It is currently 05/18/24 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/14/11 7:03 am • # 1 
Administrator

I recognize the value of the strong argument made here and even agree with some of it ~ but I admittedly would not be willing to put my child, or any child, in the path of a pedophile "in treatment" ~ Sooz

Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 11:00 AM 11:54:16 CST
Child abuse: We're making the problem worse
Experts say America's approach to sex offenders only increases the likelihood that they will re-offend

By Tracy Clark-Flory

The alleged Penn State sex abuse scandal may provide a powerful lesson about institutional corruption — but it's also a good time for some self-examination. The general consensus among experts who treat sex offenders is that America has taken the wrong approach to dealing with child molesters. In fact, some say that we're only making the problem worse.

Just last week, the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abuse conference in Canada surveyed the latest research in the field. The narrative that emerged from the meeting is that we should place a stronger emphasis on something proved to actually reduce[/i] the recidivism rate: treatment. The potential for bias here is apparent — it's like incarceration experts highlighting the importance of incarceration — but studies show that treatment, particularly group approaches, can be highly effective. (Although, as a 2009 report put it, “Despite these advances we, as a field, continue to fall well short of the community's expectation of ‘no more victims.'â€

PostPosted: 11/14/11 7:39 am • # 2 
The largest difference is that Canadian systems are much more consistent with what we know scientifically and epidemiologically about how forensic systems and criminology work. For example, it's been very well determined that longer and longer and longer sentences don't actually decrease crime rates. However, a common response in many different jurisdictions in the U.S. has been to increase and increase and increase the sentence length, even though we know that doesn't help.

Seems our current government would disagree as they are pushing harsher sentences and super prisons.

We had it right, but not any more.

PostPosted: 11/14/11 7:41 am • # 3 
Administrator

Nova Scotia never had it right.
If an individual seeks professional help the professionals MUST report it to the police and the state will then prosecute.

PostPosted: 11/14/11 9:48 am • # 4 
"If an individual seeks professional help the professionals MUST report it to the police and the state will then prosecute. "

Kinda makes it pointless, eh?

PostPosted: 11/14/11 9:55 am • # 5 
Administrator

Sidartha wrote:
"If an individual seeks professional help the professionals MUST report it to the police and the state will then prosecute. "

Kinda makes it pointless, eh?
Worse. They don't get treatment because they can't... unless they want to be disgraced, vilified and tossed in jail for doing the right thing.

PostPosted: 11/14/11 10:17 am • # 6 
Editorialist

I wonder. Is the proclivity or sexual orientation toward minors something that can be "treated" or "helped"?

Like homosexuals, perhaps the individuals are born with that orientation. Just putting it out there for discussion.

If that is true, then what do we do then?Image How do we stop it as we must do? Children must be protected.

It's a scary thought, for sure.

PostPosted: 11/14/11 10:40 am • # 7 
Administrator

Yes, it is treatable but, like everything else, it isn't perfect.

PostPosted: 11/14/11 10:55 am • # 8 
Administrator

Not sure I agree that an attraction or proclivity [any purely physical/biologic response] can be treated short of chemical castration, oskar ~ I'm thinking more along the lines that what can be treated is learning how to control the urge to act on the attraction/proclivity ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/14/11 11:07 am • # 9 
Administrator

Statistics I've seen suggest that it is treatable.

PostPosted: 11/14/11 11:12 am • # 10 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
Not sure I agree that an attraction or proclivity [any purely physical/biologic response] can be treated short of chemical castration, oskar ~ I'm thinking more along the lines that what can be treated is learning how to control the urge to act on the attraction/proclivity ~

Sooz
Then the conservatives have a point when talking about "treating"  homosexuals? See what I'm getting at?

I know the two are different. One being consenting adults, the other being children, but the argument is the same.

oskar, they too can point to statistics................

PostPosted: 11/14/11 11:13 am • # 11 
Editorialist

lol, I'm playing devil's advocate here, aren't I? Image I do wonder, though.

PostPosted: 11/14/11 11:19 am • # 12 
Administrator

Well, if one was to follow the media hype all parolees are repeat repeat offenders, lock 'em up for good, hang the bastards... etc.
All we hear is about the one who does reoffend. We never hear about the other 99 (not a statistic) who didn't commit another crime.

PostPosted: 11/14/11 11:27 am • # 13 
Editorialist

Criminals and pedophiles are two different subjects imo. Is criminal activity a genetic predisposition? Are people born with a proclivity to steal, murder or rape? That is my point. I'm just wondering if pedophiles are born with their sexual orientation set or is it a choice, or is it a mental condition?

Besides, I don't want to just lock people up forever with no treatment, counseling or other means of modifying their behavior. I agree that it can be highly successful. However, we are talking about sexual orientation. A mysterious urge that isn't really understood, even in heterosexual, adult realtionships where one person is highly sexed and the other isn't. Who knows why?

PostPosted: 11/14/11 11:30 am • # 14 
Administrator

Paedophilia isn't a "sexual orientation" as far as I know.
It's more like an addiction.

PostPosted: 11/14/11 11:47 am • # 15 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:

Ok then, fair enough. What I'm asking is are we/you/they sure about that? Maybe I will do some research later to see what I can find on the subject. Homosexuality was, at one time, considered a choice.

PostPosted: 11/14/11 12:00 pm • # 16 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
oskar576 wrote:

Ok then, fair enough. What I'm asking is are we/you/they sure about that? Maybe I will do some research later to see what I can find on the subject. Homosexuality was, at one time, considered a choice.

There is growing evidence that sexual orientation is genetic.

PostPosted: 11/14/11 12:03 pm • # 17 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
oskar576 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedophilia

PostPosted: 11/14/11 12:15 pm • # 18 
Editorialist

Thanks. I'm tired of playing devil's advocate, so I'll leave it at that. Image

PostPosted: 11/14/11 12:34 pm • # 19 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
Thanks. I'm tired of playing devil's advocate, so I'll leave it at that. Image
It goes with being a cynic.

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply