It is currently 11/12/18 9:13 pm
WELCOME to Voices or Choices!
If you have no posts, please register for a new account.
If you are a former member rejoining VoC and wish to be reunited with your existing posts,
please email your username to reunite@voicesorchoices.com.

All times are UTC - 6 hours




  Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
Author Message
 Post subject: Wikileaks Info
PostPosted: 12/30/10 7:35 am • # 1 
I heard through the military grapevine that any military member that accesses the Wikileaks site or any site carrying information gotten from the leak will lose any security clearance they have. A law was passed that states that classified information that becomes public knowledge does not lose it's classified status.

The warnings are coming from individual commands, but if the spouses aren't sharing that info, then there is the chance for trouble.

Not sure how I feel about it.


Top
  
 Offline
 Post subject: Wikileaks Info
PostPosted: 12/30/10 8:13 am • # 2 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 7377
classified information that becomes public knowledge does not lose it's classified status

Saywhat?? That makes no sense to me...unless I'm missing something.


Top
  
 Post subject: Wikileaks Info
PostPosted: 12/30/10 8:25 am • # 3 
[b wrote:
Chaos333[/b]]classified information that becomes public knowledge does not lose it's classified status

Saywhat?? That makes no sense to me...unless I'm missing something.
Chaos
Your not missing anything, since this is the type of Government that we now have...Image

  


Top
  
 Post subject: Wikileaks Info
PostPosted: 12/30/10 8:54 am • # 4 
Chaos333 wrote:
classified information that becomes public knowledge does not lose it's classified status



Saywhat?? That makes no sense to me...unless I'm missing something.


It makes perfect sense to me. If you are a government employee with a certain classified status, information leaked does not now mean you are allowed to have knowledge above your clearance.

These were classified files that were leaked in an illegal manner; they do not become unclassified simply because they are posted for the world to see. If you lack the proper clearance to know classified information through yourjob, reading about that information on another site doesn't exactly make it acceptable.


Top
  
 Offline
 Post subject: Wikileaks Info
PostPosted: 12/30/10 9:06 am • # 5 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 01/16/09
Posts: 13067
mpicky wrote:
Chaos333 wrote:
classified information that becomes public knowledge does not lose it's classified status



Saywhat?? That makes no sense to me...unless I'm missing something.


It makes perfect sense to me. If you are a government employee with a certain classified status, information leaked does not now mean you are allowed to have knowledge above your clearance.

These were classified files that were leaked in an illegal manner; they do not become unclassified simply because they are posted for the world to see. If you lack the proper clearance to know classified information through yourjob, reading about that information on another site doesn't exactly make it acceptable.

if you have the clearance, why would it matter?


Top
  
 Post subject: Wikileaks Info
PostPosted: 12/30/10 9:08 am • # 6 
macroscopic wrote:
mpicky wrote:
Chaos333 wrote:
classified information that becomes public knowledge does not lose it's classified status






Saywhat?? That makes no sense to me...unless I'm missing something.




It makes perfect sense to me. If you are a government employee with a certain classified status, information leaked does not now mean you are allowed to have knowledge above your clearance.



These were classified files that were leaked in an illegal manner; they do not become unclassified simply because they are posted for the world to see. If you lack the proper clearance to know classified information through yourjob, reading about that information on another site doesn't exactly make it acceptable.

if you have the clearance, why would it matter?


I would say a small percentage of military members hold more than a basic security clearance. Even still, if you lose it you lose your job.


Top
  
 Post subject: Wikileaks Info
PostPosted: 12/30/10 9:14 am • # 7 
Dontcha love bureaucratic logic... or is that illogic?


Top
  
 Offline
 Post subject: Wikileaks Info
PostPosted: 12/30/10 9:17 am • # 8 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 7377
But if the "classified" cat is already out of the bag and any other person on the planet with no security clearance at all ( including the enemy) can access it...what's the point? It makes those with clearance less informed than those without. I'm not sure how that can be a good thing, though I get the whole "law and order" angle.

  




Top
  
 Post subject: Wikileaks Info
PostPosted: 12/30/10 9:40 am • # 9 
"Classified" has come to mean "embarassing" or "such-and-such politician lied to the public".
Plus, the government wants voters to be as ill-informed as possible. An well-informed population is much more difficult to manipulate.


Top
  
 Post subject: Wikileaks Info
PostPosted: 12/30/10 11:03 am • # 10 
Secrecy is the destroyer of democracy.

If Americans have to face the ugly truth about the nature of our military operations in other countries, they will soon demand that those operations cease.

WWII, the Bush administration used secrecy to cover it's underhanded dealings.

The 'government we now have' isn't guilty of doing that to the same degree as the previous one.

Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.

Most military secrets in the modern era are usually designed to cover the ass of someone with stars on their lapels.

You may have noticed that the Wikileaks problem didn't gain a lot of strength until it was mentioned that they would be releasing information that banks wanted hidden.

The power center never changes.


Top
  
 Offline
 Post subject: Wikileaks Info
PostPosted: 12/30/10 11:46 am • # 11 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 01/16/09
Posts: 13067
Thack wrote:
Secrecy is the destroyer of democracy.

agreed.  which is why am inclined to worship Assange in the privacy of my home.  but doing so publically is far more dangerous, ime.


Top
  
 Post subject: Wikileaks Info
PostPosted: 12/30/10 12:07 pm • # 12 
With the demise of the free press in America, I find that Assange is the only source of truthful information left to those who want to know what the government and their capitalists controllers are really trying to do.


Top
  
 Offline
 Post subject: Wikileaks Info
PostPosted: 12/30/10 12:20 pm • # 13 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 01/16/09
Posts: 13067
Thack wrote:
With the demise of the free press in America, I find that Assange is the only source of truthful information left to those who want to know what the government and their capitalists controllers are really trying to do.

actually, when we had an adversarial press, like, say, back in the 70's, we used to have a useful counterweight to the entanglements of government and industry.  now that we no longer have such a press, we have to rely on people like Assange.  it sucks.  but in some ways, it is not that bad.  at least we can read what this stuff actually says, rather than having some editor explain it to us.


Top
  
 Post subject: Wikileaks Info
PostPosted: 12/30/10 12:25 pm • # 14 
I agree, Mac.


Top
  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

  Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply

All times are UTC - 6 hours



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group