It is currently 06/17/24 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/14/11 5:02 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

This app came a lot faster than I thought it would. Who knew? It's wicked.

TORONTO (Reuters) - Ready to ditch your wallet, cash and credit cards? A mobile payment app lets users make purchases with their smartphone without taking the device out of their pocket or purse.

Developed by electronic payment startup Square, the app called Card Case allows customers to pay for products and services at local merchants automatically by simply providing their name to complete the transaction.

"You walk in, say your name, and walk out. It's a seamless payment experience," said Megan Quinn, director of products for Square.

The app automatically opens a tab when it detects that a customer is within 100 meters (328 feet) of a business, as long as they've enabled the functionality in the app and approved the business.

The user's arrival, along with their name and photo, is announced on the merchant's app giving them the ability to charge products and services to the customer's credit card.

"You can pay without ever reaching for your purse, taking out your wallet, or even your phone," said Quinn. "It requires no new or unusual customer behavior -- you don't have to wave your phone, or preload money."

By giving the merchant access to customers' names up front, and removing the transactional aspect, the company hopes to provide a personal touch, helping customers feel like regulars even at unexplored shops.

"We've removed the mechanics of the transaction and brought it back to the relationship and conversation between the merchant and their customer," Quinn explained, adding customers tend to return to places where they feel comfortable.

Over 20,000 merchants have signed up for the app across the United States in eight weeks, including coffee shops, bakers, barbers and even farmers market stalls.

http://sync.sympatico.ca/...shopping_easier/c97db798

PostPosted: 11/14/11 5:08 pm • # 2 
No thanks. All of a sudden you'll get people stationed at the entrance of the store conducting a "survey".... "Can I have your name,sir?"

PostPosted: 11/15/11 2:33 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Are people really too lazy to pay for things the old fashioned manual way now? 

PostPosted: 11/15/11 2:39 am • # 4 
Most of us have moved out of the writing a check mode.  LOL!!!

But this app seems dangerous.   Couldn't someone else in the store use your account if they knew your name???

Hubby has the app with all of our customer cards (Grocery store, Petsmart, CVS...)  It does make life easier than carrying around all those keycards. 

PostPosted: 11/15/11 2:58 am • # 5 
Administrator

No thanks. I'll pass.

PostPosted: 11/15/11 3:06 am • # 6 
Editorialist

Sid, it's no worse than the restaurants where you get "Hi, I"m Patty Perky and I'll be your server today. What are your names?" Image  We give fake names, roflmao!

kathy, the store's app comes up with your name AND a photo. Image

PostPosted: 11/15/11 3:42 am • # 7 
Chaos333 wrote:
Are people really too lazy to pay for things the old fashioned manual way now? 
It's not a question of being lazy... it's a question of "fitting in". The way the banks will sell it - it'll be a "lifestyle choice".

Believe it or not.

PostPosted: 11/15/11 3:53 am • # 8 
Editorialist

I only write one check a month for rent. Most places here won't accept checks. I usually never carry cash. Debit cards are the norm. I could dig this app if it applied to debit cards instead of credit cards. 

PostPosted: 11/15/11 3:56 am • # 9 
My landlord gets frustrated with me. They want me to sign up for preauthorized debit and I say "NO!". I give them post-dated cheques instead. They can't force me to do otherwise.

PostPosted: 11/15/11 4:34 am • # 10 
I was kidding chaos with the check reference.  I got stuck behind someone writing a check at the grocery store and groused.  Chaos said she still does that. 

So why wouldn't the app apply to debit cards???  

My son and his friends NEVER carry money.  They use their debit cards for everything. 

I still write checks, but I do a lot of online banking.  I don't see this being much easier as swiping the card takes a secong, but whatever....

PostPosted: 11/15/11 5:01 am • # 11 
Administrator

Banks already have security issues with their software. This is much riskier, IMO.
Plus, the potential for abuse by governments and corporations is huge.

PostPosted: 11/15/11 5:20 am • # 12 
Just talked to hubby about this.  He said that Walmart wanted to do this five years ago.  They've been us tracking GPS for years.  They turned it off for the general public to use, but the phone company never turned it off. 

PostPosted: 11/15/11 6:25 am • # 13 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
My landlord gets frustrated with me. They want me to sign up for preauthorized debit and I say "NO!". I give them post-dated cheques instead. They can't force me to do otherwise.
LOL! Our residents get angry that we don't have PAP. Mostly younger people. They've been raised on automatic debit, debit cards and smart phones. I've had to teach many a young'n how to write a cheque. Image

PostPosted: 11/15/11 6:55 am • # 14 
Editorialist

I dunno...it just seems that with so many people getting themselves so far in debt, another "easy" way to spend might not be the best thing. Plus, technology is great, but there's always gremlins, and gremlins that can get to your bank account are especially heinous. Image

PostPosted: 11/15/11 7:27 am • # 15 
Editorialist

Chaos, I sort of relate this sort of thing to the scare of TV when it first came out. First it was, "Sit too close and you'll ruin your eyes" to "Sit too close and you're exposed to radiation!" Sort of.........

Technology is here to stay and eventually take over so many things we do, that it's much easier to go with the flow. Gremlins for sure, but if a person takes enough responsibility via complicated passwords etc, it makes it much harded for the Gremlins to be successful.
We use debit everywhere. I now have the chipped version which can't be scanned by a "false" ATM keypad that theives have taken to using. Hubby still has his old one, lol, I lost mine.

We pay all of our bills online, but from the bank site itself, which is much more secure than the individual places.

PostPosted: 11/15/11 10:05 am • # 16 
Editorialist

It is absolutely nuts.

PostPosted: 11/16/11 5:25 am • # 17 
Editorialist

I'm not even clear what an "App" is.

PostPosted: 11/16/11 5:30 am • # 18 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
I'm not even clear what an "App" is.

An "App" is an application  that you can download to your smart phone or tablet that will allow you to do specific things. For instance, Calgary has an app that allows you to view bus routes/schedules and was planning to go "live" so that you can see exactly when your bus will arrive at the stop! Great, especially in the winter so you're not stuck, shivering, until the bus comes if there is some sort of delay.

I don't know if they've initiated that "live" part yet.

PostPosted: 11/16/11 11:06 am • # 19 
Editorialist

i feel the same way about this as i do the scanner shit.

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply