It is currently 05/20/24 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/14/11 5:14 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

I think we had a thread on this, but I couldn't find it. Anyway.....this is great news for the sled dogs and also the revamping of the animal abuse laws. I've highlighted a couple key points.

VANCOUVER — The embattled Whistler Outdoor Adventures, which came in for worldwide condemnation after the massacre of many of its sled dogs in April 2010, announced Wednesday it is giving its entire sled dog operation to a newly created not-for-profit foundation.

The Sled Dog Foundation will own the company's surviving 153 dogs, the land leases, kennels and equipment and plans to give all of the profits towards the improvement of the welfare of sled dogs.

Whistler Outdoor Adventures owner Joey Houssian had suspended his company's sled dog division after the killings became public knowledge and previously told the media he took "moral responsibility" for the dogs' deaths.

A joint statement issued, by Fawcett and Houssian, on February, 2, 2011 indicated 50 dogs were to be euthanized which were old, sick and "not adoptable."

The statement also said Fawcett was not given any instruction on how to kill the dogs.

However, on January 6, 2011 on an online forum for soldiers who suffer post-traumatic stress, Fawcett claimed he was told by the company the sled dog division was going to "fold unless we took drastic action . . . immediate disposal of half the herd . . . I reluctantly agreed to do the job . . . I was told I had two days to get the job done due to a large tour group we had coming."

"The allegations about how the sled dogs were treated came as a great shock to me and my staff," said Houssian in Wednesday's press release. "Since then, and after significant research and consultation with animal welfare experts, academics and others, my team concluded that we would try to influence positive change for the industry and for the welfare of sled dogs. We believe the creation of this Foundation is the best way to achieve this."

Foundation director Stephanie McDonald, who is a CEO on the Board of the Edmonton Humane Society, welcomed the gift as a "great first start."

"The enduring revenue generated by the sled dog operating company creates the opportunity to establish world-leading practices and to provide educational opportunities at a grassroots level on a national scale," she stated in the release.

The other board members of the newly created foundation include Sue Eckersley, a Whistler business leader who also serves on the Board of Directors of Whistler Animals Galore, the local animal shelter and Whistler veterinarian Dr. David Lane, owner of Coast Mountain Veterinary Hospital who has worked for Whistler Outdoor Adventures for the past 19 years.

The sled dog deaths sparked changes to B.C.'s animal cruelty laws after a provincial Sled Dog Task Force was struck and made its recommendations a year after the massacre in April, 2011.

Fines for animal abuse for the most serious offenders rose from a maximum of $10,000 to $75,000 and jail sentences increased from six months to two years. To date, no charges have been laid.

LINK

PostPosted: 12/14/11 5:29 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

That's great news!!! It can't save the ones who were murdered, but it's a giant step in the right direction. Thanks for the update, roseanne!

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply