It is currently 03/28/24 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Wikileaks Info
PostPosted: 12/30/10 7:35 am • # 1 
I heard through the military grapevine that any military member that accesses the Wikileaks site or any site carrying information gotten from the leak will lose any security clearance they have. A law was passed that states that classified information that becomes public knowledge does not lose it's classified status.

The warnings are coming from individual commands, but if the spouses aren't sharing that info, then there is the chance for trouble.

Not sure how I feel about it.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 8:13 am • # 2 
Editorialist

classified information that becomes public knowledge does not lose it's classified status

Saywhat?? That makes no sense to me...unless I'm missing something.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 8:25 am • # 3 
[b wrote:
Chaos333[/b]]classified information that becomes public knowledge does not lose it's classified status

Chaos
Your not missing anything, since this is the type of Government that we now have...Image

PostPosted: 12/30/10 8:54 am • # 4 
Chaos333 wrote:
classified information that becomes public knowledge does not lose it's classified status

It makes perfect sense to me. If you are a government employee with a certain classified status, information leaked does not now mean you are allowed to have knowledge above your clearance.

These were classified files that were leaked in an illegal manner; they do not become unclassified simply because they are posted for the world to see. If you lack the proper clearance to know classified information through yourjob, reading about that information on another site doesn't exactly make it acceptable.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 9:06 am • # 5 
Editorialist

mpicky wrote:
Chaos333 wrote:

It makes perfect sense to me. If you are a government employee with a certain classified status, information leaked does not now mean you are allowed to have knowledge above your clearance.

These were classified files that were leaked in an illegal manner; they do not become unclassified simply because they are posted for the world to see. If you lack the proper clearance to know classified information through yourjob, reading about that information on another site doesn't exactly make it acceptable.

if you have the clearance, why would it matter?

PostPosted: 12/30/10 9:08 am • # 6 
macroscopic wrote:
mpicky wrote:
Chaos333 wrote:

if you have the clearance, why would it matter?

I would say a small percentage of military members hold more than a basic security clearance. Even still, if you lose it you lose your job.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 9:14 am • # 7 
Administrator

Dontcha love bureaucratic logic... or is that illogic?

PostPosted: 12/30/10 9:17 am • # 8 
Editorialist

But if the "classified" cat is already out of the bag and any other person on the planet with no security clearance at all ( including the enemy) can access it...what's the point? It makes those with clearance less informed than those without. I'm not sure how that can be a good thing, though I get the whole "law and order" angle.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 9:40 am • # 9 
Administrator

"Classified" has come to mean "embarassing" or "such-and-such politician lied to the public".
Plus, the government wants voters to be as ill-informed as possible. An well-informed population is much more difficult to manipulate.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 11:03 am • # 10 
Secrecy is the destroyer of democracy.

If Americans have to face the ugly truth about the nature of our military operations in other countries, they will soon demand that those operations cease.

WWII, the Bush administration used secrecy to cover it's underhanded dealings.

The 'government we now have' isn't guilty of doing that to the same degree as the previous one.

Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.

Most military secrets in the modern era are usually designed to cover the ass of someone with stars on their lapels.

You may have noticed that the Wikileaks problem didn't gain a lot of strength until it was mentioned that they would be releasing information that banks wanted hidden.

The power center never changes.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 11:46 am • # 11 
Editorialist

Thack wrote:
Secrecy is the destroyer of democracy.

agreed.  which is why am inclined to worship Assange in the privacy of my home.  but doing so publically is far more dangerous, ime.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 12:07 pm • # 12 
With the demise of the free press in America, I find that Assange is the only source of truthful information left to those who want to know what the government and their capitalists controllers are really trying to do.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 12:20 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

Thack wrote:
With the demise of the free press in America, I find that Assange is the only source of truthful information left to those who want to know what the government and their capitalists controllers are really trying to do.

actually, when we had an adversarial press, like, say, back in the 70's, we used to have a useful counterweight to the entanglements of government and industry.  now that we no longer have such a press, we have to rely on people like Assange.  it sucks.  but in some ways, it is not that bad.  at least we can read what this stuff actually says, rather than having some editor explain it to us.

PostPosted: 12/30/10 12:25 pm • # 14 
I agree, Mac.

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply