It is currently 03/28/24 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/29/10 3:18 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Altho I question how successful this will be, I love the idea and the sentiment fueling the idea ~ I hope there will be follow-up on this ~ Sooz

Professors start website for rich to give back tax cuts

By David Edwards
Wednesday, December 29th 2010 -- 3:35pm

A new website is encouraging the richest Americans to give their tax cuts to charity.

Four professors from Yale and Cornell universities created the Give It Back for Jobs website after Republicans forced President Barack Obama to extend Bush-era tax cuts for even the wealthiest Americans.

"Quite possibly, the President had no good alternative," the site noted. "All the Bush tax cuts, not just those for the wealthy, were scheduled to expire at the end of this month, jeopardizing an already fragile economic recovery.

"But we citizens need not abandon ourselves to this failure of government. Instead, ordinary Americans, acting together, can create shadow fiscal policy. By acting together, we can set the country moving toward a just prosperity.

"Americans who have the means should refuse to surrender to Senate Republicans. We should act, together, to give back our Bush tax cuts, by making donations to organizations that promote fairness, economic growth, and a vibrant middle class," the site added.

The site uses the Urban Institute and Brookings Institution Tax Policy Center Microsimulation Model to calculate the tax savings. For example, a single person making $200,000 would see an addition tax savings of $5,476.

Suggested charities include Habitat for Humanity, The Salvation Army, Children's Aid Society and Nurse Family Partnership. A custom charity may be selected as well.

"We can, in this way, begin to redeem candidate Obama's promise that 'we are the ones we've been waiting for,'" the site concluded.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/professors-start-website-rich-give-tax-cuts/

PostPosted: 12/29/10 3:37 pm • # 2 
Won't win any awards for going viral...

PostPosted: 12/30/10 12:22 pm • # 3 
Now that the tax cuts are being extended, you'll see a rise in prices on commodities.

Those professors should have consulted with their universities Psyche department before wasting their time with this little piece of theater.

Most hugely wealthy people tend towards being sociopaths so I don't expect them to send any of their money to those professors.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 5:06 pm • # 4 
It's already started Thack. China announced today that they are raising the price of rare earth minerals and elements. They are the biggest and almost the only country to mine them even though they are found all over the earth and they are used in all of our electronics. They have us by the short and curlies and they're about to pull.

PostPosted: 12/31/10 6:16 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
It's already started Thack. China announced today that they are raising the price of rare earth minerals and elements. They are the biggest and almost the only country to mine them even though they are found all over the earth and they are used in all of our electronics. They have us by the short and curlies and they're about to pull.

i recommend buying shares in Great Western Mines to offset this risk.  ;]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply