oskar576 wrote:
but gerrymandering is not limited to Rs

Didn't say it was.
I'd be as harsh if Brewer was a Dem.

Me too ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/05/11 5:55 am • # 27 
Administrator

It's crap like this that's pushing the "Occupy" movement.
I have to say, though, that "Empty Wall Street" might be more effective.
Turning a usually bustling place into a ghost town overnight would be far more effective, IMO.

PostPosted: 11/05/11 6:31 am • # 28 
sooz08 wrote:
oskar576 wrote:
gopqed wrote:
I don't know that there was anything that, in my eyes, justifies impeachment, but I haven't seen any objective articles on the situation.

Probably because there isn't any justification other than attempted Republican gerrymandering. Is wrongful impeachment impeachable?

Emphasis/bolding in above quote is mine ~ excellent question, oskar ~ unless some specific standard has been violated, it seems to me that Colleen Mathis has a good defamation claim ~

Sooz

Whatever the outcome, Colleen Mathis' career is over. At the very least, Brewer could become the legitimate target of a lawsuit.

PostPosted: 11/05/11 6:46 am • # 29 
oskar576 wrote:
gopqed wrote:
I don't know that there was anything that, in my eyes, justifies impeachment, but I haven't seen any objective articles on the situation.

Probably because there isn't any justification other than attempted Republican gerrymandering. Is wrongful impeachment impeachable?

How would the Governor be impeachable under any circumstances in regards to this, as the impeachment and removal from office was conducted by the House and Senate?

PostPosted: 11/05/11 6:53 am • # 30 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:
oskar576 wrote:
gopqed wrote:

How would the Governor be impeachable under any circumstances in regards to this, as the impeachment and removal from office was conducted by the House and Senate?
Where is Brewer mentioned in the following statement?
"Probably because there isn't any justification other than attempted Republican gerrymandering. Is wrongful impeachment impeachable?"

PostPosted: 11/05/11 6:56 am • # 31 
I'm thinking 'overly enthusiastic' gerrymandering must violate the Voting Rights Act ~ that's how the feds have rejected significant parts of the Texas redistricting ~ I expect there could well [and should] be lawsuits in AZ too ~

The Voting Rights Act provisions apply only to redistricting plans that harm the rights of protected groups (minoities,) in specified areas, typically specific counties.  It does not apply in any way to political party representation.  The districts in Texas that were invalidated were based on harm to Hispanics, based on the dilution of their voting power.  The decision wasn't based on the effect of the plan on party representation.

The courts have steered clear of decisions based on political party-based consideration, because the courts see that as within the realm of politics, and outside their jurisdiction.

PostPosted: 11/05/11 7:04 am • # 32 
Quote:
Where is Brewer mentioned in the following statement?
"Probably because there isn't any justification other than attempted Republican gerrymandering. Is wrongful impeachment impeachable?"

I don't beleive members of the House and Senate in Arizona are subject to impeachment (they are subject to recall,) so if you're talking about impeaching someone in this case, who else were you talking about?

PostPosted: 11/05/11 7:21 am • # 33 
Administrator

Do you have a problem with question marks?

This was the question: Is wrongful impeachment impeachable?
Sooz didn't know but suggested that Mathis might have grounds for dafamation.
I asked the question because I don't know.
A simple yes or no would suffice.
Thank you for playing.

PostPosted: 11/18/11 2:13 am • # 34 
Administrator

Verrrrrry interesting ~ too early to cheer because no telling what Jan Brewer will try next ~ but I read somewhere recently that Arizona is feeling some buyer's remorse over her lurches to the far right ~ Sooz

Arizona High Court Rebukes Brewer, Reinstates Ousted Redistricting Chair
November 17, 2011 | 8:40 PM

In a blow to Arizona Republicans and Gov. Jan Brewer, the state Supreme Court on Thursday reinstated the chair of the Independent Redistricting Commission, ousted after Brewer triggered a state Senate vote to remove her earlier this month.

Brewer convened a special session of the state Senate earlier on Nov. 1 in order to impeach chairwoman Colleen Mathis, charging that the commission, under her leadership, engaged in "gross misconduct" by producing a map that gave Democrats a chance to pick up seats in next year's congressional elections. The Republican-controlled Senate passed Brewer's motion.

But Mathis and the Commission appealed and the state's high court ruled in their favor on Thursday.

Brewer failed to "demonstrate 'substantial neglect of duty, gross misconduct in office, or inability to discharge the duties of office' by the intervenor Mathis, as required under Article 4, Part 2, Section 1(10) of the Arizona Constitution," the state justices said in their ruling. "Therefore, the Court grants the relief requested by the intervenor Mathis and orders that she be reinstated as chair of the Independent Redistricting Commission."

What happens next isn't yet clear. According to the Arizona Republic[/i], Brewer's spokesman said that Brewer "strongly disagrees with the decision" and added that the court's order potentially leaves the door open for the governor to return with a more specific reasons for removal. The paper reported that Commission representatives said they need to talk to the five commissioners and figure out the next move.

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2011/11/arizona-court-r.php

PostPosted: 11/18/11 2:40 am • # 35 
Administrator

Those "fiscally responsible" Republicans are wasting truckloads of taxpayers' dollars with all this shyte.

PostPosted: 11/19/11 4:55 am • # 36 
Administrator

Seems that Gov Brewer's "legal team" needs some ... legal skills ~ emphasis/bolding below is mine ~ Sooz

November 19, 2011 10:00 AM
Brewer may reinitiate impeachment crusade
By Steve Benen

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer's (R) impeachment crusade against the state's redistricting chair was struck down Thursday by the state Supreme Court. As the justices saw it, the governor needed an actual reason to remove the official, and didn't come up with one.

And so yesterday, Brewer and her allies mulled starting the process all over again, this time trying to come up with some basic rationalization for their actions.

[quote]

Senate Republicans are ready to try again to oust the chairwoman of the Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission, saying they could stage a special session next week.

But Gov. Jan Brewer, who must initiate such a move, said late Friday that she's still pondering what to do, although she indicated a need to move quickly.

“I'm keeping my options open,â€

PostPosted: 11/19/11 5:21 am • # 37 
The problem in Arizona is that the provision in the state constitution is very broad in its description of the circumstances under which the members of the commission can be removed from office (impeachment isn't the proper term for it.)  That provides the opportunity for this kind of political posturing.

The legislature and the Governor shouldn't have any role in the removal of commissioners.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 37 posts ] New Topic Add Reply