It is currently 04/28/24 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 36 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/14/11 2:40 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Gonna be tough to keep my fingers crossed for 60 days, but I'm gonna do my best to keep 'em crossed ~ Walker SO deserves to be kicked out of office! ~ and having a 2d chance to recapture the state senate is an added bonus ~ picking up just one seat will do it ~ Sooz 

Wis Dems And Unions To Kick Off Walker Recall Effort At Midnight

The Democratic effort to recall Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, in a backlash against his anti-public employee union legislation and the state budget, isn't just set to begin tomorrow — the kickoff will now happen right after midnight!

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports:

[quote]“We are going to be filing online (with the state) just after midnight that will allow us to start collecting the signatures,â€

PostPosted: 11/14/11 4:46 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

It'll be a tough go, Sooz, but folks have high hopes. The first recall petition was actually filed two weeks ago, I think, before the Dems were ready to begin. It was filed by a strawman committee that had been organized by (guess who) the Wisconsin Republican party.  The law states that the governor can begin collecting donations to fight the recall as soon as the first recall petition is filed, so in effect he filed it himself, as early as possible, to give himself more time to gather anti-recall money.

The Republican legislature also accelerated the redistricting process by many months, and passed a new electoral map, making more safe republican districts.  They shiftd borders to make strong pockets of repubs, and bled pieces of dem districts into the new repub ones, so as to weaken the remaining dem areas. Stndard procedure for political parties, of course, but especially egregious in this case. Then they introduced legislation moving up the date the changes would take effect, so as to disadvantage the recall effort. In that, to their astonishment and outrage, they failed.

One courageous, principled Republican Senator blocked that move. So the current, better-for-democrats map will apply in the recall election. Of course the Repubs will run a prmary candidate against him when he comes up for re-election, and will put him on the Senate Doormat Committee Of One, or something important like that.

Ohio works against Walker.  His line now is that union busting wasn't given a chance to succeed in Ohio, but is working in Wisconsin.  The last data I saw, though, showed school districts eliminating programs, packing more students into classrooms, etc. Where school districts have suffered less, it is because experienced teachers are leaving in droves and are being replaced by entry level, low-pay newbies. Private sector employment is decreasing.

So both sides will be painting a picture of Wisconsin since Walker.  We'll see who's the better political artist.

Last edited by grampatom on 11/14/11 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11/14/11 5:31 pm • # 3 
grampatom, do you know of a website that has detailed information about the Wisconsin redistricting plans?  I looked briefly at the legislature's site, but saw only maps, which don't tell the tale of voting patterns, changes from previous years, etc.  My previous life in redistricting always makes me curious about states where I'm not familiar with the details of the plans and the voting patterns of communities within the state.

Redistricting shenanigans are too much a part of plans drawn by legislatures.  It sounds like Wisconsin is just another example of why it should be in the hands of independent commissions.

PostPosted: 11/14/11 5:55 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Amen to that.  Will try to find website.

PostPosted: 11/14/11 5:59 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Gop, check this out:
http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/125225179.html

PostPosted: 11/15/11 11:57 am • # 6 
Administrator

Why am I not surprised? ~ Image ~ Sooz

ThinkProgress NEWS FLASH

Wisconsin Recall Walker Website Hit With Cyber Attack | The effort to recall Wisconsin's unpopular Gov. Scott Walker (R) kicked off last night with activists planning 100 events across the state in pursuit of more than 540,000 signatures required to get the recall on the 2012 ballot. But right out of the gate early this morning, one group leading the recall campaign was hit with a cyber attack. The website of United Wisconsin was “subjected to a distributed denial of service attack.â€

PostPosted: 11/16/11 5:39 am • # 7 
Editorialist

Redistricting shenanigans are too much a part of plans drawn by legislatures.  It sounds like Wisconsin is just another example of why it should be in the hands of independent commissions

You mean like the independent, bi-partisan committee in Arizona?

PostPosted: 11/16/11 12:45 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

Any system depends on people acting in good faith, unlike what happened in AZ.

PostPosted: 11/18/11 12:18 pm • # 9 
Administrator

This exceptionally fast pace will rekindle peoples' fervor to dump Walker ~ this is VERY encouraging ~ Sooz

Organizers: 50,000 sign Walker recall petition in just 48 hours
By Stephen C. Webster
Friday, November 18, 2011

A statewide vote on whether Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) should be recalled seems more likely today after organizers told The Associated Press that they had collected over 50,000 signatures after just 48 hours of campaigning.

That's well above the roughly 9,000 per day they'd need to reach the 540,000 required by Jan. 17. If Democrats and other community groups can keep up the pace, they're almost certain to trigger a recall.

Organizers are aiming to far exceed the state's signature requirements, just in case they have any duplicates or other issues that could disqualify some signatures.

There's been some speculation, based on discussions found on social media, that undercover conservative activists may be plotting acts of sabotage against the petition drive, in an effort to destroy signatures or flood the process with fraudulent entries.

“Destroying petitions or engaging in the acts [described] are serious felonies,â€

PostPosted: 11/18/11 2:29 pm • # 10 
[i]“Destroying petitions or engaging in the acts [described] are serious felonies,â€

PostPosted: 11/18/11 3:15 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

There's been some speculation, based on discussions found on social media, that undercover conservative activists may be plotting acts of sabotage against the petition drive, in an effort to destroy signatures or flood the process with fraudulent entries.

Yesterday a guy stopped his car, went up to a person gathering signatures, grabbed the list. tore it up, and got back in his car and drove away. They got his plate #, and he probably has been talking with the nice police officers by this time. It indeed is a specifically defined felony. The penalty is a major fine and prison time or both.

"Police said statute 12.13(3)(A) reads: "Falsify(ing) any information in respect to or fraudulently deface or destroy a certificate of nomination, nomination paper, declaration of candidacy or petition for an election, including a recall petition or petition for a referendum or file or receive for filing a certificate of nomination, nomination paper, declaration of candidacy or any such petition, knowing any part is falsely made." Police said a violation of 12.13(3)(A) is a Class I felony with a fine not to exceed $10,000 or imprisonment not to exceed three years and six months, or both."

http://www.channel3000.com/news/29799998/detail.html

Last edited by grampatom on 11/18/11 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11/18/11 6:44 pm • # 12 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Walker gets the boot!! 

PostPosted: 11/19/11 4:15 am • # 13 
jimwilliam wrote:
Redistricting shenanigans are too much a part of plans drawn by legislatures.  It sounds like Wisconsin is just another example of why it should be in the hands of independent commissions

You mean like the independent, bi-partisan committee in Arizona?

No - the commission in Arizona isn't independent, because the legislature can remove members.  That makes the commission subject to the whims of the people who are affected by their work, and compromises their independence.  It's a poorly-written provision in the state constitution.

For a commission to be independent, removal of its members must be limited to its own membership or the courts.  As long as their is a requirement for transparency of their actions, with public meetings and discussion of all of their district-drawing actions, there is sufficient information available for people to be able to jusge the appropriateness of their decisions.  In any case, the final results of a commission are subject to the same legal remedies available whenever districts are re-drawn.

PostPosted: 11/19/11 4:28 am • # 14 
gramps, thanks for the information.  My sister lives in Wisconsin, in Ashland, so I feel a little negligent becasue I don't know more of the details of the makeup of the state.  You've provides me with a good starting point.

Years ago, I contemplated starting a company to gather demographic and political data for states around the country, for selling to campaigns to target voters and providing redistricting consulting, but couldn't come up with a business model and plan that could attract the financing necessary to pull it off.  The people I knew with the money to finance it were skeptical of its viability, and the people I knew who believed it could be viable weren't interesting in financing or helping to obtain seed money for it.  And on top of that, it would have been incredibly time-consuming and labor-intensive.  So now I just watch the process from the outside and don't have a financial stake in it.

PostPosted: 11/19/11 4:46 am • # 15 
Administrator

Does such a company as you contemplated exist today, gop? ~ sounds like you may have been just a tad too far ahead of the curve ~ we have an unconfirmed old story in our family that sometime in the early 1900s, my paternal grandfather was offered a BIG stake in a new company for $5,000 ~ he thought about it, then declined after deciding that carbonated soft drinks would never catch on ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/19/11 4:55 am • # 16 
Back in the mid eighties someone offered to sell me his shares in an upstart company for .25¢ apiece. All 40,000 of them. I said no. I thought they were bogus. the company was called Microsoft.....

PostPosted: 11/19/11 5:16 am • # 17 
Sid, you coulda been a 1 percenta!  That might be worth around $250 million today.

sooz, your grandfather's investment opportunity went "Pop!"

There's one major company I know of that does similar things - Election Data Services, based either in Maryland or DC.  The biggest problem with the concept is the difficulty in building and maintaining integrity in the database, given constant precinct line changes.  It's very labor-intensive, and costly to obtain the data.  Add to that the fact that political consultants are cheap, and it's difficult to guarantee a future revenue stream to satisfy investors that the up-front cost will be recoverable in a reasonable amount of time.  It's one of the reasons that a lot of the data ends up being provided now by research institutes at colleges and universities, who don't have the revenue generation requirements and also have access to a ready supply of relatively inexpensive labor.

PostPosted: 11/19/11 5:32 am • # 18 
I know gopqed. I know... Oh well, c'est la vie.

PostPosted: 11/19/11 12:55 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

When I was selling intercom/public address sytems, 3M came out with this nutty idea to put systems in fast food restaurants which would allow people to order food from their cars. I sat in a meeting with the 3M reps, and said, "I am not going to cold call fast food restaurants!" I remember it vividly. It's things like this that teach us humility eventually.

PostPosted: 11/19/11 4:04 pm • # 20 
Administrator

This was on my 'news feeds' page in Facebook ~ along with a comment that, as of last night, 105,000 signatures have been collected ~ which is about 25% of the number needed ~ accomplished in @4 days ~ looking VERY promising ~ Sooz

Tens of thousands rally for Walker recall at the Capitol

Tens of thousands gathered at the state Capitol Saturday in support of the ongoing effort to recall Gov. Scott Walker, the largest such rally since the historic month-long protests over collective bargaining ended in March.

Department of Administration officials estimate 25,000 to 30,000 people filled the square, marching through the cold drizzle, holding signs and chanting seemingly every possible derivation of "Recall Walker."

U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, a Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate, was in the crowd. So was Ed Schultz, MSNBC talk show host and liberal firebrand.

A small group of about 50 Walker supporters made a brief appearance. But they weaved through a collection of teachers, students and organized labor officials unified in their desire to remove Walker from office.

The controversial governor has been targeted by those who object to several of his high-profile legislative victories, including his substantial cuts to public education and the new limits he put on the collective bargaining powers of public employees.

Asked about the rally on Saturday, Walker's office chose instead to focus on another of his priorities. "The only campaign Gov. Walker is focused on is the one to help the private sector create 250,000 new jobs," said Cullen Werwie, Walker spokesman.

Organizers said the rally's goal was to energize their troops and collect some of the signatures needed to trigger the recall. Walker's opponents need 540,208 valid signatures by Jan. 17.

So far three groups have formed recall committees, two of them serious attempts to remove him and Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch from office: Recall Walker PAC and United Wisconsin.

Recall Walker PAC formed officially on Friday. United Wisconsin has been in place since Tuesday and has already collected 105,000 signatures.

Four Republican senators have also been targeted for recall: Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald of Juneau, Pam Galloway of Wausau, Van Wanggaard of Racine and Terry Moulton of Chippewa Falls. But on Saturday, it was clear the main target of those assembled was Walker.

"We are going to do everything in our power to get him out," said Ellen Holly, a longtime teacher and recall volunteer.

Holly, who has taught for 28 years in Walworth County, is a veteran protester by this point. She and several of her colleagues attended nearly every rally and protest at the Capitol in February and March, kicked off when Walker attempted to push through his collective bargaining bill.

Walker's proposal led 14 Senate Democrats to flee the state in an attempt to halt its progress. Eventually they returned and Walker signed the measure into law. But his victory sowed the seeds for the current political turmoil.

"He never campaigned on limiting collective bargaining," said Jeff Kravat, a member of the local chapter of MoveOn.Org and a recall volunteer. "His hit on collective bargaining was a stealth campaign and it was the worst sort of overreach possible."

That same message was trumpeted earlier in the day by former Democratic U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold, who said he was not in favor of abusing the state's recall law, but believed it was warranted in this case.

Feingold spoke to volunteers during an early morning strategy session hosted by the Democratic Party of Wisconsin.

"It is unfortunate that we have to do it, but this really is about an unusual attack on the rights of the people and it has to be answered," he said.

Immediately after his speech, the crowd began chanting "Run, Russ, Run!" Feingold thanked the crowd. But afterward, when addressing the media, the former senator reiterated his decision to stay out of the race.

"I want there to be a new governor," he said. "It won't be me."

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/tens-of-thousands-rally-for-walker-recall-at-the-capitol/article_157512a0-12cd-11e1-8615-001cc4c002e0.html

PostPosted: 11/19/11 4:19 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

this only puts it on the ballot, right?

PostPosted: 11/19/11 5:05 pm • # 22 
Editorialist

Assuming ~540,000+ people sign petitions, it forces Walker to stand for election again.

(edited for accuracy)

Last edited by grampatom on 12/15/11 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11/29/11 5:30 am • # 23 
Administrator

WOW!!! ~ well over half-way to goal in less than 2 full weeks ~ terrific job! ~ Sooz

Wisconsin Democrats hit halfway mark in recall effort against Gov. Walker
By Eric W. Dolan
Monday, November 28, 2011

Organizers working on a campaign to recall Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch are more than half-way to their goal, they announced Monday.

United Wisconsin, which teamed up with the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, has collected 300,000 signed petitions since November 15. They need to collect 540,206 valid signatures in a 60-day period to force a recall election, or roughly 9,000 signatures per day.

“Scott Walker has taken to the airwaves, supported by millions in corporate cash, to defend his record of job loss and full-scale assault on Wisconsin's institutions and values,â€

PostPosted: 11/29/11 5:54 pm • # 24 
Editorialist

if liberal special interests are those of the people of Wisconsin, then i heartily agree.

PostPosted: 12/15/11 3:54 pm • # 25 
Administrator

WOOO HOOO! ~ good job, Wisconsinites! ~ Image ~ keep it going ~ Sooz

Organizers Have Nearly Enough Signatures to Trigger Walker Recall

December 15, 2011 | 1:09 PM

Organizers have collected over 500,000 signatures in the effort to trigger a recall election against Wisconsin GOP Gov. Scott Walker, the group spearheading the effort announced on Thursday.

United Wisconsin announced that it has collected 507,533 signatures in four weeks. 540,208 valid signatures must be submitted to the state to trigger a recall election.

"The people of Wisconsin are not buying [Walker's] lies and are moving at record pace to stop Walker's destruction and recall him from office," said United Wisconsin Executive Director Meagan Mahaffey.

The pace at which the group is collecting signatures all but ensures that a recall election will be triggered. Party organizers on both sides have been gearing up for a race, and Walker recently staffed up his campaign team in anticipation of a race. He's also been up on TV airing ads.

United Wisconsin also announced they are upping their signature collection goal to 720,277. One the Jan. 17 signature collection deadline passes, The state Government Accountability Board must verify all the signatures and collecting more than the 540,000+ needed will provide a cushion, as its a foregone conclusion that some signatures will be disqualified.

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2011/12/organizers-have.php

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 36 posts ] New Topic Add Reply