It is currently 05/12/24 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/02/11 6:14 am • # 1 
Administrator

I'm curious to see how long Boehner holds himself and his party to the 'adult' standard ~ Image ~ Sooz

RISKING 'THE FIRST DEFAULT IN HISTORY CAUSED PURELY BY INSANITY'.... In mid-November, after the dust had settled from the midterm elections, incoming House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) acknowledged that he's well aware of the fact that his chamber is going to have to extend the federal debt limit. He noted that's already "made it pretty clear" to his own caucus that Republicans are "going to have to deal with it as adults."

Boehner added, "Whether we like it or not, the federal government has obligations and we have obligations on our part."

Dealing with the debt limit "as adults" doesn't appear to be going well. This morning, two right-wing lawmakers -- Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) and Rep.-elect Mike Kelly (R-Minn.) -- reiterated their opposition to raising the debt limit on CBS's "Face the Nation."

Soon after, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said on NBC's "Meet the Press" that failing to raise the debt ceiling "would be very bad for the position of the United States in the world at large." Graham, however, quickly followed that by saying he's prepared to hold the debt limit hostage "until a plan is in place" for the nation's long-term fiscal challenges that meets his satisfaction.

So much for dealing with this "as adults."

Austan Goolsbee, chairman of President Obama's Council of Economic Advisers, doesn't sound pleased with the direction of Republican rhetoric.

Quote:

The chairman of President Obama's Council of Economic Advisers said today it would "insanity" for Congress to refuse to lift the nation's debt ceiling, and that inaction would be "catastrophic" for the nation's financial recovery.

"This is not a game," CEA chairman Austan Goolsbee told Jake Tapper on ABC's This Week. "The debt ceiling is not something to toy with."

Goolsbee added, "If we get to the point where you've damaged the full faith and credit of the United States, that would be the first default in history caused purely by insanity.... There would be no reason for us to default, other than that would be some kind of game."

No doubt aware that global markets might pay attention to the U.S. political discourse, and may not fully appreciate the stupidity and recklessness of Republican tactics, Goolsbee went on to say, "We shouldn't even be discussing that. People will get the wrong idea. The United States is not in danger of default.... We do not have problems such as that. This would be lumping us in with a series of countries through history that I don't think we would want to be lumped in with."

Goolsbee also said, "I don't see why anybody's talking about playing chicken with the debt ceiling." If only more congressional Republicans had the wisdom and maturity to think the same way.

—Steve Benen 12:05 PM January 2, 2011

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 027341.php

PostPosted: 01/02/11 6:35 am • # 2 

Were you as critical of the Democrats in 2006 when every Democrat in the Senate voted against a necessary increase in the the debt ceiling?

It's always a political football, and it's used by the party out of power in the White House to extract concessions from the White House.

PostPosted: 01/02/11 6:49 am • # 3 
Administrator

Yes, I was as critical of the Ds 4 years ago, gop ~ you still don't get that I am anti the political gaming that affects real people's lives no matter who is doing it ~ I'm sick of 'well, a did something in 1852 so we're entitled to do it too' ~ the US is confronting real problems ~ and I want the US Congress [both Ds and Rs] to act like adults and deal with those problems ~ I want Congress to do their jobs ~ no bullshit, no dishonesty, no deceit ~ and NO political gaming replacing legit policy differences ~ period ~ I don't see that happening from at least 50% or more in Congress ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/02/11 6:52 am • # 4 
Part of "acting like adults" is using the circumstances at hand to forge compromises in policy that provide for an acceptable solution.

PostPosted: 01/02/11 6:58 am • # 5 
Administrator

Perhaps you should whisper that advice in the ears of McConnell, Boehner, et al ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/02/11 7:02 am • # 6 
That's what they are doing, as Lindsey Graham indicated.  The non-adults here are people like Benen who are whining about legitimate discussion of priorities and policy in the context of the debt-ceiling.

Congress and the White House will work this out.

PostPosted: 01/02/11 7:11 am • # 7 
Administrator

And your last post exemplifies perfectly the difference between you and me, gop ~ you immediately jump to defend the Rs while taking a swipe at a liberal without even acknowledging the Rs behavior of the past couple of years ~ explain to me how Rs are being adults when both McConnell and Boehner have publicly stated that they don't intend to compromise on anything short of center-right ~ Boehner even refuses to use the word 'compromise' ~ I'm going to say this so that you can understand it: I do not care who is playing games ~ I want Congress, as a whole, to grow up and do their jobs ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/02/11 8:00 am • # 8 
Administrator

Point well made, sooz.

PostPosted: 01/03/11 4:01 am • # 9 
Administrator

Thanks, oskar ~ here is more on Lindsay Graham's position ~ gop sees Graham as an example of Rs being adult/responsible and "... using the circumstances at hand to forge compromises in policy that provide for an acceptable solution." ~ I see Graham's position as another petulant, arrogant, and dangerous R political gaming tactic ~ Sooz

WHAT PASSES FOR 'REASONABLE'.... Following up on an item we touched on briefly yesterday, it's worth appreciating in more detail a comment Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) made on "Meet the Press " yesterday.

Graham was asked about raising the federal debt limit, and he acknowledged that failure to do so "would be very bad for the position of the United States in the world at large." Graham added, however, that he's nevertheless inclined to play a radical game of chicken, with the economy and the stability of the United States' role in the global financial system hanging in the balance:

Quote:

"I will not vote for the debt ceiling increase until I see a plan in place that will deal with our long-term debt obligations, starting with Social Security, a real bipartisan effort to make sure that Social Security stays solvent, adjusting the age, looking at means tests for benefits. On the spending side, I'm not going to vote for debt ceiling increase unless we go back to 2008 spending levels, cutting discretionary spending."

As Jonathan Cohn notes, Graham realizes that the results of this could be catastrophic, "But that's not stopping him from making his demands. And that's particularly disheartening, since he is supposed to be one of the more reasonable members of the Republican Senate caucus."

There's nothing subtle about Graham's gambit here. It's the latest in a series of Republican hostage strategies: either (a) Democrats agree to cut Social Security and slash funding for education and health care; or (b) Graham and his cohorts will deliberately gut the full faith and credit of the United States government, and send the global economy into a catastrophic tailspin.

And as far as the political mainstream goes, President Obama is supposed to be able to work with "reasonable" Republicans like Graham, who's ostensibly less extreme than many of his GOP colleagues.

It's going to be a long two years.

—Steve Benen 9:20 AM January 3, 2011

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 027349.php

PostPosted: 01/03/11 4:31 am • # 10 
I hope Obama stands his ground. I hope the world economy takes a huge nosedive as a result of repugnicant obstinence. I hope americans blame Obama and elect Saint Sarah as their new president.

Why?...

Because then it will become readily apparent to the entire world that overall, the American electorate are nothing but a bunch of loudmouthed, uneducated bobbleheads for their corporate puppetmeisters.

Of course... none of that will really happen - in fact, quite the opposite. Obama will aquiesse. The economy will remain stagnant. The people will still blame Obama but Saint Sarah won't stand a hope in hell of being elected and the repugnicant party will continue to dance on the edge of stupidity.

The world rolls on...

PostPosted: 01/03/11 6:17 am • # 11 
Administrator

More detail on the man gop holds up as an example of Rs acting in an adult and responsible manner ~ Image

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply