It is currently 05/04/24 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/03/11 11:52 am • # 1 
Administrator

Do all GOP/TPers

PostPosted: 12/03/11 12:18 pm • # 2 
Administrator

The Repugs want legislation outlawing lightning strikes and UFO visits.

PostPosted: 12/03/11 12:29 pm • # 3 
This is the standard "claim a system is broken in order to justify breaking it and rebuilding it in your image" tactic of the right. They do it all the time.

PostPosted: 12/03/11 12:30 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

As a lifelong Wisconsinite, I'm insulted by Priebus' slander of the state.  Priebus is a longtime mischief maker in our state, and he is famous here  for his attempts at voter suppression on behalf of Republican candidates, for what we used to regard as dirty campaign tactics, before the standards got so low. He refers to an incident where a street-level get-out-the-vote worker (hired from out of state) allegedly offered somebody some cigarettes as an inducement to go and vote on election day. I don't think the guy was even prosecuted. And try as they might, the Republicans have been able to produce only a tiny handful of indictable instances of fraud. Our level of voter fraud here is miniscule! There were a couple of instances where University students voted both in their home town and in their university community. But you can count those instances on your digits without taking your mittens off! And the total of all voter fraud indictments without taking your shoes off

Under Governer Walker, the republican-controlled legislature has sharply curtailed access to polls by erecting barriers. I am hoping that, in response to such cynical hostility, Wisconsin elderly, African-American and student voters turn out in record numbers for the vote to recall Governor Walker, and also in the 2012 general elections.

In Wisconsin political circles Priebus is regarded as a professional liar who has made good for the time being.

Last edited by grampatom on 12/03/11 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/03/11 2:20 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

i am not sure that paying people or rewarding them for voting is a violation of the constitution. is it?

PostPosted: 12/03/11 2:25 pm • # 6 
It may not violate the Constitution, but it's a violation of election law in every state, I'm sure.

PostPosted: 12/03/11 2:28 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
It may not violate the Constitution, but it's a violation of election law in every state, I'm sure.

why?  it doesn't interfere with voting rights, so why should it be illegal?

PostPosted: 12/03/11 2:34 pm • # 8 
It's a form of bribery.

PostPosted: 12/03/11 2:45 pm • # 9 
I think Mac may be on to something. This isn't a case of "Vote for ME and I'll give you a cigar.". It's just "VOTE and I'll give you a cigar.". There is a difference, I'll grant- but it's a fine line.

PostPosted: 12/03/11 3:48 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
It's a form of bribery.

it would be bribery if your actions influence HOW a person votes.  how would paying people to vote do that?

in other words, if the government offered every voter $10 to show up at the polls or vote absentee, how would that violate the law?

Last edited by macroscopic on 12/04/11 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/03/11 3:49 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
I think Mac may be on to something. This isn't a case of "Vote for ME and I'll give you a cigar.". It's just "VOTE and I'll give you a cigar.". There is a difference, I'll grant- but it's a fine line.

yeah, and it is totally different than a poll tax or producing ID, which requires a person to have an ID or money.

PostPosted: 12/03/11 5:04 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

Remember that James Madison provided a keg of whiskey at the polling place for every election he ran in...except that one time he didn't, and he lost.

PostPosted: 12/03/11 8:23 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
It's a form of bribery.
Id offering cigarettes to go and vote is a bribe, wouldn't it also be a bribe to offer rides to the polls?

PostPosted: 12/04/11 4:47 am • # 14 
Editorialist

Let's face it, it was unethical if not illegal.  Very unlikely the guy didn't specify whom to vote for, when offering cigarettes for voting. The point is that this one instance is being used to justify a far more unethical action, namely contriving via exclusionary legislation to keep away from the polls those voters the Republican bigwigs know are likely to vote for Democrats. 

Historically Republicans don't mess around with little stuff like a pack of cigs.  Their specialties have been telephone push polling, and circulating pamphlets in Democratic precincts, with false information about polling places and times. Now that they have the majoirty in the legislature, they are just performing the same mischief more efficiently - with legislation. I don't look for them to give up the other stuff, though.

PostPosted: 12/04/11 6:55 am • # 15 
Administrator

jimwilliam wrote:
gopqed wrote:
It's a form of bribery.
Id offering cigarettes to go and vote is a bribe, wouldn't it also be a bribe to offer rides to the polls?

I'm thinking that offering rides to the polls could easily be categorized as a "public service" ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply