It is currently 05/24/24 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next   Page 1 of 12   [ 293 posts ]
 Post subject: Rick Perry's extremism
PostPosted: 08/13/11 1:57 am • # 1 
Administrator

The more I'm reading/learning about Rick Perry, the more convinced I am that he will give Michele Bachmann real competition in 'extremism', in both religious fervor and policy positions ~ and since he's expected to announce his own campaign for POTUS today, I'm thinking he needs his own thread for us to track him ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/13/11 2:05 am • # 2 
Administrator

Is something considered a 'premise' after it is proven with hard evidence? ~ Image ~ Sooz

Perry Doesn't ‘Buy Into The Premise' That Rescuing America's Auto Companies Saved Jobs

Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) is set to jump into the presidential race today, bringing with him his beliefs that Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are unconstitutional “Ponzi schemes.â€

PostPosted: 08/13/11 2:13 am • # 3 
Administrator

What is unsettling for me is that Perry is just getting warmed up ~ Image ~ Sooz

Rick Perry Says Social Security And Medicare Are Unconstitutional

Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) has, to say the least, a very odd understanding of the Constitution. He thinks Texas should be able to opt out of Social Security, and he believes that everything from federal public school programs to clean air laws are unconstitutional. Yet in an interview with the Daily Beast's Andrew Romano, Perry makes his most outlandish claim to date — Social Security and Medicare are unconstitutional:

[quote]

[i]The Constitution says that “the Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes… to provide for the… general Welfare of the United States.â€

PostPosted: 08/13/11 2:18 am • # 4 
Administrator

A BIG question for me is why Perry is announcing his candidacy in South Carolina, not in his home state of Texas [where he is currently serving as governor] ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/13/11 2:21 am • # 5 
Administrator

Rick Perry and other fellow travellers aren`t the problem.
It is the millions of ignorant, delusional and uninformed voters who are the problem otherwise the Perrys, Bachmanns etc would have been laughed off the political stage long ago.

PostPosted: 08/13/11 3:11 am • # 6 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
It is the millions of ignorant, delusional and uninformed voters who are the problem otherwise the Perrys, Bachmanns etc would have been laughed off the political stage long ago.
Yes, Oskar.

I honestly think a large number of voters make their decision this way:

Are things relatively good for me and those I know?
Yes - Vote for the incumbent
No - Vote for someone else

PostPosted: 08/13/11 3:22 am • # 7 
Administrator

John59 wrote:
oskar576 wrote:
Yes, Oskar.

Methinks you forgot one.
Is he a god-fearin`, fire-breathin` bible thumper... if yes he gets the vote cuz god will protect me from his lunacy anyway but he`ll be stickin`it to everybody else.

PostPosted: 08/13/11 3:28 am • # 8 
Administrator

John59 wrote:
oskar576 wrote:
Yes, Oskar.

Oh no, John. For most voters their decision making is not as simple as you claim.
Let me help you with a few more criteria.
"Have I heard that name before positively mentioned on 'Fox and Friends'?"
"Did the candidate participate at a prayer session with Pat Robertson on the 700 Club?"

PostPosted: 08/13/11 3:59 am • # 9 
Editorialist

[PERRY:] [b]I don't think our founding fathers when they were putting the term “general welfareâ€

PostPosted: 08/13/11 4:12 am • # 10 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
John59 wrote:
Yes, Oskar.

Methinks you forgot one.
Is he a god-fearin`, fire-breathin` bible thumper... if yes he gets the vote cuz god will protect me from his lunacy anyway but he`ll be stickin`it to everybody else.

Oh, but I was referring to voters who actually think, if only for a minute.

PostPosted: 08/13/11 4:42 am • # 11 
Administrator

Oh, but I was referring to voters who actually think, if only for a minute.
They`re getting scarecerer and scarcerer... maybe they are now a minority.

PostPosted: 08/13/11 6:07 am • # 12 
sooz, he isn't announcing in Texas because he knows he has the votes and financial backing here.  He is busy now rounding up the support and finances in the other states.  He doesn't like paying for anything himself.  Texas doesn't really matter to him any more except as a tool.

People have to be really careful with underestimating him.  Voters are pissed at both parties and the federal governmet in general.  Perry's emphasis on smaller federal govt and more powers back in the hands of the states may actually work.  It looks like an alterntive to the two parties as they are now.  It doesn't have to make sense.

PostPosted: 08/13/11 7:06 am • # 13 

Top 10 Things Texas Gov. Rick Perry Doesn't Want You To Know About Him

ImageWith widespread discontent on the right over their current presidential field, all eyes are trained on a likely new entrant: Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R).

Perry, who has been elected governor three times and served for more than 10 years, enjoys bona fides from social conservatives and Tea Party-types alike. Glenn Beck even described Perry as a man he was so enamored with that he wanted to “French kiss.â€

PostPosted: 08/13/11 8:45 am • # 14 
Editorialist

11) rhymes with Scary

PostPosted: 08/13/11 8:48 am • # 15 
Administrator

macroscopic wrote:
11) rhymes with Scary
hairy fairy

PostPosted: 08/13/11 10:24 am • # 16 
Can you picture the late night talk shows if this turns out to be a Perry/Bauchmann, Bauchmann/Palin or Perry/Palin ticket?  And I am sure there are idiots who would actually vote for any of the combinations.

PostPosted: 08/13/11 11:17 am • # 17 
For some people (and we know some of them), the candidate just needs an "R" after their name.

PostPosted: 08/14/11 2:13 am • # 18 
sooz
 BIG question for me is why Perry is announcing his candidacy in South Carolina, not in his home state of Texas [where he is currently serving as governor]

Isn't South Carolina the only state that still flies the confederate flag over the capital? He's just doubling down on the redneck vote IMO

PostPosted: 08/14/11 2:18 am • # 19 
So we're getting what seems like a majority here that agree that about half of Americans are dumb as a box of rocks.

PostPosted: 08/14/11 2:25 am • # 20 
Rocks might have some value...

PostPosted: 08/14/11 2:44 am • # 21 
Administrator

bunkerhill14 wrote:
So we're getting what seems like a majority here that agree that about half of Americans are dumb as a box of rocks.
Maybe not dumb but certainly totally ignorant, desinterested, incurious, easy to manipulate, trained by constant repetition of soundbites, irrational and confused.

PostPosted: 08/14/11 3:04 am • # 22 
Editorialist

[quote="macroscopic"][PERRY:] [b]I don't think our founding fathers when they were putting the term “general welfareâ€

PostPosted: 08/14/11 3:26 am • # 23 
Editorialist

John59 wrote:
oskar576 wrote:
Yes, Oskar.

If those were the criteria, it would be fair ball and a lot better than what happens now.  They actually vote for a slogan that sounds good but don't seem to think through what it really means to them, their State or the country.  They're also very content as long as it seems it's the other guy that's going to get the shaft.

PostPosted: 08/14/11 5:38 am • # 24 
I think there are a lot more things involved.  Certainly there are those who vote party regardless.  There are those who simply will not vote for a black person or a Mormon etc.  There are those who will always vote for the incumbent or againt the incumbent.  You can't do anything about those people.  Then there are those who are pissed off at both parties.  We know the repubs have as their goal getting rid of Obama for whatever reason, imo, mostly because he is a lefty.  There are those who supported Obama who feel he has not been a good President.  There are those on the left who didn't support Obama because they felt he wouldn't be a good President and have been proven right.  That one includes me.  I feel he has been a wimp for the most part.  He compromises on things that shouldn't be compromised on.  He makes a strong statement and then gives in.  The fact is, the chances are the makeup of the Congress will stay basically the same.  If Obama can't do anything but blame them now, then to vote for him is to vote for 4 more years of the same bullshit.  People want real change, not just words.  There is no candidate that will make real change.  I am not one who will vote for a little better than the other.  If you have proven yourself unworthy, you don't get my vote.  That doesn't mean the repub gets it.  That leaves people like me to have to decide how best to handle it.  Others who have the same problem look at the other candidates and look for a difference.  The tea party showed how people ran to people they thought were different.  Perry appears to be different.  Could he win because of that, and because, to many, Texas looks good on paper......yep.  He never has and never will get my vote, but he could pull this off.  The dems have to try to appeal to people who are pissed at both parties.  They have to tell us why we should elect him again.  He has to do more than the rah rah bs he did about the US and S & P.  We know what he was left with from Bushie.  However, at what point does he have to take the credit or blame?  He is blaming everyone else and everything.  All that says to me is he can't handle it.  The dems are not saying what will happen if we reelect him, what will be different.  I think he could very well lose the election if they don't start campaigning better.  We could end up with someone like Perry as President.

PostPosted: 08/14/11 1:39 pm • # 25 
jeannept
If Obama can't do anything but blame them now, then to vote for him is to vote for 4 more years of the same bullshit. People want real change, not just words. There is no candidate that will make real change.

If he did nothing but pick his nose for 4 years he'd be better for average Americans than any of the bozos the right has running.IMO.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next   Page 1 of 12   [ 293 posts ] New Topic Add Reply