It is currently 06/16/24 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next   Page 5 of 12   [ 293 posts ]
 Post subject: Rick Perry's extremism
PostPosted: 08/16/11 12:47 pm • # 101 
I understand your point, sooz.  My problem is this is a guy whose job was to try to to make Bush's actions look right.  My question would be what does he know about appropriate and presidential?  I didn't care what he said when Bushie was President and I sure as hell don't care now.  For me, he lost all credibility the minute he started working for Bush. 

PostPosted: 08/16/11 1:35 pm • # 102 
jeannept wrote:
I understand your point, sooz.  My problem is this is a guy whose job was to try to to make Bush's actions look right.
I suspect that alone will be enough to eventually knock his campaign off the rails.

But then again... American voters seem to get sudden onset amnesia from time to time.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 2:37 pm • # 103 
Editorialist

"So now we care what Bush's former press secretary says?  The Bush camp and the Perry camp do not get along. In Texas, treating someone pretty ugly is making them listen to Perry for an hour.  That's as bad as you can get. oops not press secretary. deputy press secretary."

Hey, every single solitary soul whose words get quoted here is speaking from a point of view. Almost all of them have the job of making somebody look good or look bad, and most of those are getting paid to do that job. Obama has the job of of making himself and his administration look good, just like every president starting with Geo. Washington. Everybody in the Republican Party has the sworn duty to villify Obama. and denigrate whatever he has done, to the end of gettig a Republican President in place.

I personally agree with the former deputy press secretary that what Perry said is unpresidential.  I would agree if Charlie Manson said it. It also is evidence that Perry's a bit ignorant about the law regarding the Federal Reserve. It's decisions are *independent of the president, and of the Congress for that matter.  By law it is an independent body. If more money gets printed, it will not be because Obama willed it, and it will not be a treasonous action. Perry can treat Bernanke pretty ugly for it if he can lure him to Texas, I guess. Hopefully Bernanke could take the opportunity to explain how the system works while he's down there. Under a President Perry, I seriously doubt we could depend on the Fed remaining independent.

*Congress does have the power to make new law regarding the Federal Reserve, or to abolish it entirely, but under current law, the decisions the Board makes are not subject to review or ratification by Congress or President. Woodrow Wilson signed the Fed into law. I'm guessing Perry has a pretty low opinion of him too.

Anyhow, my original point when I started this was that everything in this forum is opinion, not fact, regardless who gets cited or quoted. It's opinion about fact. If Jesus Christ posted on this thread, it would be his opinion about Perry, and you would agree or not based on your own experience, not on your opinion of Jesus Christ..

Last edited by grampatom on 08/16/11 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 2:45 pm • # 104 
Editorialist

wow. Perry is totally misinformed about the need and nature of deficit spending.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 2:45 pm • # 105 
jeannept
Do you say he attacked Obama's patriotism? He answered a question. He at worst questioned it but did not attack it. I don't see what Benen said as a valid interpretation. I see it as total exaggeration.

Perry is a dumbass whose opinion on anything should be ignored but because we have so many dumbass Americans- especially in Texas- we're stuck with him for at least another year.He has that smartass redneck (almost an
oxymoron) way of talking- a lot like dumbya- not someone who should be in a position of power IMO.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 2:52 pm • # 106 
Sidartha wrote:
jeannept wrote:
I understand your point, sooz.  My problem is this is a guy whose job was to try to to make Bush's actions look right.
I suspect that alone will be enough to eventually knock his campaign off the rails.

But then again... American voters seem to get sudden onset amnesia from time to time.

Sid, that quote was talking about the deputy press secretary for Bush.  I couldn't tell if maybe you were thinking that was about Perry.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 2:55 pm • # 107 
macroscopic wrote:
wow. Perry is totally misinformed about the need and nature of deficit spending.
He is ignorant on a lot of issues.  His whole platform is the feds need to let free enterprise work by cutting taxes so they will make jobs, the feds need to let the states do their jobs, etc.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 3:05 pm • # 108 
jeannept wrote:
Sidartha wrote:
jeannept wrote:

Sid, that quote was talking about the deputy press secretary for Bush.  I couldn't tell if maybe you were thinking that was about Perry.
Ooops! Sorry... I misunderestima... misunderstood.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 3:08 pm • # 109 
That's what is so crazy about politics and politics talk.  We try to blow off what someone says when their person is pres but take it as an important statement when he later says something about someone else we don't lke.  I think it's funny.  Both sides do it.  It just amused me that now we quote him like he is some kind of authority.  Whatever fits our mindset.  For dems anything bad said about repubs is valid, any criticism of Obama is invalid.  For repubs anything said bad about Obama and the dems is valid, any criticism of repubs is wrong.  I don't see how real discussion can come from that.  I don't see how dems will get votes from that.  I heard Obama saying today he has this great plan to make jobs etc.  Oh really?  Do we have to wait until he is reelected?  Our country is in trouble why doesn't he stay home and get it done instead of campaigning? 

PostPosted: 08/16/11 3:29 pm • # 110 
"I heard Obama saying today he has this great plan to make jobs etc. Oh really? Do we have to wait until he is reelected?"

Our current Prime Minister won the latest election on a promise similar to that... in other words... we ain't much different up here - but - the phenomenon you have observed seems to work most times when trying to get "your guy" elected. I just have to question how healthy that is for the democratic process.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 4:06 pm • # 111 
I question that too, Sid.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 3:35 am • # 112 
Administrator

jeannept wrote:
That's what is so crazy about politics and politics talk.  We try to blow off what someone says when their person is pres but take it as an important statement when he later says something about someone else we don't lke.  I think it's funny.  Both sides do it.  It just amused me that now we quote him like he is some kind of authority.  Whatever fits our mindset.  For dems anything bad said about repubs is valid, any criticism of Obama is invalid.  For repubs anything said bad about Obama and the dems is valid, any criticism of repubs is wrong.  I don't see how real discussion can come from that.  I don't see how dems will get votes from that.  I heard Obama saying today he has this great plan to make jobs etc.  Oh really?  Do we have to wait until he is reelected?  Our country is in trouble why doesn't he stay home and get it done instead of campaigning? 

While there's certainly truth in your comment, jeanne, you're suggesting many of us are falling for 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' trap ~ I can and do only speak for myself ~ I'm not 'validating' anything Fratto or Rove is spewing, nor am I holding either up as an 'expert' ~ but I see value in learning why/how/what causes two formerly joined-at-the-hip camps to explode ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/17/11 3:40 am • # 113 
Administrator

Our country is in trouble why doesn't he stay home and get it done instead of campaigning?

Need to change the political system to accomplish that.
The country is in trouble mainly due to government corruption.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 3:44 am • # 114 
Administrator

More proof we shouldn't take anything anyone says at 'face value' without checking the pesky facts ~ emphasis/bolding below is mine ~ Sooz

August 17, 2011 10:00 AM
Perry never noticed the drones
By Steve Benen

Republican presidential hopeful Rick Perry presumably knows a little something about immigration policy. After all, he's the three-term governor of Texas, easily the nation's largest border state, and Perry realizes how important the issue is to far-right activists who dominate in his party.

With this in mind, it seemed noteworthy that Perry sketched out an idea this week, touting the use of Predator drones along the U.S.-Mexico border. The governor stressed that these unarmed drones could provide “real-time information to help our law-enforcement,â€

PostPosted: 08/17/11 3:50 am • # 115 
IMO, if you shut your eyes and listen to Perry you would think it's GW Bush all over again...same arrogance, same tone of voice, etc.  I have listened to Perry many times but only noticed this when I was in the kitchen and the news came on and I really thought GW was on the news instead of Perry speaking.   Both don't have a clue what the real world is like and IMO, Perry won't be welcome with open arms by all Republicans.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 4:13 am • # 116 
Editorialist

I heard Obama saying today he has this great plan to make jobs etc.  Oh really?  Do we have to wait until he is reelected?  Our country is in trouble why doesn't he stay home and get it done instead of campaigning? 

Because there's this pesky little thing called the legislative branch, many of whom have "defeat Obama at all costs" as their primary goal. It's not as if the POTUS can get anything done without first herding cats. 

That legislative branch is on vacation, so what, exactly, is Obama supposed to accomplish by "staying home"? 

PostPosted: 08/17/11 4:26 am • # 117 
Administrator

That legislative branch is on vacation, so what, exactly, is Obama supposed to accomplish by "staying home"?

Keep Michelle smiling?

PostPosted: 08/17/11 6:00 am • # 118 
Chaos333 wrote:
I heard Obama saying today he has this great plan to make jobs etc.  Oh really?  Do we have to wait until he is reelected?  Our country is in trouble why doesn't he stay home and get it done instead of campaigning? 

Because there's this pesky little thing called the legislative branch, many of whom have "defeat Obama at all costs" as their primary goal. It's not as if the POTUS can get anything done without first herding cats. 

How about figuring a way to get past the problems.  Why even bring it up if the repubs are so big an obstacle that he can't overcome it?  That's what's been bothering me this whole time, it's just words.  He is just playing politics.  He is saying he has these great ideas and then will blame the repubs when they don't happen.  It may be the fault of the repubs but that doesn't help anyone and I think it won't get him votes.  If he can't get his great ideas through why should he be reelected?  In my opinion he has spent far too much time campaigning than he has being a good President.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 6:17 am • # 119 
Administrator

Question for you, jeanne ~ and I am not being snarky ~ Obama has come up with some good and reasonable suggestions ~ including the 'holy grail' for Repubs: tax cuts and other ideas that the GOP strongly supported pre-Obama suggestion ~ but Repubs have stayed true to their oath of 'defeat/delay everything', including taking us to the brink of default [which many GOP believed didn't mean much of anything] ~ so ... what do you suggest Obama do?

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/17/11 6:19 am • # 120 
Administrator

so ... what do you suggest Obama do?

Push back as hard as he gets pushed.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 6:21 am • # 121 
Administrator

And I believe he is now finally doing just that, oskar ~

As an aside: I think this discussion on Obama is important and I hate to see it get lost in what is tagged as the Perry thread ~ anyone have a problem with a new 'Obama' thread?

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/17/11 6:28 am • # 122 
sooz08 wrote:
Question for you, jeanne ~ and I am not being snarky ~ Obama has come up with some good and reasonable suggestions ~ including the 'holy grail' for Repubs: tax cuts and other ideas that the GOP strongly supported pre-Obama suggestion ~ but Repubs have stayed true to their oath of 'defeat/delay everything', including taking us to the brink of default [which many GOP believed didn't mean much of anything] ~ so ... what do you suggest Obama do?

Sooz
I agree with oskar's response.

I suggest, if he's going to fail, at least do it standing up for his principles instead of caving in and still failing.  I could at least respect him then and possibly even support him.  I have no clue what he stands for any more.  It appears there is nothing he is not willing to cave in on.  The question that needs to be answered for many of us who are independent, if the repubs make him fail or cave in, and the chances are good that the makeup of Congress will be the same or worse, why should we reelect him?  He can't do anything.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 6:31 am • # 123 
sooz08 wrote:
And I believe he is now finally doing just that, oskar ~

As an aside: I think this discussion on Obama is important and I hate to see it get lost in what is tagged as the Perry thread ~ anyone have a problem with a new 'Obama' thread?

Sooz
How is he finally doing that, sooz?  I haven't seen any change.  He caved in a lot during the debt ceiling debate.

I have no problem with making an Obama thread.  This Obama part came up because we were talking about people voting for Perry.  They very well could if the dems don't show how things will change the second time around.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 6:36 am • # 124 
Editorialist

Telling the truth about Republican obstructionism is not "playing politics". Obama is "pushing back" by calling them out on it, since so many idiots buy into the idea that all the problems created by the last administration would have been all cleaned up by now if only that lazy unpatriotic secret muslim Obama would get around to it.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 6:40 am • # 125 
Administrator

So far Obama has been much talk and not much else. Even the so-called "Obamacare", lauded as a great achievement, is poorly written at best. What use is a law that is so poorly crafted that it takes armies of lawyers, bureaucrats and courts to sort it out?

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next   Page 5 of 12   [ 293 posts ] New Topic Add Reply