It is currently 05/27/24 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/01/11 3:43 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Arrrrrrrrrgh! Ya know, if people cannot go 2 hours without texting or tweeing, they need their heads examined, especially after paying a fortune to see a movie. We go to movies to ESCAPE the world. Sitting in a dark cocoon of the theater, surrounded by wonderful sights, sounds and even smells (popcorn!) is, imo, a great experience. Having cell phones lit up all over the place would be annoying.< > remarks are mine

When we had a recent post about whether cellphones should be banned in movie theaters, we got plenty of comments like this:

I am sick and tired of seeing the bright light on the phone when someone is texting. There was a stupid teen who kept texting her friend when I went to see Shrek the musical. It was aggravating and if she didn't want to be there, she should have stayed home.

Cellphones are banned in some theaters but they won't be in the Tateuchi Center when it opens in Bellevue, Wash., in 2014. The theater, with a 2,000-seat concert hall and a smaller venue, will be "encouraging patrons to send texts and update their Twitter and Facebook accounts to their heart's content," The New York Times reports. It will even have a special in-house antenna and may distribute tiny screens to dim phone lights.

We heard about it on NPR this morning. "Resistance is futile," Renee Montagne said.

Loud conversations -- or any, perhaps -- won't be permitted. Hopefully patrons will have the sense not to give the plot twists of plays away. 

John Haynes, theater executive director, told the Times that mobile access will be welcomed by the people -- hipper, younger types -- the theater hopes to attract.

LINK

PostPosted: 12/01/11 3:54 am • # 2 
Well that's one theatre I'll avoid. It's not just the bright screens, but all the "bip bip bip bip bip" that would drive me frackin' nuts.

I was watching a movie on Justin.tv once and I couldn't figure out why the screen was going out of focus - and then I figured out that the "broadcaster" was in the theatre and broadcasting the movie with their iPhone! I only caught on to what they were doing when I saw the silhouette of someone doing the "pardon me... excuse me... excuse me... pardon me..." across the screen. It seems the movie experience is going to the dust bin of history.

PostPosted: 12/01/11 7:53 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Bellvue is the home of Microsoft. Get it?

PostPosted: 12/01/11 7:58 am • # 4 
Administrator

Bellevue is also the home of some really weird people.

PostPosted: 12/01/11 8:04 am • # 5 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Bellevue is also the home of some really weird people.

That's the one in NYC-

PostPosted: 12/01/11 8:15 am • # 6 
Administrator

Yeah, it is.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply