It is currently 05/18/24 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: "Ryan's Radical Rule?"
PostPosted: 12/31/10 5:23 am • # 1 
Administrator

The Rs know better than others that for every action, there is a reaction ~ and I don't see much of anything they won't at least try ~ but this is breathtakingly brazen even for today's Rs ~ Image ~ Sooz

RYAN'S RADICAL RULE?.... House Republicans quietly advanced procedural budget rules last week, which would be funny if they weren't so ridiculous. But there's a second part of this that shouldn't go overlooked.

We talked the other day about Republicans' "Cutgo" rules. The policy allows the GOP to try to keep slashing taxes, without having to pay for them, while requiring spending cuts to pay for new or expanded programs.

As Paul Krugman explained this morning, "Spending increases will have to be offset, but revenue losses from tax cuts won't. Oh, and revenue increases, even if they come from the elimination of tax loopholes, won't count either: any spending increase must be offset by spending cuts elsewhere; it can't be paid for with additional taxes." The Nobel laureate labeled this "the new voodoo."

And then there's the other part of House Republicans' new budget rules.

Quote:

A little-noticed detail in the new rules proposed by House GOP leaders would greatly increase the power of Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., the incoming chairman of the House Budget Committee. As National Journal's Katy O'Donnell reports, the new rules say that, for fiscal 2011, the chairman will set spending limits without needing a vote.

If that sounds insane, that's because it is. Under the proposed rules, Ryan would be empowered to single-handedly establish spending levels if the House and Senate struggle to agree on a budget resolution. Just as important, Ryan's levels would be binding on the chamber, without even be subjected to a vote.

The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities explained:

Quote:

This rule change ... means that by voting to adopt the proposed new rules on January 5, a vote on which party discipline will be strictly enforced, the House could effectively be adopting a budget resolution and limits for appropriations bills that it has never even seen, much less debated and had an opportunity to amend. [...]

Once Rep. Ryan places in the Congressional Record discretionary funding limits set at the [2008] level, they will become binding on the House, and any attempt to provide funding levels that allow for less severe cuts will be out of order.

In addition to inviting a crisis and almost-unavoidable government shutdown, Pat Garofalo reminds us, "The proposed change also seems to fly in the face of the GOP's promise to end backroom deals and increase transparency, as with one vote, the GOP House may yoke itself to a budget that has never been made public."

Worse, the chamber would be forced to honor mandatory spending levels, established by one crackpot lawmaker, which the rest of Congress would never have even voted on.

We're starting to see some outrage from House Democrats on this, but the fix may be in.

—[url=mailto:sbenen@washingtonmonthly.com]Steve Benen[/url] 10:15 AM December 31, 2010

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 027329.php

PostPosted: 12/31/10 3:19 pm • # 2 
It won't work and they'll appear to the public to be what they truly are... stupid. To give that much power to one man is beyond stupid: it's brazenly unAmerican and arguably bordering on sedition.

PostPosted: 12/31/10 3:27 pm • # 3 
Sedition?  How so?

PostPosted: 12/31/10 3:29 pm • # 4 
I said "arguably"...

Tell me why it's not?

PostPosted: 12/31/10 3:34 pm • # 5 
You're the one claiming it's arguably bordering on sedition.  I was wondering how you arrived at that.

PostPosted: 12/31/10 3:51 pm • # 6 
Well it seems appointing one man to make a decision about such a fundamental government process called the budget, without a vote or consultation with anyone - sorry - it sounds like a dictatorship your country just spent hundreds of billions of dollars to depose.

This new policy direction is going to prove so controversial in the near future that the whole government could come to a choke. To pass on to one man more power than any of the other pillars of your democracy possess, is either stupid, dangerous or seditious. Please... tell me how THAT is the "American Way"? To my mind, it is the antithesis of everything America has stood for for centuries.

PostPosted: 01/01/11 6:22 am • # 7 
There's no justification for labelling any of this "sedition."

It's not in any way instituting a dictatorship.  It's a method of streamlining the appropriations and budgetting process, for which the door was opened by the Democrats' decision to not pass the required budget resolution for FY 2011.  The rule only applies to the current fiscal year.  I wouldn't choose for such a rule to be implemented, but then I would choose for the House leadership in the previous Congress to have followed federal law by passing a budget resolution that would have set appropriation limits.  Budget resolutions have very limited rules, with spending limits in them set by the House leadership in any case.

The House over the last 4 years has come to rely almost completely on closed and special rules which prevent members from bring any but House leadership-approved amendments to the floor, shutting off debate and perverting the legislative process.  I'm hoping that Congress will return to the use of a more open legislative process.   

PostPosted: 01/01/11 6:42 am • # 8 
Enjoy your repugnant dictatorship.

PostPosted: 01/01/11 7:20 am • # 9 
Administrator

Quote:
gopqed wrote:

The House over the last 4 years has come to rely almost completely on closed and special rules which prevent members from bring any but House leadership-approved amendments to the floor, shutting off debate and perverting the legislative process.  I'm hoping that Congress will return to the use of a more open legislative process.   
Nice swipe at Ds, gop ~ seems to me the Rs have done a stellar job at "... perverting the legislative process." ~

Rather than focusing on who did what when, and ways to 'get even', what concerns me is the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities comment in the op that "... by voting to adopt the proposed new rules on January 5, a vote on which party discipline will be strictly enforced, the House could effectively be adopting a budget resolution and limits for appropriations bills that it has never even seen, much less debated and had an opportunity to amend. [...]" ~ emphasis/bolding is mine ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply