and I'm looking for another land service provider so I can dump AT&T a second time ~ I know neither Target nor AT&T will feel any change in their bottom lines without my business ~ but I feel better about not supporting either ~ Sooz

This past summer, Target became embroiled in a fierce political controversy when it was revealed that the retail giant was using corporate funds to support anti-gay gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer. Target gave $150,000 to a Republican political group that ran ads in support of Emmer's candidacy.

Because Target had earned a reputation of being a progressive leader among its corporate competitors — for instance, the company extends domestic-partner benefits to gay and lesbian employees — the revelation of the company's political giving came as a surprise and spurred calls for a boycott. In a few short days, Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel apologized in a letter to his employees:

Quote:

While I firmly believe that a business climate conducive to growth is critical to our future, I realize our decision affected many of you in a way I did not anticipate, and for that I am genuinely sorry. [...]

Going forward, we will soon begin a strategic review and analysis of our decision-making process for financial contributions in the public policy arena. And later this fall, Target will take a leadership role in bringing together a group of companies and partner organizations for a dialogue focused on diversity and inclusion in the workplace, including GLBT issues.

But as new FEC records indicate that, despite Steinhafel's apology, Target maintained its corporate contributions to right-wing, anti-gay candidates. After Steinhafel's written apology, Target's Political Action Committee “recorded $41,200 in federal election activity. Of that total, $31,200 went to anti-gay rights politicians or PACs supporting those candidates.â€

PostPosted: 12/24/10 9:04 am • # 2 
Administrator

but I feel better about not supporting either ~

You can also tell anybody who'll listen.

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply