It is currently 06/25/24 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next   Page 6 of 12   [ 293 posts ]
 Post subject: Rick Perry's extremism
PostPosted: 08/17/11 6:40 am • # 126 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
And I believe he is now finally doing just that, oskar ~

As an aside: I think this discussion on Obama is important and I hate to see it get lost in what is tagged as the Perry thread ~ anyone have a problem with a new 'Obama' thread?

Sooz
Hmmm..they aren't really different topics, since Perry IS campaigning on "how horrible Obama is." 

PostPosted: 08/17/11 6:45 am • # 127 
 I think pushing back by blaming everything on the republicans has proven not to work.  Look at the midterm elections.  Be honest yes, but offer something to show it can change if we elect him for another 4 years.  Pushing back, imo, would mean standing his ground on issues.  He won't change the minds of the idiots.  Do you think he can get reelected if all he has are the people who always vote democratic?  I think he needs independent voters too and he is turning them off and giving them no reason to vote for him.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 6:48 am • # 128 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
So far Obama has been much talk and not much else. Even the so-called "Obamacare", lauded as a great achievement, is poorly written at best. What use is a law that is so poorly crafted that it takes armies of lawyers, bureaucrats and courts to sort it out?

Lots of laws take armies of lawyers, bureaucrats and courts to figure them out. That's the system of checks and balances in action. 

But hey, if you want to do away with all that, and just make Obama king, and let him institute *whatever he wants* regardless of what anyone else thinks and see if it works, I'm all for it. If he's going to take the blame for everything, we should give him the power to DO everything he wants too.

But that's not how this works.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 6:51 am • # 129 
Administrator

Oh, so the reason for crappy laws is the system of checks and balances.
Must be one of those job-creation initiatives.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 6:53 am • # 130 
Editorialist

I think pushing back by blaming everything on the republicans has proven not to work. 

So why does it work when Republicans blame everything on Obama, as if they bear no responsibility for any of it? Republicans made lots of promises during that midterm too...but they're only keeping one...destroy the Democrat POTUS. 

And people reward them for that.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 6:57 am • # 131 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Oh, so the reason for crappy laws is the system of checks and balances.
Must be one of those job-creation initiatives.
Well, since you've already decided healthcare reform is "crappy" and three branches of government is a waste, there's no need to discuss anything further, is there? Image

PostPosted: 08/17/11 6:59 am • # 132 
Administrator

Chaos333 wrote:
 I think pushing back by blaming everything on the republicans has proven not to work. 

So why does it work when Republicans blame everything on Obama, as if they bear no responsibility for any of it? Republicans made lots of promises during that midterm too...but they're only keeping one...destroy the Democrat POTUS. 

While that has been true, Chaos, new polls are showing a significant change in voter mindset ~ the GOP, and especially its TP arm, are getting ravaged in the polls ~ I know that that is only in the polls, not in the voting booth ~ and I also know a gazillion Koch/Rove et al dollars will be spent attempting to modify that mindset ~ but it's a solid foundation for Dems/Obama to work from ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/17/11 7:01 am • # 133 
Chaos333 wrote:

I've said time after time that both sides do it.  The people that reward the repubs are the ones who would support repubs regardless.  Same with the dems who support dems regardless.  That's why the independents are having trouble.  Both sides suck.  No one is offering solutions.  No one is saying why we should vote for them.  Vote for Obama because he sucks less.  No. I consider voting for a person who sucks to be as much a waste as not voting.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 7:02 am • # 134 
Administrator

sooz08 wrote:
Chaos333 wrote:

While that has been true, Chaos, new polls are showing a significant change in voter mindset ~ the GOP, and especially its TP arm, are getting ravaged in the polls ~ I know that that is only in the polls, not in the voting booth ~ and I also know a gazillion Koch/Rove et al dollars will be spent attempting to modify that mindset ~ but it's a solid foundation for Dems/Obama to work from ~

Sooz

Obama is also getting ravaged in the polls.
He might want to change his approach to being an executive and start executin'. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 08/17/11 7:04 am • # 135 
Administrator

Some people certainly read a whole bunch of stuff that isn't written.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 7:10 am • # 136 
sooz08 wrote:
Chaos333 wrote:

Sooz

sooz, Obama's approval ratings are the lowest ever, so he's in no better shape.  People are upset with both parties.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 7:10 am • # 137 
Administrator

Good point, oskar ~ but Obama's lowered numbers [which I'm pretty sure are back over 40 again] are more than double the GOP numbers ~ I also read somewhere [and wish I had posted it] that something like the past 5 or 6 prezzes have hit 39% in their first terms ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/17/11 7:12 am • # 138 
Editorialist

No one is offering solutions.  

PostPosted: 08/17/11 7:14 am • # 139 
Administrator

I agree, jeanne, that people are upset with both parties ~ that's why I see this as a great opportunity IF [BIG IF] it is managed well ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/17/11 7:14 am • # 140 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:

Good point, oskar ~ but Obama's lowered numbers [which I'm pretty sure are back over 40 again] are more than double the GOP numbers ~ I also read somewhere [and wish I had posted it] that something like the past 5 or 6 prezzes have hit 39% in their first terms ~

Sooz

Congress in general has the worst numbers around these days, I think. 

PostPosted: 08/17/11 7:19 am • # 141 
Administrator

Inaccuracies serve little purpose...

http://www.politifact.com...meter/promises/obameter/

PostPosted: 08/17/11 7:26 am • # 142 
Administrator

There's 8 or more pages to the Obameter, oskar ~ can you narrow down what you find inaccurate/objectionable?

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/17/11 7:28 am • # 143 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Inaccuracies serve little purpose...

http://www.politifact.com...meter/promises/obameter/
Then feel free to research and "correct" each and every one. Just remember, I get to be the judge of how acceptable your sources are. Image 

PostPosted: 08/17/11 7:30 am • # 144 
Administrator

sooz08 wrote:
There's 8 or more pages to the Obameter, oskar ~ can you narrow down what you find inaccurate/objectionable?

Sooz
Creating the impression that it's all "promise kept" is innacurate in itself.

PostPosted: 08/17/11 7:38 am • # 145 
Administrator

There are also categories for 'total promises', 'promises broken', 'promises in the works', 'promises not yet rated', etc ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/17/11 7:55 am • # 146 
Editorialist

Geez...I have to do everything....lol

PostPosted: 08/17/11 8:55 am • # 147 
Administrator

Chaos333 wrote:
It was already done. Pay attention. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 08/17/11 9:49 am • # 148 
Chaos, I understand what hs supporters think he has done and what he has done although I agree with oskar that even the halth care bill was half assed.  Some think that's better than nothing.  Some of us think that it would be better to do it right even if it means piece by piece.

Dems are saying he can't get anything done with the repubs in Congress doing what they're doing.  So what he may have done is not the issue for voting in this election.  The solutions I was asking about concern how will he overcome the problems that are keeping him from doing anything now?  Why should I vote for a guy who acknowledges the repubs keep him from doing anything?

PostPosted: 08/17/11 9:53 am • # 149 
"Why should I vote for a guy who acknowledges the repubs keep him from doing anything?"

Because you may not like the repubs keeping him from doing anything you might want done. Also... isn't a bill that goes half way the same thing as doing it piece by piece?

PostPosted: 08/17/11 10:07 am • # 150 
jeannept
 If he can't get his great ideas through why should he be reelected?  

Because the repugnants have no GREAT ideas. Anyone who can't see that republicans are pathological by this time
 probably won't ever see it until one of the stooges from the right is elected and makes us a 3rd world country.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next   Page 6 of 12   [ 293 posts ] New Topic Add Reply