All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 21 posts ]
 Post subject: No Shyte, Herman
PostPosted: 12/01/11 2:57 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Cain: Wife didn't know about friendship with latest accuser
By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 8:22 PM EST, Thu December 1, 2011

(CNN) -- Presidential hopeful Herman Cain told a newspaper Thursday that he never told his wife about another woman he befriended 13 years ago and helped out financially.

In an editorial board meeting with the New Hampshire Union Leader, Cain said he repeatedly gave Ginger White money to help her with "month-to-month bills and expenses." However, he denied a sexual affair, as White alleges.

Cain also said he was considering dropping out of the race, but for now was continuing to meet all campaign commitments. The statement in the videotaped interview was his most definitive to date that he might end his campaign.

On Wednesday night, Cain told reporters in Ohio that he had discussed White's allegations with his wife, but was waiting until he could speak face-to-face with Gloria Cain on Friday before making any decision about his campaign.

He said in the Thursday interview that his wife's feelings, as well as the reaction from supporters and donors, would be important factors in deciding whether to stay in the race.

"Yes, getting out is an option," Cain said in the interview, which lasted almost an hour.

The allegation of an extramarital affair, following accusations of sexual harassment from other women, has seriously damaged Cain's presidential bid. Once a surprise front-runner in the race, he has plunged in the polls since initial allegations of sexual harassment emerged in October.

Cain told staffers this week he was reassessing his campaign in the wake of White's allegation of an affair, and he acknowledged to reporters Wednesday that her account had led to a drop in campaign contributions.

On Thursday, Cain provided new details on his relationship with White, including the revelation that his wife had no knowledge of what he called a friendship dating back years and his financial help for the woman.

Gloria Cain "did not know that we were friends until she (White) came out with this story" on Monday, Cain said, later adding: "My wife did not know about it, and that was the revelation. My wife found out about it when she (White) went public with it."

Cain also repeated his insistence that he and White were no more than friends. He had previously denied any sexual relationship with White.

Asked about reports of text messages he had exchanged with White, Cain confirmed that the woman had sent him about 70 such messages between October 22 and November 18 including some "asking for financial assistance."

"She was out of work and had trouble paying her bills and I had known her as a friend," Cain said, adding: "She wasn't the only friend who I had helped in these tough economic times, and so her messages to me were relating to 'need money for rent' or whatever the case may be. I don't remember all the specifics."

Cain said he gave White money, but refused to divulge how much on the advice of his lawyer.

"My wife now knows," Cain said. "My wife and I have talked about it and I have explained it to her. My wife understands that I'm a soft-hearted, giving person."

Saying that no questions would have been raised if the story involved giving money to a needy male friend, Cain added that his wife "is comfortable with the explanation that I told her."

Cain said Wednesday night that Friday will be the first opportunity to sit down with his wife and "walk through this" with his family.

On Thursday, an official with Cain's Iowa campaign staff said the candidate's chief of staff met with the four-person Iowa team to emphasize that the election drive was moving forward.

"Mark Block, Herman Cain's chief of staff and chief operating officer, just left a meeting at the Iowa headquarters with all four Iowa staffers," said a statement by Lisa Lockwood, the communications director of Friends of Herman Cain's Iowa staff. "The emphatic message is that the campaign is full steam ahead. Herman Cain is in it to win it. He always has been and that has not changed."

The Iowa caucuses, the first formal test of the primary season, are scheduled for January 3.

Two women -- Sharon Bialek and Karen Kraushaar -- have accused Cain of sexually harassing them in the 1990s while he was head of the National Restaurant Association. Two other women also have said Cain sexually harassed them while they worked at the association, but they have declined to be identified.

This week, White told the media that she had an off-and-on affair with Cain for about 13 years, which she described as "very casual."

In the interview Thursday, Cain speculated that political opponents might be paying White to make the allegations.

"Running for president is a very dirty game," he said, repeating: "It's a dirty game."

Cain also said he would drop out of the race if his wife asked him to, but quickly added that she wouldn't.

Gloria Cain rarely makes public appearances or statements. Earlier this month, she spoke to Fox News, calling the sexual-harassment allegations "unfounded."

On Wednesday night, Cain tried to turn the tables on his growing legions of critics and accusers.

"They have been trying to do a character assassination on me," he told an enthusiastic crowd in West Chester, Ohio. "They are attacking my character, my reputation and my name in order to try and bring me down."

"I don't believe that America is going to let that happen," he declared.

His fund-raising has taken a hit, Cain acknowledged.

"The day that this latest one (allegation) hit, fund-raising went way down," he said. "But here's the good news: As the week has gone on and this woman who has made these accusations is basically starting to contradict herself, our fund-raising is going back up. It's not to the level where it was, but a lot of people are saying -- you know what? They don't believe it."

It was not clear what he was referring to as contradictions.

Cain, the former CEO of Godfather's Pizza, urged his audience to "know the facts" and "stay informed because ... stupid people are running America."

In a fund-raising letter Tuesday night after White spoke to the media about the alleged relationship, Cain wrote that "a troubled Atlanta businesswoman used national media outlets to promulgate a fabricated, unsubstantiated story about a 13-year affair with me. I am writing you today to assure you that this woman's story is completely false."

On Wednesday morning White responded, "It's very disappointing that he would call me troubled."

"I'm only here to state the truth and what's happened in the past," she said on ABC's "Good Morning America."

She acknowledged that Cain has given her money. "I've received gifts and money for the last 2 1/2 years consistently," she said, adding that he did not ask for anything in return.

She and Cain were in touch until last week, when there were leaks about the relationship and members of the media began to call her cell phone and family members, White said.

White said she came forward to share her side of the story.

"I can't imagine waking up one morning and deciding to come out with this if this was not true," she told ABC. "This has been a very difficult situation for myself, for my family, and it's nothing that I am proud of."

"So far I have been absolutely humiliated, embarrassed," she said.

White said she had not saved receipts and notes throughout the affair because she never planned to make the relationship public.

But, she said, Cain took her on several trips, including to a boxing match in Las Vegas.

"I can't make this stuff up," she said.

Asked whether his recent texts to her included requests that she not come forward, she replied, "Absolutely not. The funny thing about Herman Cain is, never in a million years did he probably think that I would speak out on this. And honestly speaking, I never wanted to."

White said she had seen reports of several women accusing Cain of sexual harassment. While her experience with him does not compare, White said, "I feel their pain."

White acknowledged that she has been sued for libel by a former business partner. "There were disputes and disagreements" with the partner and the experience became emotional, she said, acknowledging that she had made mistakes. White said she thought the situation had been resolved.

Asked whether she believes Cain should end his campaign, White responded, "That's something he has to decide for himself."

CNN's Tom Cohen, Alan Silverleib, Josh Levs, Kevin Bohn, Gloria Borger, Peter Hamby, Wolf Blitzer, and John King contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/01/election/2012/cain-accusation-affair/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

PostPosted: 12/01/11 3:01 pm • # 2 
We wouldn't be having this discussion if she did know.

PostPosted: 12/01/11 4:08 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

I'm sure a lot of men have women that they help out financially and with whom they only have only a platonic relationship and don't tell their wives about it.

Right?

PostPosted: 12/02/11 8:47 am • # 4 
Well.  He's making a major announcement tomorrow/

Bye, bye, Hermie!!!!!

PostPosted: 12/02/11 8:49 am • # 5 
Editorialist

yeah. he is finished. the latest Rasmussen poll has him at 8%, which is the Perry/Bachmann/Paul zone.

PostPosted: 12/02/11 8:50 am • # 6 
Administrator

NEXT!

PostPosted: 12/02/11 8:57 am • # 7 
Editorialist

New Godfather's flavor of the month: Philanderoni.

Theme of next Herman Cain Motivational Speaking Tour: Well, No, Actually You Can't!

PostPosted: 12/02/11 9:01 am • # 8 
Editorialist

Wait!  There's more!

"If you can conceive it and you wife will believe it, you still can't achieve it"

PostPosted: 12/02/11 9:01 am • # 9 
I have thought from the beginning that this whole Republican primary process was a whole lot of falderal leading up to the end result of Romney being the  nominee that  NO ONE is excited about. 

I know that's a run on sentence but you get the gist.

Even though he's a pizza magnet and a black guy and loves fetuses, this clown doesn't even know China has nukes.  It's downright scarey anyone even considered him legit.  

This voting for the guy you want to have a beer with mentality has got to go.  

PostPosted: 12/02/11 9:06 am • # 10 
Administrator

Yeah.
Support winos. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 12/02/11 9:09 am • # 11 
oskar576 wrote:
Yeah.
Support winos. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img]

OMG, no!!!   Winos are elitist or worse yet uppity!!!!   Image

PostPosted: 12/02/11 9:31 am • # 12 
Editorialist

This is rich:

His campaign also pressed ahead with new initiatives, e-mailing supporters with requests for prayers and financial contributions and unveiling a "Women for Cain" website that the organization said was an "online national fellowship of women dedicated to helping elect Herman Cain as the next president of the United States."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/1...air/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I'm sure that will get tons of supporters Image 

It's like having a "Boys for Sandusky" web site to be "an online national fellowship of boys dedicated to helping him pay his law suits" Image

PostPosted: 12/02/11 9:36 am • # 13 
Administrator

They could join forces and call themselves "Pervs for Freedom Cuz We Don' Wanna Go To Jail". [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 12/02/11 8:19 pm • # 14 
White: "... that I would speak out on this. And honestly speaking, I never wanted to."
and "White acknowledged that she has been sued for libel by a former business partner. "There were disputes and disagreements" with the partner and the experience became emotional, she said, acknowledging that she had made mistakes. White said she thought the situation had been resolved."
Her credibility is toast... what is it with these guys who supposedly are 'smart' (??) always seeming to hook up with these gals who "don't want to tell" but somehow, someway, they always manage to "tell"--in detail..?

PostPosted: 12/03/11 7:59 am • # 15 
Administrator

Cya, Hermie.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16019624

PostPosted: 12/03/11 8:11 am • # 16 
Administrator

As I expected ~ even tho I'm annoyed he's leaving clinging to his 'victim' mask, I'm pleased he's gone ~ he was mostly a joke that went from bad to worse ~ should we start a pool on who will be "the lucky winner" to get Cain's endorsement? ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/03/11 8:12 am • # 17 
Administrator

the way it's going for the GOP, Joe the Plumber has a good shot at the nomination.

PostPosted: 12/03/11 8:17 am • # 18 
Only if he says "NO!" to crack - and pulls up his jeans.

PostPosted: 12/03/11 8:38 am • # 19 
Administrator

His handlers will cover his ass.

PostPosted: 12/03/11 6:17 pm • # 20 
You just gotta love it when all these Repubtards self destruct. Image

PostPosted: 12/04/11 6:52 am • # 21 
Administrator

Dee wrote:
You just gotta love it when all these Repubtards self destruct. Image

Dee, that isn't limited to one party ~ it applies to any UNqualified candidate ~ right now, we're seeing it in the GOP/TP candidates ~ most of today's GOP/TP slate is doing nothing beyond pandering to the furthest radical right base ~ some [on both sides of the aisle] think that being elected is nothing more than a popularity contest and that being prez anoints one with magic powers, assuming they can do anything they want just because they want ~ just today I read that Perry is spewing he will repeal the ACA by executive order ~ he obviously doesn't recognize that there are very significant limitations on what any prez can, and cannot, do ~ 

If I were a conservative today [I know that's a stretch, but I did say "IF"], there are only 2 candidates I would even consider: Ron Paul and Jon Huntsman ~ Ron Paul would disqualify himself for me because even tho he occasionally has a flash of brilliance, he also has a BIG streak of crazy ~ I see Huntsman as the "real deal", but he doesn't stand a chance as a rational moderate given how radically far right the GOP/TP has moved ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply