It is currently 05/24/24 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next   Page 11 of 12   [ 293 posts ]
 Post subject: Rick Perry's extremism
PostPosted: 09/02/11 10:03 am • # 251 
Administrator

Uncle Joe Stalin was like that.

PostPosted: 09/03/11 2:08 am • # 252 
Administrator

This goes well beyond gwb's allegedly 'funny' quip that a dictatorship would be easier but only if he was the dictator ~ Image ~ Sooz

Abortion Ruling Won't Stop Perry

A Texas judge just blocked an onerous abortion law championed by Gov. Rick Perry—but that won't keep him from pushing to reverse the 'tragedy' of 'Roe v. Wade' if he reaches the White House.

When Texas's 82nd legislature convened in January, the state was facing what the [url=http://www.chron.com/opinion/editorials/article/Perry-s-priorities-While-Texas-faces-draconian-1607312.php]Houston Chronicle called a “sickening shortfallâ€

PostPosted: 09/03/11 3:51 am • # 253 
perry is scarey...and what is really scarey is that the man does indeed stand a chance of getting the presidency just because he's "different' and from Texas.

A women's meeting at a country club in Florida with Congresswoman Debbie Van Shulz highlighted my feelings:  A woman stood up and told Shulz that she didn't think the "message" of the Dems was getting out like the repugs were getting out there message and she sincerely wished (hoped) the Dems would hire some PR people.......I absolutely agree with the lady.

PostPosted: 09/03/11 4:47 am • # 254 
Public relations is one thing... PROPAGANDA is another thing entirely.

PostPosted: 09/07/11 2:22 am • # 255 
Administrator

The amount of hard dollars being tossed at campaigns [especially post-Citizens United] makes me ill, literally ill, when I think about the good that even a fraction of those hard dollars could do ~ Image ~ Sooz

Perry's Controversial Money Man

PostPosted: 09/07/11 3:50 am • # 256 
Editorialist

Two things bother me about Perry (indeed all the far right GOP candidates):

1.  Despite how ridiculous and short-sighted their positions are, there are a lot of Americans that support them.  I often read the comments sections following Internet news articles and the vociferous support these guys get is downright scary.  Perry, Bachmann or Ron Paul really do stand a chance of becoming President if they get the GOP nod.

2.  Obama and the Dems are going to suffer because they won't have a real nomination process.  That leaves the field and all the press coverage for the next nine months open to the Republicans.  What's worse, the Republicans can run on wishy-washy, pie-in-the-sky pipe dreams that don't have to face the scrutiny of real life, whereas Obama has to live his campaign in the face of extreme opposition from Congress.  He's going to come off looking ineffectual.  The only comfort I can see in the situation is that Bush was in much the same position in 2004 and overcame it.  Tempering that comfort level is the fact that Bush had a somewhat friendly Congress to work with, a booming economy and the fact that most of his unpopularity was grounded in his foreign affairs policy which really don't play a big part in American elections.

PostPosted: 09/07/11 4:02 am • # 257 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
Two things bother me about Perry (indeed all the far right GOP candidates):

1.  Despite how ridiculous and short-sighted their positions are, there are a lot of Americans that support them.  I often read the comments sections following Internet news articles and the vociferous support these guys get is downright scary.  Perry, Bachmann or Ron Paul really do stand a chance of becoming President if they get the GOP nod.

2.  Obama and the Dems are going to suffer because they won't have a real nomination process.  That leaves the field and all the press coverage for the next nine months open to the Republicans.  What's worse, the Republicans can run on wishy-washy, pie-in-the-sky pipe dreams that don't have to face the scrutiny of real life, whereas Obama has to live his campaign in the face of extreme opposition from Congress.  He's going to come off looking ineffectual.  The only comfort I can see in the situation is that Bush was in much the same position in 2004 and overcame it.  Tempering that comfort level is the fact that Bush had a somewhat friendly Congress to work with, a booming economy and the fact that most of his unpopularity was grounded in his foreign affairs policy which really don't play a big part in American elections.

the economy really wasn't booming in 2004.  Bush still had not created a single job in his first term during the campaign, a fact that Kerry strangely didn't capitalize on.  i doubt the GOP will be that generous with Obama.

on the plus side, Obama is one hell of a campaigner, and he DID help the US survive the worst downturn since the Depression.  if he can just get some job growth happening, he will look pretty good by election time.

PostPosted: 09/07/11 4:22 am • # 258 
Editorialist

the economy really wasn't booming in 2004.  Bush still had not created a single job in his first term during the campaign, a fact that Kerry strangely didn't capitalize on.  i doubt the GOP will be that generous with Obama

Unemployment was at 5.5%, lower than in the few previous years, and the GDP was growing at 4%, higher than anytime since 2000.  In a lot of folks books, and when compared to now, the economy was booming.

PostPosted: 09/07/11 4:24 am • # 259 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
the economy really wasn't booming in 2004.  Bush still had not created a single job in his first term during the campaign, a fact that Kerry strangely didn't capitalize on.  i doubt the GOP will be that generous with Obama

Unemployment was at 5.5%, lower than in the few previous years, and the GDP was growing at 4%, higher than anytime since 2000.  In a lot of folks books, and when compared to now, the economy was booming.
job creation was almost as anemic as it is now, and, as i said, Bush had not created a single job by the Summer of 2004.  GDP averaged +3.5% during that recovery, but Bush only created 1.1M jobs in eight years- the worst record since Hoover.

jim- i don't think most people care if GDP is growing 5000%, if it doesn't translate to jobs.  that is my point.

PostPosted: 09/07/11 4:58 am • # 260 
Question:  Can a former President run for Vice President??  (and of course you know what I'm thinking! or should know....)Image

PostPosted: 09/07/11 6:29 am • # 261 
Mr. and Mrs. President [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 09/08/11 10:57 am • # 262 
Administrator

Here's some insight on the real Rick Perry ~ protoplasm gone bad ~ Image ~ Sooz

AlterNet / By Jim Hightower

How Rick Perry Has Been on the Public Dole His Whole Life

When this taxpayer-supported lifer flits into your town to declare that he will slash public benefits, he means in your life, not his.

His top Perry Tale is a creationist story about what he has modestly branded "The Texas Miracle." While the rest of the country is mired in joblessness, says the miracle worker, his state has added 1.2 million jobs during his 10-year tenure.

I've built "a job-creating machine," the governor gushed during one of his recent flits across Iowa, and a Perry PR aide smugly added, "The governor's job creation record speaks for itself."

Actually, it doesn't. Far from having the best unemployment rate in the nation, the Lone Star State ranks a middling 26th, behind New York, Massachusetts and other states whose "liberal" governments he routinely mocks.

Even more damning, Perry's Texas is not creating nearly enough jobs to keep up with its fast-growing population. Those 1.2 million new positions are 629,000 short of the jobs needed just to bring the state's employment level back up to where it was in 2007. Some miracle.

Worse, probe even a millimeter into the million-jobs number that he is sprinkling around like fairy dust, and you'll learn that Perry's jobs are mostly "jobettes" that can't sustain a family. They come with very low pay, no health care or pension, and no employment security, labor rights or upward mobility -- many are only part-time and/or temporary positions.

Here's a particularly revealing stat that the Perry pixies don't want us to see: On his watch as governor, Texas added more minimum wage jobs than all the other 49 states combined. More than half a million Texans now work for $7.25 an hour or less. He can brag that he's brought Texans down into a tie with Mississippi for the highest percentage of workers reduced to poverty pay.

Spreading even more fairy dust, Perry claims that his Texas Miracle is the result of him keeping the government out of the private sector's way. But peek behind that ideological curtain, and you'll find this startling fact: During Perry's decade, the greatest job growth by far has come from the public sector, which has more than doubled the number of new jobs created by the private sector.

One out of six employed Texans are now teachers, police officers, highway engineers, military personnel or other government workers -- and many of these jobs were created with the federal money that Perry-the-candidate now loudly denounces. Indeed, he's running around ranting about President Obama's stimulus program, but he gladly accepted the third highest amount of stimulus funds taken by the 50 states. There's his miracle.

Interestingly, even his tea-partyish hatred -- nay, loathing! -- of big government's intrusion into the lives of ordinary citizens turns out to be just another Perry Tale. In fact, there would be no Rick Perry without the steady "intrusion" of government into his life.

Local taxpayers in Haskell County put him through their public school system -- for free. He and his family were dry-land cotton farmers, and federal taxpayers helped support them with thousands of dollars in crop subsidies -- Perry personally took $80,000 in farm payments.

State and federal taxpayers financed his college education at Texas A&M, even giving him the extracurricular opportunity to be a cheerleader. Upon graduation, he spent four years on the federal payroll as an Air Force transport pilot who never did any combat duty.

Then, in 1984, Perry hit the mother lode of government pay by moving into elected office -- squatting there for 27 years and counting. In addition to getting regular paychecks from taxpayers for nearly three decades as a state representative, agriculture commissioner, lieutenant governor and governor, he also receives platinum-level health care coverage and a generous pension from the state, plus $10,000 a month for renting a luxury suburban home, a covey of political and personal aides and even a publicly paid subscription to Food & Wine magazine.

So when this taxpayer-supported lifer flits into your town to declare that he will slash public benefits and make government "as inconsequential as possible," he means in your life, not his.

Perry literally puts the "hype" in hypocrisy. Forget his tall tales and political B.S. -- look at what he actually does.

Jim Hightower is a national radio commentator, writer, public speaker, and author of the new book, "Swim Against the Current: Even a Dead Fish Can Go With the Flow." (Wiley, March 2008) He publishes the monthly "Hightower Lowdown," co-edited by Phillip Frazer.

http://www.alternet.org/s...s_whole_life?page=entire

PostPosted: 09/08/11 11:49 am • # 263 
Editorialist

LOL!

PostPosted: 09/08/11 12:02 pm • # 264 
"pixie dust"?... Is he a fairy?

PostPosted: 09/08/11 7:20 pm • # 265 
Sidartha wrote:
"pixie dust"?... Is he a fairy?

only once..........at camp

PostPosted: 09/09/11 5:07 am • # 266 
Sidartha
pixie dust"?... Is he a fairy?       

Those who work so hard to appear to be manly - dumbya, Perry, Hemingway, Hoover- often are hidng some effeminate traits.

PostPosted: 09/09/11 5:10 am • # 267 
More like, they fear their natural effeminate nature - they can't hide from it - they can only hope they're hiding it from others, but it's always there.

PostPosted: 09/09/11 7:29 am • # 268 
Administrator

LMAO ~ I predict this make Mac's day ... maybe even his week ~ Image

PostPosted: 09/09/11 7:39 am • # 269 
With friends like that, who needs enemies?

PostPosted: 09/09/11 8:07 am • # 270 
Editorialist

i can't get over her voice. it has that sort of sex change sheen to it.

PostPosted: 09/09/11 8:53 am • # 271 
Administrator

Oily can always find a way to get on tellybishon.

PostPosted: 09/09/11 9:16 am • # 272 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
With friends like that, who needs........enemas? Image

PostPosted: 09/09/11 9:39 am • # 273 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
Sidartha wrote:

Shyte, you're getting even kinkier.

PostPosted: 09/09/11 10:03 am • # 274 
roseanne wrote:
Sidartha wrote:

Old joke: "I heard palm leaves gives you diarrhea. With fronds like that, who needs enemas?"

PostPosted: 09/14/11 4:10 am • # 275 
Administrator

Is Anita Perry another Ginny Thomas? ~ Image ~ Sooz

Texas Paper Claims Anita Perry's Salary Indirectly Financed By Political Donors

An article published Tuesday night by the Austin Statesman alleges that much of Texas first lady Anita Perry's $60k-a-year salary at a nonprofit comes indirectly from Gov. Perry's political donors, large state contractors, and companies with business before the state legislature. An investigation by the paper found that of the 37 major donors to the Texas Association Against Sexual Abuse during the first lady's tenure as a fundraiser for the organization “only three have no ties to the governor or state business.â€

Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next   Page 11 of 12   [ 293 posts ] New Topic Add Reply