It is currently 03/28/24 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/28/10 5:02 am • # 1 
Administrator

Very troubling numbers ~ do I need to mention my continuing and growing disgust for the craven R mindset? ~ Image ~ Sooz

AN IGNOBLE MILESTONE FOR THE UNINSURED.... In case anyone needed a reminder on why health care reform was so absolutely necessary, the Huffington Post's Amy Lee reports this morning on the latest Kaiser Foundation study on America's uninsured.

Quote:

As the Great Recession has sown unemployment and downgraded work even for those people who have held on to their jobs, the number of Americans lacking healthcare has swelled beyond 50 million, according to a sobering new report from the Kaiser Foundation.

Among the report's most troubling findings: The number of Americans without any health care coverage grew by more than four million in 2009. That left almost one-fifth of non-elderly people uninsured. Among those between 19 and 29 years old, nearly one-third lacked coverage.

The study underscores the degree to which the recession has accelerated the loss of basic elements once viewed as inextricable pieces of a middle class life. The number of Americans lacking medical coverage now exceeds the population of Spain. [...]

As those lacking health insurance grow in number, so do those missing out on necessary medical attention. About one-in-four uninsured adults have forgone care in the past year because of costs, compared to only 4 percent of those who have private coverage, according to the report.

It's against this backdrop that congressional Republicans, eyeing an ambitious agenda in 2011, insist that what we really need to do is gut the health care system, repeal the Affordable Care Act, and stop even trying to bring coverage to those families who need it, want it, but can't afford it.

The message to those 50 million, in a nutshell, is: Don't worry; you can always go to the emergency room.

If these tens of millions of uninsured Americans registered and voted against those who are adding to their hardship, Republicans wouldn't win another election at the federal level for quite a long while.

—[url=mailto:sbenen@washingtonmonthly.com]Steve Benen[/url] 8:00 AM December 28, 2010

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 027275.php

PostPosted: 12/28/10 9:58 pm • # 2 
My granddaughter this past summer had a sinus infection...a bad one.  After passing out at school, her mother took her to one of the clinics, who insisted she be seen at the emergency room...after a myriad of blood tests (all good), a CAT scan, an EKG, a doctor finally appeared and felt around my granddau's nose and sinus areas around her eyes..."You have a sinus infection..." and prescribed some antibiotics.  The girl at the time was uninsured.  This January 1, she will have insurance (Thank God and President Obama) thanks to the Affordable Care Act.  The bill for the ER "exam" that diagnosed the sinus condition?  Over $5000....

PostPosted: 12/29/10 7:36 am • # 3 
"The bill for the ER "exam" that diagnosed the sinus condition? Over $5000...."

I believe in civil disobedience - so I would have one thing to say: "Come and get me!"

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply