It is currently 05/20/24 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/12/11 10:33 am • # 1 
Administrator

12 December 2011 Last updated at 15:03 ET
US asks Iran to return captured drone

President Barack Obama has said the US government has requested that Tehran return the surveillance drone captured by Iran's military earlier this month.

Mr Obama said he would not comment on classified intelligence matters, but confirmed: "We have asked for it back. We'll see how the Iranians respond."

Iranian TV broadcast pictures of the intact RQ-170 Sentinel last week.

Tehran said the aircraft was brought down using electronic warfare; Washington insisted it malfunctioned.

Earlier on Monday, Iranian state TV reported that military experts were in the final stages of recovering data from the drone.

A member of the Iranian parliament's national security committee, Parviz Sorouri, said the information they extracted would be used to "file a lawsuit against the United States over the invasion" by the aircraft.

'Provocations'

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton admitted that she did not think it likely that the drone would be returned.

"We are very clearly making known our concerns. We submitted a formal request for the return of our lost equipment, as we would in any situation. Given Iran's behaviour to date, we do not expect them to reply," she said.

She said that despite numerous "provocations" from Iran, the US would continue to pursue a "diplomatic approach".

The Revolutionary Guards, whose officers were filmed inspecting the drone on Thursday, said it crossed Iran's eastern border with Afghanistan and travelled 250km (155 miles) inside its airspace, before being brought down in a cyber attack.

However, US officials have said that intelligence assessments indicated that Iran neither shot down the aircraft nor used electronic warfare or cyber-technology to force it from the sky. They blamed a malfunction.

They are, however, concerned that Iran or its allies may be able to determine the chemical composition of the drone's radar-deflecting paint, or copy its engine, control systems, and sophisticated cameras and sensors, which allow it to monitor the ground from high altitude.

The Iranian government has sent a letter of protest to the United Nations, accusing the US of "provocative and secret actions" violating international law, and warning against any "repetition of such actions".

A former US official has said the Pentagon was using the drone to keep watch on Iran's controversial nuclear programme. Western powers believe Iran is trying to develop nuclear weapons, which it denies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16150384

PostPosted: 12/12/11 10:38 am • # 2 
Administrator

"Non-Existant"?

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/12/11 10:41 am • # 3 
Administrator

US originally denied everything.
Then the Iranians showed pictures.
The US said they were fake pictures.
Now it's all over the net and the US is once again caught up in it.

PostPosted: 12/12/11 10:50 am • # 4 
Administrator

Requested the return? What the heck was the drone doing in the sovereign airspace of a sovereign country we are not in war with?

Oh well, I can hear already the GOP clowns demand a full blown invasion, nuking Iran into the stone age and slaughter them Iranians.

PostPosted: 12/12/11 10:58 am • # 5 
Administrator

She said that despite numerous "provocations" from Iran, the US would continue to pursue a "diplomatic approach".

Yeah, dammit.
When you guys knock one of our spy drones out of your airspace you're provoking us.

Couldn't help a wee chuckle over that one.

PostPosted: 12/12/11 11:50 am • # 6 
Editorialist

Man, are we pitiful, or what????   

What's left except empty platitudes and empty words

PostPosted: 12/12/11 12:32 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Jeannedeurk1 wrote:

Man, are we pitiful, or what????   

What's left except empty platitudes and empty words

Empty suits

PostPosted: 12/12/11 1:00 pm • # 8 
By the time the Iranians cut it up and ship it to China to be reverse engineered, it'll be obsolete.

PostPosted: 12/12/11 1:05 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Apparently they have already figured it out.
Don't think the Iranians are fools just because I'm A Dinner Jacket acts like one.

PostPosted: 12/12/11 3:00 pm • # 10 
I don't think or assume them to be fools. I'm just saying that drone technology is in its infancy and I'll bet the replacement model for the one the Iranians captured is already being pulled off the shelf.

PostPosted: 12/12/11 3:06 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

Tehran said the aircraft was brought down using electronic warfare; Washington insisted it malfunctioned

Now there's an opportunity for both sides to show goodwill and compromise.  They could agree the drone malfunctioned when Iran used electronic warfare against it.

PostPosted: 12/12/11 3:25 pm • # 12 
And they could also agree the Iranian nuclear development computers malfunctioned when the US used electronic warfare against it.

If I didn't know better, both countries could end up going down a road of incrementalism or even worse - escalation. I suspect there's going to be a real increase in sabre rattling as American troops are withdrawn from Iran's flanks. It's only a question of how out-of-hand it gets.

PostPosted: 12/12/11 3:46 pm • # 13 
Administrator

US needs a new war with Iraq and Afghanistan winding down.

PostPosted: 12/12/11 4:00 pm • # 14 
I don't think they needs it nor want it... Iran will be the one to make the decision.

PostPosted: 12/12/11 4:19 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

We (or somebody) bollixed up their centrifuge farms with a computer virus. They still haven't got that totally figured out, plus they are also having peculiar suspicious breakdowns in other parts of their nuclear program all over the place, according to news reports. When they finally get the operational code downloaded from this drone into their computers, suddenly every mullah in the country will start getting spam: "Meet camels in your town!" etc. Signs will sprout along the roadsides: "Allah loves-------A scruffy beard--------But all the girls------Just think they're weird--------Burma Shave".  That drone is a cultural virus, I tell you! By this time next year Newt will be ahead in the polls going into the Tehran caucus.

Last edited by grampatom on 12/12/11 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/12/11 4:29 pm • # 16 
Administrator

LMAO, gramps ~ EXCELLENT! ~ ImageImageImage

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/12/11 4:41 pm • # 17 
As funny as that is... you could be right!

PostPosted: 12/12/11 4:46 pm • # 18 
Editorialist

Matter of fact, Grampatom, compared to what I'm thinking is likely to happen, your ideas are a definite improvement.
  lol.

jd

PostPosted: 12/12/11 4:50 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to outfox the CIA!

PostPosted: 12/12/11 7:16 pm • # 20 
Editorialist

Quote:
Don't think the Iranians are fools just because I'm A Dinner Jacket acts like one.- 
Oh, Oskar, I just re read that and I finally got the play on words.  ROFL.  If you knew how many weeks I had to turn to my companion and ask, "How do you say that guy's name."

I think "I'm A Dinner Jacket" could actually be a good substitute.  I love it.  I love it.

I can't wait to tell him tomorrow when he wakes up.  He will get a good laugh.  As we both get older, we have words that just slip away from our memory at the instant we are getting ready to say them, and we have to keep laughing at ourselves to keep from crying.  And the "Dinnner Jacket" was one of the most difficult for me to remember and to pronounce.

Thank you so much for such a good laugh.  I am sitting up because I am worrying, and you just gave me enough laughter so I can now go to sleep.  Laughter is, indeed, the best medicine.

PostPosted: 12/13/11 5:25 am • # 21 
Editorialist

grampatom wrote:
You have to get up pretty early in the morning to outfox the CIA!
Maybe, but why bother?  Exploding cigar anyone?

PostPosted: 12/13/11 5:28 am • # 22 
Administrator

The CIA has been "outfoxed" rather often.

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply