It is currently 03/28/24 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/29/10 1:29 am • # 1 
Administrator

Conservatives really are more afraid....

Political opinions are considered choices, and in Western democracies the right to choose one's opinions -- freedom of conscience -- is considered sacrosanct.

But recent studies suggest that our brains and genes may be a major determining factor in the views we hold.

A study at University College London in the UK has found that conservatives' brains have larger amygdalas than the brains of liberals. Amygdalas are responsible for fear and other "primitive" emotions. At the same time, conservatives' brains were also found to have a smaller anterior cingulate -- the part of the brain responsible for courage and optimism.

If the study is confirmed, it could give us the first medical explanation for why conservatives tend to be more receptive to threats of terrorism, for example, than liberals. And it may help to explain why conservatives like to plan based on the worst-case scenario, while liberals tend towards rosier outlooks.

"It is very significant because it does suggest there is something about political attitudes that are either encoded in our brain structure through our experience or that our brain structure in some way determines or results in our political attitudes," Geraint Rees, the neurologist who carried out the study, told the media.

Rees, who heads up UCL's Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, was originally asked half-jokingly to study the differences between liberal and conservative brains for an episode of BBC 4's Today show that was hosted by actor Colin Firth. But, after studying 90 UCL students and two British parliamentarians, the neurologist was shocked to discover a clear correlation between the size of certain brain parts and political views.

He cautions that, because the study was carried out only on adults, there is no way to tell what came first -- the brain differences or the political opinions.

But evidence is beginning to accumulate that figuring out a person's political proclivities may soon be as simple as a brain scan -- or a DNA test.

In a study published in October, researchers at Harvard and UC-San Diego found that a variant of the DRD4 gene predisposes people to being liberal, but only if they had active social lives as adolescents. The "liberal gene" has also been linked to a desire to try new things, and other "personality traits related to political liberalism."

For his part, actor Colin Firth, who hosted the BBC show that revealed the results of the brain scans, has said he wants to see brain scans on politicians to find out if they are telling the truth about what they believe.

Questioning the "liberal" credentials of the head of Britain's Liberal Democratic party, Nick Clegg, Firth said: "I think we should have him scanned."

http://www.rawstory.com/r...tives-fear-center-brain/

PostPosted: 12/30/10 1:11 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I've been mulling this over since oskar first posted it yesterday ~ at first I just laughed ~ but it actually makes a lot of sense ~ originally, I was going to comment on the role environment might play, but I think the role genetics plays likely takes precedence ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/30/10 1:37 pm • # 3 
Administrator

IUMO, a lot more research is nedded before arriving at any conclusions.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 2:01 pm • # 4 
Administrator

I agree about needing more research before any legit conclusions can be announced, oskar ~ but I really like the early direction this study is taking ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/30/10 2:10 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

But recent studies suggest that our brains and genes may be a major determining factor in the views we hold.

Our brains aren't a major factor in terms of our views, they are the factor.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 2:49 pm • # 6 
Administrator

John59 wrote:

John, are you speaking to intellect or to brain structure?

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/30/10 3:31 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
John59 wrote:

Sooz

I speaking of how our brain works. Forming views is simply the accumulation of various thoughts stored in our memory.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 3:58 pm • # 8 
I don't think it's nearly that simple.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 4:03 pm • # 9 
Administrator

John59 wrote:
sooz08 wrote:
John59 wrote:

Sooz

I speaking of how our brain works. Forming views is simply the accumulation of various thoughts stored in our memory.

Okay ~ that makes sense and is where I was thinking environment could play a role ~ but think of the possibilities [not sure 'possibilities' is the right word] if our views are predetermined or manipulated by our brain structure ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/30/10 4:06 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Thack wrote:
I don't think it's nearly that simple.

What else do you see as playing a role, Thack?

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/30/10 4:24 pm • # 11 
John is right in a very basic sense, but there are many reasons why one person will process the exact information that another will process in a much different way.

Neurobiology is a factor, as are genetics and the environment during youth all affect how one thinks and processes information.

If cons have a larger amygdala, which is responsible for processing emotional memories which lead to compensatory behaviors, then they will most likely have much stronger feelings about fear and threat. That would make them more susceptible to the constant drumbeat of fear and threat which drives the republican party. They are already primed for that fear and threat because of their neurobiology.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 4:36 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Wouldn't the bigger or smaller amygdala be determined by genetics? ~ I'm also curious about what happens when you're born with a bigger amygdala, grow up in a conservative environment, but rebel ~ I know you can overcome the environment, but I guess I'm wondering if you can overcome the genetics ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/30/10 5:00 pm • # 13 
sooz08 wrote:
Wouldn't the bigger or smaller amygdala be determined by genetics? ~ I'm also curious about what happens when you're born with a bigger amygdala, grow up in a conservative environment, but rebel ~ I know you can overcome the environment, but I guess I'm wondering if you can overcome the genetics ~

Sooz
That's called a "short circuit".  Image

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply