It is currently 05/18/24 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/30/11 2:30 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

God, these are such sad stories. Schools need to get off their collective asses and pay attention! The kids who put up the web page after should be searched out and punished severely. No doubt they are the original bullies.

Bullying prompted Quebec teen's suicide, mom says

Persistent bullying led a 15-year-old girl in eastern Quebec to take her own life earlier this week, her family told CTV Montreal.

The girl's mother says Marjorie Raymond killed herself on Monday after telling her family that she had been tormented by classmates since her first day at Gabrielle-Le-Courtois high school in Gaspe.

Chantal Larose told CTV Montreal that she had only recently discovered that her daughter was being bullied, referring to Marjorie as the type of person who bottled up their feelings.

Larose said she contacted her daughter's school administrators about the bullying but said aside from a few suspensions nothing else was done.

When the teen finally expressed that she was afraid of other students in her classes, Larose said the family promised to pull her out of the high school and place her in a technical adult institution at age 16.

But it appears that Marjorie couldn't wait a year to escape her tormenters.

In a suicide note, Marjorie said her actions were caused by "the jealous people in this world who only want to destroy happiness."

She went on to write a heartfelt apology to her young brother, sister and parents.

"You are the best mother in the world," Marjorie tells Larose in one part. "I'll now be your guardian angel in a better place."Image

Grief councillors have been dispatched to Marjorie's high school to help students come to terms with the loss.

But even after her death, it appears that some have continued to bully Marjorie. Image

A Facebook page mocking the teen's death surfaced on the Internet on Wednesday. One user posted a picture of a bloodied young woman slumped against a wall. As well, the webpage's main photo is a cartoon depicting a man hanging himself.

While Marjorie's bullies had reportedly tormented her for more than a year, the head of the local school board told CTV Montreal that he was never given details about the case.

The young girl's death comes during a year that's seen a rash of bullying-related suicides in Canada and beyond.

Residents in an Ottawa community are still reeling from the death of 15-year-old Jamie Hubley, an openly-gay teen who killed himself in October after being relentlessly teased and assaulted by classmates.

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty introduced new legislation Wednesday allowing schools to expel students for bullying.

While it's not yet clear if he intends to take a similarly hard line, Quebec City Premier Jean Charest condemned bullying on Wednesday and offered his condolences to Marjorie's family.

"These issues are often difficult issues and we'll look at whatever we can do that could be more effective," he said.

Parti-Quebecois leader Pauline Marois has called for the Ministry of Education's anti-bullying programs to be re-evaluated.

LINK

PostPosted: 11/30/11 3:08 pm • # 2 
Administrator

While it's not yet clear if he intends to take a similarly hard line, Quebec City Premier Jean Charest condemned bullying on Wednesday and offered his condolences to Marjorie's family.

Who is the Premier of the rest of Quebec?

PostPosted: 11/30/11 3:13 pm • # 3 
I never know what to say about stories like this.

:'(

PostPosted: 11/30/11 9:13 pm • # 4 
I guess there is plenty that could be said, but sadly it probably wouldn't accomplish any good...I think the bully problem starts at home and needs to be nipped at home...before a kid hits the grade school, he should know there are dire consequences for bullying or letting himself/herself be bullied...just this week I "chewed" one of my beloved grandsons for "using" his younger brother's affection for him and then "chewed" the younger one for letting himself be used....the case being the younger brother let older brother's GF fleece him out of a lot of money to buy older brother "Christmas" when in fact younger brother badly needed a hoodie (which when GF was finished shopping, younger brother did not have the money for the hoodie)...(.No, this did not involve the oldest one who told me today he and GF are expecting a baby...that one has never used anyone but is fiercely independent--he is to say the least, very bewildered with the ramifications of this unexpected pregnancy! For the first time in his life, he may have to accept "help"...) Different "kids", different problems...[img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 12/01/11 2:44 am • # 5 
I came from a family of bullies - went to elementary schools full of bullies and it wasn't until I fought back (in ways I won't talk about) that the harassment stopped. I don't condone bullying of course, but the victims need to get a spine.

PostPosted: 12/01/11 2:54 am • # 6 
Administrator

Spot on, Sid.

PostPosted: 12/01/11 2:58 am • # 7 
Administrator

I'll come back to this thread when I get home later ~ but it seems to me that "getting a spine" is largely age and emotional related ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/01/11 3:07 am • # 8 
Administrator

sooz08 wrote:
I'll come back to this thread when I get home later ~ but it seems to me that "getting a spine" is largely age and emotional related ~

Sooz
More like "survival related", IMO.

PostPosted: 12/01/11 5:54 am • # 9 
That was kind of what i was trying to say when I said "dire consequences for letting himself/herself be bullied"--my Dad caught my younger brother (who outweighed me) pummelling the crap out of me with his fists while I cowered in the corner...Dad asked me why I didn't fight back and I told him I was afraid I would "hurt" him...Dad told me I'd better flatten my brother with a punch to the gut next time L** started to hit me, or I'd be the one in "trouble"...sure enough, when L** started to hit me the next time, I doubled him up with a gut punch...L** still remembers that hit and laughs...I later used the same gut punch on a bully that was bullying L**...in both cases I won:  the school bully that I punched ended up being one of my good friends through all the next 8 yrs...kids have got to be taught to reach deep down in themselves and stand up for themselves or else what kind of sheeple will they be as adults?

PostPosted: 12/01/11 6:30 am • # 10 
Editorialist

I agree to some degree, but in this case, the parents didn't even know she was being bullied until recently. Then there are some people who are so introverted and shy, and who might think that if they don't react at all, it will stop. Does that make sense?

I don't know the answer. I wonder how many times a physical bully was punched back and the one being bullied got into trouble? I remember a few bullies from my days in school who were very charming when they wanted to be and could talk they way out of anything. I know times are different now, but with schools failing to take agressive action themselves, the kids being bullied are afraid to rat on them. It could bring down an intensified reign of terror. I think since a lot of this happens at school, the administration has a key role in stopping it. jmo

Another thought. When someone is verbally bullying you, what do you do? If you hit them, then YOU are charged. I was told once by the police (a long story for another time) that you answer words with words and the one to throw the punch was the one being charged. I wasn't the one being physical btw. Image  Many times adults will brush off the verbal stuff. "They are just words"

PostPosted: 12/01/11 6:41 am • # 11 
Administrator

We had a system of "frontier justice" that didn't involve the school at all. Bullies simply weren't tolerated... including teachers who were bullies.

PostPosted: 12/01/11 7:40 am • # 12 
I had a math teacher who was a bully. I stuffed a potato up his tailpipe. (his car... not.... you know...)

PostPosted: 12/01/11 7:44 am • # 13 
Administrator

LMAO

We had two teachers who were bullies - both left for other schools within a short period of time.
One found his car (a VW Beetle) on its roof one morning.
The other "fell" down the stairs at school (he'd broken a student's foot when he lost his temper).

PostPosted: 12/01/11 11:24 am • # 14 
Editorialist

You can tell that this was a sweet girl because she took the time to write that letter. That makes it even more awful.

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply