It is currently 05/18/24 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/27/11 3:47 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Another 'saved' article I'm just getting around to reading/posting ~ a very thought-provoking read ~ Sooz

Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 8:00 AM 20:38:10 CST
The controversial science of free will
New findings raise questions about our brain's role in decision-making. An expert weighs in

By Hannah Tepper

These days, we seem to be living in a new golden age of choice. One moment we're tweeting, the next we are changing our profile picture. We get a hankering for hummus and next thing we know, it's off to Yelp the nearest falafel place. In every choice and action we make, online or off, we have the unique sense that we are in control. This is what it feels like to have free will.

But many neuroscientists have maintained a long-standing opinion that what we experience as free will is no more than mechanistic patterns of neurons firing in the brain. Although we feel like free agents contemplating and choosing, they would argue that these sensations are merely an emotional remnant that brain activity leaves in its wake. If these neuroscientists are right, then free will isn't worth much discussion.

PostPosted: 11/27/11 4:03 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 11/28/11 3:02 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Good article, sooz, after a quick scan. I will try to remember to read it more in-depth when I am more coherent, lol.

mac, what a great song and artist! His bio is very interesting. Just a couple of things:

There were strong arguments with the producer of Top of the Pops surrounding Wyatt's performance of "I'm a Believer," on the grounds that his use of a wheelchair 'was not suitable for family viewing', the producer wanting Wyatt to appear on a normal chair. Wyatt won the day and 'lost his rag but not the wheel chair'. A contemporary issue of New Musical Express featured the band (a stand-in acting for Mason), all in wheelchairs, on its cover. Wyatt subsequently sang lead vocals on Mason's first solo album Fictitious Sports in 1981 (with songwriting credits going to Carla Bley).

"Wyatting"

The verb "Wyatting" appeared in some blogs and music magazines to describe the practice of playing weird tracks on a pub jukebox to annoy the other pub goers. Wyatt was quoted in The Guardian as saying "I think it's really funny" and "I'm very honoured at the idea of becoming a verb."[14][/sup] However, when asked if he would ever try it himself, he said "Oh no. I don't really like disconcerting people. Although often when I try to be normal I disconcert anyway."[15][/sup]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wyatt

PostPosted: 11/28/11 5:10 am • # 4 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
Good article, sooz, after a quick scan. I will try to remember to read it more in-depth when I am more coherent, lol.

mac, what a great song and artist! His bio is very interesting. Just a couple of things:

There were strong arguments with the producer of Top of the Pops surrounding Wyatt's performance of "I'm a Believer," on the grounds that his use of a wheelchair 'was not suitable for family viewing', the producer wanting Wyatt to appear on a normal chair. Wyatt won the day and 'lost his rag but not the wheel chair'. A contemporary issue of New Musical Express featured the band (a stand-in acting for Mason), all in wheelchairs, on its cover. Wyatt subsequently sang lead vocals on Mason's first solo album Fictitious Sports in 1981 (with songwriting credits going to Carla Bley).

"Wyatting"

The verb "Wyatting" appeared in some blogs and music magazines to describe the practice of playing weird tracks on a pub jukebox to annoy the other pub goers. Wyatt was quoted in The Guardian as saying "I think it's really funny" and "I'm very honoured at the idea of becoming a verb."[14][/sup] However, when asked if he would ever try it himself, he said "Oh no. I don't really like disconcerting people. Although often when I try to be normal I disconcert anyway."[15][/sup]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wyatt
i love Robert Wyatt.  he is one of my very most favourite artists.  the album that this came from is absolutely first rate.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply