It is currently 05/18/24 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/02/11 5:19 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2011/12/02/the-bomb-buried-in-obamacare-explodes-today-halleluja/

I have long argued that the impact of the Affordable Care Act is not nearly as big of a deal as opponents would have you believe. At the end of the day, the law is – in the main – little more than a successful effort to put an end to some of the more egregious health insurer abuses while creating an environment that should bring more Americans into programs that will give them at least some of the health care coverage they need.

There is, however, one notable exception – and it's one that should have a long lasting and powerful impact on the future of health care in our country.

That would be the provision of the law, called the medical loss ratio, that requires health insurance companies to spend 80% of the consumers' premium dollars they collect—85% for large group insurers—on actual medical care rather than overhead, marketing expenses and profit. Failure on the part of insurers to meet this requirement will result in the insurers having to send their customers a rebate check representing the amount in which they underspend on actual medical care.

PostPosted: 12/02/11 6:54 pm • # 2 
Lol--I am adding in my head the cost of the MRI I had and the few prescriptions I've received and the one doctor's visit in my head to see if they cost more than the premiums I've paid...more reason to keep those EOB forms the insurance mails out!  Image
one edit:  IOWs, starting today, if the premiums cost more than what the insurance actually pays out (like in people like me who avoid the Doc like the plague!) then at the end of the year the insurance has to pay them a rebate?  Sweet!

PostPosted: 12/02/11 6:59 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

that's a good provision. the government numbers are, of course, quite a bit higher. it is over 90% for medicare.

PostPosted: 12/02/11 8:32 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Cannalee2 wrote:
Lol--I am adding in my head the cost of the MRI I had and the few prescriptions I've received and the one doctor's visit in my head to see if they cost more than the premiums I've paid...more reason to keep those EOB forms the insurance mails out!  Image
one edit:  IOWs, starting today, if the premiums cost more than what the insurance actually pays out (like in people like me who avoid the Doc like the plague!) then at the end of the year the insurance has to pay them a rebate?  Sweet!
I think it's calculated collectively, not individually, Cannalee.   Depending upon the experience of all the people your insurance company covers, you might never see either a doctor or a rebate.

PostPosted: 12/03/11 2:28 am • # 5 
Well, that figures...!  Well, I would tell them to take my collectively calculated premium and put it up their collective a** but I guess because it is collectively calculated, it's better than singledly calculated....Image

PostPosted: 12/06/11 6:12 am • # 6 
Administrator

Here's another HUGE POSITIVE ~ Sooz

December 06, 2011 10:35 AM
Meet Spike Dolomite Ward
By Steve Benen

I've long believed the public's opposition to the Affordable Care Act is almost entirely the result of a misinformation campaign and disgust with Washington in general. Once the American mainstream came to realize what's in the law, and the benefits families will enjoy going forward, support for the ACA would soar.

To be sure, polls suggest this is going slowly. Americans still don't know what's in the Affordable Care Act and still have sour attitudes towards the law itself.

But the process continues, and the public is still learning what the reform package means to them. For example, meet Spike Dolomite Ward. (thanks to TOA for the tip)

Ward, who does nonprofit work in Southern California, is a mom and a wife in an “ordinary, middle-classâ€

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply