It is currently 05/20/24 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/05/11 2:49 am • # 1 
Administrator

This is indeed "... another case of turning normal childhood behavior into a pathology" ~ putting a "sexual harrassment" charge on a 7yo's permanent school record is insane and beastly ~ use some common sense, people! ~ Image ~ Sooz

Criminalizing Childhood? 7-Year-Old Charged With "Sexual Harassment" for School Fight

Here's yet another case of turning normal childhood behavior into a pathology:

Quote:
A Boston elementary school is investigating a 7-year-old first-grader for sexual harassment after he struck another boy his age in the groin.

No, this little boy didn't leer and grab the other kid's junk. It was a fist fight. Between two boys. In the second grade. 

Quote:
Matthew Wilder, spokesman for the Boston public schools, declined to comment on the incident or why it has been classified as a possible case of sexual harassment. He said officials do not discuss confidential student information.

“Any kind of inappropriate touching would fall under that category,'' Wilder said. “The school administration is conducting a full investigation that has not concluded yet. Certainly, once that investigation is through, we'll then make a final conclusion as to who will be disciplined and how.''

This is one of the reasons why people don't take sexual harassment seriously. 

By Digby | Sourced from Hullabaloo
Posted at December 2, 2011, 2:50 pm

http://www.alternet.org/n...school_fight/#paragraph5

PostPosted: 12/05/11 3:09 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Wow. I wonder what would have been the charge had it been a girl who hit the boy in the groin? The reason I ask is that my Dad and older brothers taught me to do just that, if I was hit or bullied by a boy.

Sid and oskar, this is one of the reasons kids can't "fight it out" or "take care of a bully" on their own anymore. They are afraid of being charged, especially if the bully is only slinging words, not fists.

As much as the cons say we have become a nation of "coddlers", the pendulum for the authorities has swung the other way.

PostPosted: 12/05/11 3:12 am • # 3 
Administrator

Canada isn't Murrica... yet.
Not sure if we've become quite that nutty. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 12/05/11 4:16 am • # 4 
The kids don't have to do it on the school grounds.

PostPosted: 12/05/11 5:03 am • # 5 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Canada isn't Murrica... yet.
Not sure if we've become quite that nutty. Image
Yeah we have.  Remember the ball ban at that New Brunswick school a couple of weeks ago? 

At seven, the kid is only vaguely aware of the differences between the sexes and is totally incapable of "sexually harassing" anyone.  What's more the other kid wouldn't have a clue he had been "sexually harassed."  All he would know is he got kicked in the nuts.

PostPosted: 12/05/11 5:38 am • # 6 
Administrator

Yeah we have. Remember the ball ban at that New Brunswick school a couple of weeks ago?

Not off hand.

PostPosted: 12/05/11 5:54 am • # 7 
Editorialist

I was wrong.  It was Toronto, not New Brunswick.  Eventually they also backed off it after public outrage.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/11/16/parents-cry-foul-after-elementary-school-bans-balls/

PostPosted: 12/05/11 6:08 am • # 8 
Administrator

Yep, we have indeed become equally idiotic.
New school policy should be that all students must go to school wrapped in a 2-foot thick layer of foam rubber or be expelled.

PostPosted: 12/05/11 6:46 am • # 9 
No oskar... think "spacesuits".

PostPosted: 12/05/11 6:58 am • # 10 
Administrator

NASA won't let us have 'em.

PostPosted: 12/05/11 7:05 am • # 11 
I don't understand the "sexual harrassment" part, but schools have to discipline fights.  Teachers/administrators can't laugh it off in first grade even when it is funny (loads of windmill punches).   It's not coddling.  You have to send the message it's improper behavior.

Detention, call in parents and get it over with.

PostPosted: 12/05/11 7:19 am • # 12 
Editorialist

kathyk1024 wrote:
I don't understand the "sexual harrassment" part, but schools have to discipline fights.  Teachers/administrators can't laugh it off in first grade even when it is funny (loads of windmill punches).   It's not coddling.  You have to send the message it's improper behavior.

Detention, call in parents and get it over with.
I don't disagree with that, Kathy.  It's the calling it sexual harrassment that has everyone shaking their heads.

PostPosted: 12/05/11 7:24 am • # 13 
I agree that calling it sexual harrassment is over the top.

PostPosted: 12/05/11 7:47 am • # 14 
Editorialist

I wonder what the kiss I recieved in grade 2 during class would have been called?  Image  It was just a quick peck on the cheek from Zack, but still.......

Isn't it funny how you remember your first kiss from a boy? He was a sweetie and cute too. I was smitten. Image

PostPosted: 12/05/11 7:51 am • # 15 
Editorialist

Isn't it funny how you remember your first kiss from a boy? He was a sweetie and cute too. I was smitten.

I'll let you know if it ever happens.  Of course, he might be the one smitten.

PostPosted: 12/05/11 9:23 am • # 16 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
Isn't it funny how you remember your first kiss from a boy? He was a sweetie and cute too. I was smitten.

I'll let you know if it ever happens.  Of course, he might be the one smitten.

LOL! Of course, in your case, that might be much more memorable. Image 

PostPosted: 12/05/11 11:30 am • # 17 
Editorialist

Ah jeez!  This is getting crazy.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/05/9229048-boy-9-suspended-for-reportedly-calling-teacher-cute

PostPosted: 12/05/11 11:42 am • # 18 
Administrator

Maybe the kid was suspended for lieing, jim.
I hear his teacher is a real dog. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 12/05/11 1:28 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

Common sense seems to be in short supply these days.

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply