It is currently 06/16/24 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next   Page 4 of 12   [ 293 posts ]
 Post subject: Rick Perry's extremism
PostPosted: 08/16/11 6:06 am • # 76 
I'm havng a few problems with the article.  They are the same problems I have when right wing media does it to the dems.  "almost like" if he does this, in my view, is not the same as accusing him of treason.  "Dunno, you need to ask him" in response to a question is not attacking the President's patriotism, imo.  Isn't Obama attacking the repubs love of country when he says what he does about them?  That's politics.  Perry is an asshole and will say a lot of stupid things.  There is no need to exaggerate them.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 6:14 am • # 77 
Administrator

There are frequent inaccuracies and exagerations in Bennen's comments.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 6:17 am • # 78 
oskar576 wrote:
Yeah, oskar, I've noticed that.  I hate it as much as I do the same by right wingers.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 6:18 am • # 79 
Administrator

jeannept wrote:
oskar576 wrote:
Yeah, oskar, I've noticed that.  I hate it as much as I do the same by right wingers.

Perhaps you've noticed my constant griping about the shoddy crap that passes for journalism.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 6:23 am • # 80 
oskar576 wrote:
jeannept wrote:
oskar576 wrote:

Perhaps you've noticed my constant griping about the shoddy crap that passes for journalism.

Yes, I have, oskar, and agree with you.  And, it is on both sides, not just the right wing media.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 6:25 am • # 81 
Administrator

I disagree with that comment, oskar ~ Benen is a blogger who writes on many different topics/angles a day ~ anyone doing what he does [and even other journalists who write a daily or weekly column] is going to make occasional misstatements ~ Benen is better than most in my view because he generally always corrects his own mistakes ~ as for exaggeration, his interpretation is how HE sees things ~ whether or not you or I or anyone else sees something as an exaggeration is your or my or anyone else's interpretation ~ 

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/16/11 6:33 am • # 82 

sooz, I don't consider him a good source for anything because of his extreme bias.  I don't consider his opinions worth much because of his exaggerations.  I also don't listen to fox news because of their bias and exaggerations and extreme interpretations.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 6:42 am • # 83 
Administrator

I didn't say he wasn't better than most. In spite of his obvious bias he's relatively reasonable.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 6:47 am • # 84 
Administrator

That's certainly your choice to make, jeanne ~ and that's really my point ~ we all interpret things thru our own filters ~ what one sees as an exaggeration might not be so to another ~ and, of course, vice versa ~ I also believe we all make mistakes from time to time ~ i know I did while still working and still do ~ but the important thing to me [and thankfully to my former boss] is taking responsibility for the mistake and correcting it ~ and to me, there is a huge difference between a mistake and intentional dishonesty ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/16/11 6:52 am • # 85 
Administrator

Benen is definitely biased, oskar ~ I don't know of any bloggers who are not biased, one way or the other ~ no argument on that ~ and I agree generally with your take on 'jounalism' today ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/16/11 7:08 am • # 86 
Administrator

sooz08 wrote:
Benen is definitely biased, oskar ~ I don't know of any bloggers who are not biased, one way or the other ~ no argument on that ~ and I agree generally with your take on 'jounalism' today ~

Sooz
Especially with spellcheck available...
Har!
(Disclaimer: Merely a bit of leg-pulling)

PostPosted: 08/16/11 7:44 am • # 87 
Editorialist

There's a difference between attacking parties and policies, and attacking someone personally.  

PostPosted: 08/16/11 8:13 am • # 88 
Part of the problem is I don't really care that much for blogs.  Anyone can start a blog.  Do they have standards they must live up to or can they just give their opinions on everything whether based on truth or not?  Obviously this guy has a lot of followers, but then so does Rush.

Do you say Perry accused anyone of treason?  He said if this is done then it will be almost like.  It hasn't even been done yet.  Do you say he threatened anyone's life?  I don't eqaute treating ugly with murder and again the thing hasn't even been done yet.  Do you say he attacked Obama's patriotism?  He answered a question.  He at worst questioned it but did not attack it.  I don't see what Benen said as a valid interpretation.  I see it as total exaggeration.

Of course we all make mistakes.  Do you think that's what this was?  That he should correct it?

PostPosted: 08/16/11 8:19 am • # 89 
Administrator

jeannept wrote:
Part of the problem is I don't really care that much for blogs.  Anyone can start a blog.  Do they have standards they must live up to or can they just give their opinions on everything whether based on truth or not?  Obviously this guy has a lot of followers, but then so does Rush.

Do you say Perry accused anyone of treason?  He said if this is done then it will be almost like.  It hasn't even been done yet.  Do you say he threatened anyone's life?  I don't eqaute treating ugly with murder and again the thing hasn't even been done yet.  Do you say he attacked Obama's patriotism?  He answered a question.  He at worst questioned it but did not attack it.  I don't see what Benen said as a valid interpretation.  I see it as total exaggeration.

Of course we all make mistakes.  Do you think that's what this was?  That he should correct it?

Who should or shouldn't correct what? Bennen? Perry?

PostPosted: 08/16/11 8:30 am • # 90 
Administrator

No, jeanne ~ I believe Benen accurately stated Perry's own words ~ and that he [and everyone else] is entitled to his own opinions and his own interpretations ~ and we are entitled to share or reject those opinions and interpretations ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/16/11 8:30 am • # 91 
Editorialist

Look, I'll give the Republicans credit for playing the game of "I didn't actually say_______" game far better than any Democrat does. (We can thank Rove and the McCain "black child" for that.) 

That's not to say it stops them from actually SAYING ignorant, vile, personal things about the POTUS.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 8:33 am • # 92 
Yes, and Perry will do that, I'm sure.  So, I am all for going after him when he really does it.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 8:35 am • # 93 
oskar576 wrote:
jeannept wrote:

Who should or shouldn't correct what? Bennen? Perry?

I was responding to sooz.  She said Benen is good about correcting his mistakes.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 8:35 am • # 94 
Administrator

Huh?
To what are you responding?

Edit: Mind-tapping, are you? [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img] Look at the times of our posts.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 8:38 am • # 95 
sooz08 wrote:
No, jeanne ~ I believe Benen accurately stated Perry's own words ~ and that he [and everyone else] is entitled to his own opinions and his own interpretations ~ and we are entitled to share or reject those opinions and interpretations ~

Sooz
Well, I don't see how he accurately "stated" Perry's own words because Perry didn't accuse anyone of treason, threaten murder or attack Obama's patriotism.  He did interpret them in a way I feel is innacurate.  You agree with the interpretation.  That's fine.  We will disagree a lot in the coming months leading to election.

Correction, the quotes he used were accurate quotes.  But to turn around and state that Perry said something else is not.

Last edited by jeannept on 08/16/11 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 8:41 am • # 96 
oskar576 wrote:
Huh?
To what are you responding?

Edit: Mind-tapping, are you? Image Look at the times of our posts.

I was responding to sooz's post #83

PostPosted: 08/16/11 8:42 am • # 97 
Administrator

The lot of them can do as they wish. However, continued inaccuracies and/or exagerations do nothing but undermine their credibility and the validity of their opinions... in my opinion.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 11:34 am • # 98 
Editorialist

Perry on Bernanke: ‘I dunno what y'all would do to him in Iowa but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas'

Former Bush Aides Slam Perry's Bernanke Comments: ‘Inappropriate And Unpresidential,' Too ‘Cowboy'

Former Bush Deputy Press Secretary Tony Fratto spoke out against Perry's comments just moments after ThinkProgress first reported them, writing on Twitter that the they were “inappropriate and unpresidential.â€

PostPosted: 08/16/11 11:47 am • # 99 
So now we care what Bush's former press secretary says?  The Bush camp and the Perry camp do not get along.

In Texas, treating someone pretty ugly is making them listen to Perry for an hour.  That's as bad as you can get.

oops not press secretary. deputy press secretary.

PostPosted: 08/16/11 12:24 pm • # 100 
Administrator

Personally, I'm interested in what most anyone has to say about any candidate ~ then it's up to me to determine whether I find it valid or important ~ or not ~ for me, sometimes the most surprising sources spark perspectives ~ but it's good to know the two camps don't get along these days ~ that adds its own perspective ~

Sooz

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next   Page 4 of 12   [ 293 posts ] New Topic Add Reply