It is currently 05/18/24 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 5 of 6   [ 128 posts ]
 Post subject: Herman Cain's extremism
PostPosted: 11/26/11 5:11 am • # 101 
Editorialist

I think there's still a good chance Cain could be the nominee...or, if not him, Perry.  The punditry seems to think that, in the end, Romney will emerge as the anointed one but, according to the polls, a consistent 75% of the GOP think he is just about one step short of being a commie or even, worse yet, having one foot firmly planted in reality.  He's also not a Krischun.  Given the Tea Party's takeover of the GOP and it's holy roller base, there's a real likelihood that support will coalesce into an "anybody but Romney" pattern.  Of the rest of the pack, Huntsman's out because he's rational and Ron Paul can't make the cut because he doesn't want to blow-up any foreign countries.  Michelle?  Not very likely but then we are talking the party that nominated Sharon Angle and Christine O'Donnell so she's not entirely out.  Newt could be in the running if he has a weeping, come-to-Jesus, I have sinned and the Lord has forgiven me moment.  His downside, of course, are his various affairs and, even more important, his rejection of real Christianity to become a Papist.  That leaves Perry or McCain as the only ones with the right combination of brutal lunacy and religious chops to appeal to the broad crowd.

PostPosted: 11/26/11 5:48 am • # 102 
I don't think it is going to matter a whole lot who the nominee is come election time:  the Republican Congress will by its inane actions defeat their own candidate--Obama will win by default...but come 2016, I think there might emerge a strong viable third party candidate as the disgust of the American people increases towards both present parties....this disgust with the present political parties is a strong undercurrent of OWS and the powers that be are very very cognizant of this fact, leading to the present harsh treatment of OWS protesters:  both political parties want the movement completely quelled by 2016...

PostPosted: 11/26/11 9:24 am • # 103 
Editorialist

I have always been an advocate for a less primary-centric nominating process.  That would greatly reduce the influence of PR campaigns and increase the focus on candidates' established credentials as political leaders.  The reliance on huge campaign warchests would be reduced and ultimately, the quality of the candidates would improve.  As it stands now, candidates like Cain can have an impact because they can provide the seed money for their campaign and gain noteriety for things that have nothing to do with their ability to act as President.  At this time, party leaders and people who have been involved in the process long enough to understand the political process and the candidates have virtually no influence on the process and the identity of the parties' nominees.  Far form being able to choose the candidate or control the outcome, they are merely along as spectators, like the rest of us.

I thnk that's right. The primary system (another Wisconsin idea) rose up in reaction to the idea of wealthy, connected manipulators choosing candidates "in smoke-filled rooms" and thus exercising power over the rest of us by preselecting our choices. That was a legitimate concern. But hardly anyone smokes any more.

PostPosted: 11/26/11 9:41 am • # 104 
Editorialist

Gop is right. The primary selection process lacks the ingredient of common sense nowadays. Where before we had old men in smoke-filled rooms choosing our candidates, now we have the most ardent listeners to talk radio doing it. I've always been reflexively in favor of anything that sounds like democracy, but I think in the Republican primary process we see its limitations. If our choice is choice by sensible experts or choice by torch-waving zealots, give me the old guys in the smoke-filled room. If they're wrong, their party loses and the system works. Whenever zealots are in charge of anything whatever, nothing good comes of it.

PostPosted: 11/28/11 11:06 am • # 105 
Administrator

A 13-year affair is gonna be MUCH more difficult to explain away than the prior sexual harrassment accusations ~ Sooz

PostPosted: 11/28/11 12:25 pm • # 106 

Georgia Woman Claims 13-Year Affair with Herman Cain

Ginger White's exclusive interview with the I-Team

http://www.myfoxatlanta.c...-herman-cain-20111127-es

By DALE RUSSELL/FOX 5 I-Team

ATLANTA, Ga. - An Atlanta businesswoman is breaking her silence, claiming she has been involved in a 13-year-long affair with Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain.

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, FOX 5 senior I-Team reporter Dale Russell sat down with Ginger White, who had a story to tell.

“I'm not proud,â€

PostPosted: 11/28/11 12:29 pm • # 107 
Editorialist

I  just read this story and was going to post it. I still can't catch you, cookie man. Image

PostPosted: 11/28/11 12:54 pm • # 108 

"Friends are forever! Everything else is a boner bonus."

PostPosted: 11/28/11 6:44 pm • # 109 
Cain is toast!

PostPosted: 11/28/11 8:02 pm • # 110 
Editorialist

Cain was toast when the third woman came forward. this merely CONFIRMS he is toast.

PostPosted: 11/29/11 3:04 am • # 111 
Pass the butter.

PostPosted: 11/29/11 3:26 am • # 112 
Administrator

Next!

PostPosted: 11/29/11 3:44 am • # 113 
Administrator

Normally, I'd view this as a "so what" but after all the lieing and wiggling ...

PostPosted: 11/29/11 3:54 am • # 114 
Administrator

Exactly my feelings, too, oskar ~ and don't forget Cain's public moralizing as well ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/29/11 4:23 am • # 115 
Administrator

From the git go the Cain comment should have been either:
a) Nunya bidness or
b) The matter is old news and has been settled.

PostPosted: 11/29/11 5:13 am • # 116 
Administrator

This is a very solid read ~ the saga of Cain's sexual exploits, whether factual or fictional, has been mishandled from the get-go ~ Sooz

November 29, 2011 8:00 AM
What was Herman Cain thinking?
By Steve Benen

Herman Cain's campaign was faltering anyway, but accusations from an Atlanta woman, who's alleging a 13-year affair with the Republican presidential candidate, certainly won't help.

[quote]

The woman, Ginger White, made the disclosure in an interview with Fox 5 News in Atlanta, becoming the fifth person to accuse Mr. Cain of improper behavior. Ms. White is not, however, claiming that harassment took place. Rather, she described what amounted, in her words, to a romance.

“It was pretty simple,â€

PostPosted: 11/29/11 5:40 am • # 117 
Editorialist

What's more, the question that I keep coming back to is why in the world Herman Cain even decided to run for president in the first place. He had to realize that the sexual misconduct allegations would surface eventually, which would prove humiliating to Cain and his family. He doesn't seem to understand government or public policy; he's never held public office at any level; he seems to have a Bush-like level of intellectual curiosity; and he appears to have a scandal-plagued personal life.

Cain realized all of this and decided to launch a presidential campaign anyway? What was he thinking?

He's spent a good part of his life preaching in front of audiences that anyone can do anything they put their minds to, and motivating them to put their minds to something. He probably has come to believe it himself. He also has an enormous ego, evidenced by his referring to himself by name in the third person. I don't think he has a real firm grasp of reality. We're lucky he will never be President.

PostPosted: 11/29/11 6:21 am • # 118 
"What was he thinking?"

He wasn't. That's readily apparent now.

PostPosted: 11/29/11 6:37 am • # 119 
Administrator

Reckon Mr. Cain should go back to flipping burgers?
http://www.realclearpolit...ial_nomination-1452.html

PostPosted: 11/29/11 6:40 am • # 120 
Administrator

Even more telling:
http://www.realclearpolit...publican_candidates.html

PostPosted: 11/29/11 9:09 am • # 121 
Administrator

On one hand, Cain is just inviting more humiliation for his own acts if he doesn't drop out ~ on the other hand, dropping out will be seen as legitimizing all the claims ~ what to do, what to do? ~ I feel not one twinge of sorry for him ~ he did this to himself ~ and given his outsized ego coupled with a stunning lack of self-responsibility, he will be the "victim" in his own mind ~ Sooz

November 29, 2011 12:25 PM
Cain ‘reassessing'
By Steve Benen

The exceedingly strange endeavor known as Herman Cain's presidential campaign appears to be inching closer to an end.

Quote:

Businessman Herman Cain told senior members of his campaign that he is reassessing whether or not to remain in the Republican presidential race on a conference call this morning.

One adviser said that Cain will ponder his prospects over the next few days and will make a decision by the end of the week. Cain will keep his current campaign schedule.

It's worth noting that Cain admitted in September that he'd considered dropping out of the race, but changed his mind after winning the “Presidency 5â€

PostPosted: 11/29/11 11:44 am • # 122 
Mr Cain: If you can't keep it in your pants and if you can't be honest about these accusations - then don't blame the women who are coming out with these embarrassing stories - BLAME YOURSELF!

WOW.... Turnabout isn't only fair play - it's fun.

PostPosted: 11/30/11 9:34 am • # 123 
I'll say one thing about this guy... he's like the EverReady bunny: Cain blasts critics for 'character assassination'

PostPosted: 11/30/11 9:48 am • # 124 
Administrator

Step 1: Shoot yourself in the foot.
Step 2: Blame everybody else for your lousy aim.

PostPosted: 11/30/11 10:45 am • # 125 
"Step 1: Shoot yourself in the foot.
Step 2: Blame everybody else for your lousy aim."

Step 3: Repeat Step 2 like the EverReady Bunny.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 5 of 6   [ 128 posts ] New Topic Add Reply