It is currently 05/13/24 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Bachmann left speechless
PostPosted: 12/07/11 3:24 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I LOVE IT!

What's that you say? Michele Bachmann left speechless when eight-year-old boy says to her: 'My mommy's gay but she doesn't need fixing'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2070481/Michele-Bachmann-left-speechless-boy-says-My-moms-gay-doesnt-need-fixing.html#ixzz1frJQIf4a

PostPosted: 12/07/11 3:27 am • # 2 
Administrator

I have a new 8yo HERO!!!

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/07/11 4:45 am • # 3 
Bachmann left speechless... Holy Crap! I would never have thought that possible.

PostPosted: 12/07/11 5:39 am • # 4 
Editorialist

You know what?  I'm disgusted with the woman for using her little boy that way.  If she had something to say to Bachmann, she should have marched up and said it herself.  I don't like it when people use kids to promote causes the kids really don't understand.

PostPosted: 12/07/11 5:45 am • # 5 
Administrator

jimwilliam wrote:
You know what?  I'm disgusted with the woman for using her little boy that way.  If she had something to say to Bachmann, she should have marched up and said it herself.  I don't like it when people use kids to promote causes the kids really don't understand.
You have evidence "the kid" doesn't understand?
I do agree about the "using kids" part, though. Politicians use their children as props every day so why can't a citizen do the same?  

PostPosted: 12/07/11 6:07 am • # 6 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
jimwilliam wrote:
You have evidence "the kid" doesn't understand?
I do agree about the "using kids" part, though. Politicians use their children as props every day so why can't a citizen do the same?  
You know a lot of eight year olds that know a whole bunch about sex let alone understand it and it's implications?  Actually, I feel the same way about politicians who use their kids as props although I'd be more forgiving of Obama, for example, having his girls up on the stage waving at the crowd for a photo op than I would if he had one of them giving a speech about voting for Daddy so that he can fix the economy.

PostPosted: 12/07/11 6:48 am • # 7 
Administrator

You know a lot of eight year olds that know a whole bunch about sex...

You'd be surprised at what they know. Two grandkids taught me that.

PostPosted: 12/07/11 6:52 am • # 8 
I am okay with the use of this prop.

Bachmann's POV is that 8 year olds should be damaged and ashamed of their gay parents.   Oh the horrors!!!!

Even if this kid was coached, he seemed okay with it and proud of mom.    I think it's healthy that he's proud of her and doesn't see her as the freak of nature that Bachmann is implying.   

PostPosted: 12/07/11 6:59 am • # 9 
Editorialist

kathyk1024 wrote:

Bachmann's POV is that 8 year olds should be damaged and ashamed of their gay parents.   Oh the horrors!!!!

Even if this kid was coached, he seemed okay with it and proud of mom.    I think it's healthy that he's proud of her and doesn't see her as the freak of nature that Bachmann is implying.   
So you'd be just fine with some evangelical coaching a kid to say his mommy and daddy's marriage was threatened by same sex marriage or that gays were evil and going to hell? 

PostPosted: 12/07/11 7:40 am • # 10 
Editorialist

You know a lot of eight year olds that know a whole bunch about sex let alone understand it and it's implications?

Ummm...my kid was laying on the floor groaning and pretending to "give birth" in kindergarten. lol From the very beginning, I've explained to her that some people fall in live with the opposite sex, some fall in love with the same sex, and that both are perfectly normal. I also explained that there are other folks who don't feel the same way, and they discriminate against same sex couples, won't let them get married, and think they aren't fit to raise a family. 

An 8 year old with a gay parent surely understands what discrimination against gays is. Encouraging him to speak up to a bigot is hardly abusive, IMO. He's going to have to do a lot of that.

PostPosted: 12/07/11 7:59 am • # 11 
jimwilliam wrote:
All's fair in love & war & politics.

PostPosted: 12/07/11 9:31 am • # 12 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
kathyk1024 wrote:

So you'd be just fine with some evangelical coaching a kid to say his mommy and daddy's marriage was threatened by same sex marriage or that gays were evil and going to hell? 

I'm sure Fred Phelps kids and grandkids are well versed in that sort of thing. I am NEVER fine with someone teaching kids to hate, be bigots or coaching them to say hateful things. But if Phelps coaches his brood to say their beliefs are ok and don't need to be changed, I'm fine with that. I am not fine with their beliefs, but I am fine with them defending them.

That's what this boy did. Defended his mom. He didn't say anything hateful.

PostPosted: 12/07/11 10:36 am • # 13 
jimwilliam wrote:
kathyk1024 wrote:

I think that's a little "apples and oranges".   If I wrote a book saying that all right wing women were brainwashed and bad influences on their kids, and an eight year old son came up and told me at the book selling table his mother isn't brainwashed and isn't a bad influence I'd think it was okay.

No, I don't think he understands totally what my point would be, but defending mom and showing affection and a sense of pride in his mom would be a good thing.   

PostPosted: 12/07/11 11:33 am • # 14 
Editorialist

kathyk1024 wrote:
jimwilliam wrote:
kathyk1024 wrote:

I think that's a little "apples and oranges".   If I wrote a book saying that all right wing women were brainwashed and bad influences on their kids, and an eight year old son came up and told me at the book selling table his mother isn't brainwashed and isn't a bad influence I'd think it was okay.

No, I don't think he understands totally what my point would be, but defending mom and showing affection and a sense of pride in his mom would be a good thing.   

My point is, he didn't just go up and voluntarily say it.  He was sent up there by his mother (you can hear her) conveniently in front of a video camera.  She was using him to make her political point.

I don't disagree with what he said.  I think Bachmann needs a major mental tune-up but I do not approve of people from either side using their kids as purveyors of propaganda.

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply