It is currently 05/18/24 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/28/11 4:55 am • # 1 
Administrator

I see this as a real loss ~ Barney Frank is quirky, but a smart and savvy progressive ~ Sooz

Barney Frank will not seek reelection in 2012
By Stephen C. Webster
Monday, November 28, 2011

Congressman Barney Frank (D-MA), a long-serving member of the powerful House Financial Services Committee, will not seek reelection, according to published reports Monday morning.

He planned to explain his reasoning during a press conference later Monday, sources reported.

Frank has served Massachusetts' fourth Congressional district since 1981, and is the first openly gay member of Congress.

Over his long career, he has played an instrumental role in passing significant legislation such as the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, which imposed regulations on how financial firms trade in risk-laden derivatives markets, leveraged capital requirements for banks that carry more debt than assets, and mandated the creation of a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

He previously served as a member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/11/28/barney-frank-will-not-seek-reelection-in-2012/

PostPosted: 11/28/11 5:01 am • # 2 

I think it's a great loss.  I hope he is retiring to travel and have fun!!!!!

I hope we can trust the people of MA.  After the Scott Brown debacle, I'm not sure.  

PostPosted: 11/28/11 8:08 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Damn. Can't say I blame him, he's been a favorite target for the Repubs to kick around.

PostPosted: 11/28/11 8:15 am • # 4 
Editorialist

he is so much fun to listen to! he will be missed.

PostPosted: 11/28/11 10:45 am • # 5 
Administrator

True to form, Barney doesn't pull any punches when describing his GOP/TP 'colleagues' ~ Image ~ Sooz

Barney Frank Goes Out Swinging, Pledges Not To Be A Lobbyist

Rep Barney Frank (D-MA) put his trademark pugnaciousness on full display in his retirement press conference Monday, giddily bashing Republicans — especially former Speaker Newt Gingrich — at every turn.

Frank said he decided to retire for a number of reasons, including the Republican majority's stranglehold on policy decisions, the prospect of a tough re-election, and a redesigned district that includes over 300,000 new constituents. Frank said the latter was the immediate factor behind his retirement, since he dreaded the prospect of having to reintroduce himself to so many new voters while still performing his job at a high level and wanted to give his party a heads up to find a new recruit to run.

“It would have been a tough campaign,â€

PostPosted: 11/29/11 4:14 am • # 6 
Administrator

A well-deserved, laudatory commentary on Barney Frank's retirement ~ emphasis/bolding below is mine ~ Sooz

November 28, 2011 10:35 AM
Barney Frank to retire
By Steve Benen

Rep. Barney Frank (D) of Massachusetts, one of Congress' few truly great lawmakers, has decided he's had enough.

Quote:

US Representative Barney Frank, the state's highest profile congressman and one of the nation's leading liberal voices, has decided not to seek reelection next year.

A close adviser told the Globe today that the new district in which Frank would have to run next year was a major factor in his decision. While it retained his Newton stronghold, it was revised to encompass more conservative towns while Frank also lost new Bedford, a blue-collar city where he spent a lot of time and became a leading figure in the debate over fisheries.

Frank, who was first elected in 1980, will reportedly make the announcement at a 1 p.m. press conference in his district.

His retirement comes just a year after a relatively tough re-election fight — Frank won by “onlyâ€

PostPosted: 12/05/11 2:02 am • # 7 
Administrator

I'm gonna miss Barney! ~ Image

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply