It is currently 05/04/24 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/16/11 1:00 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Simply ... HORRIFYING! ~ Image ~ Sooz

Teacher disciplined after writing 'stupid' on student's forehead

LIVINGSTON, Tenn. -- A first-year teacher from Overton County may lose his job after writing the word "stupid" across a student's forehead with permanent marker, a district official told WSMV-TV in Nashville.

The math teacher has been suspended indefinitely, Matt Eldridge, director of the Overton County Schools, told the NBC television station.

"We're here to help the children and not to hurt them," Eldridge said, adding "One word can break a child. I mean, I've got three children. I wouldn't want it done to mine."

Read complete coverage from WSMV.com
The incident happened last week at Allons Elementary, where a student asked a question and the teacher responded by writing on the child's forehead in front of his classmates, Eldridge told the TV station. The teacher also wrote the word "stupid" backward on the student's forehead, so he'd be able to read it when he saw himself in the mirror, he said.

"The teacher said, 'I was trying to joke with him,' and of course, I said, 'That's not the way you joke with anyone,'" Eldridge said.

Allons Elementary is a K-8 school with a few hundred students just outside Livingston.

"It's kind of one of those mistakes that's hard to correct," Eldridge said.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/16/9501014-teacher-disciplined-after-writing-stupid-on-students-forehead

PostPosted: 12/16/11 2:21 pm • # 2 
"The teacher said, 'I was trying to joke with him,'"

The standard line of the bully: "It was just a joke!"

Not to diminish the severity of what this teacher did, but in my first year of high school I had teachers who routinely did worse things than that.

PostPosted: 12/16/11 2:32 pm • # 3 
Administrator

That's cuz u guys let your teachers and principal run things.

PostPosted: 12/16/11 3:03 pm • # 4 
oskar576 wrote:
That's cuz u guys let your teachers and principal run things.
and that's cuz thirteen or fourteen year old boys back then didn't know any different. Kids that age today know their rights inside out and backwards.

PostPosted: 12/16/11 3:18 pm • # 5 
Administrator

We took our rights.
Ask the teacher who "fell down the stairs" after breaking a student's foot.

PostPosted: 12/16/11 3:28 pm • # 6 
We never did things like that (that I know of) but we did find other ways to make our way through the maize.

Think "Children of the Corn"....

We developed an unwritten rule: I will pretend to attend and you (the teacher) will pretend to care and pass me at the end of my four-year tour. If I am here I am here if I'm not I'm not. You (the teacher) need not concern yourself with matters that don't concern you and in turn, we (the students) will keep our mouths shut about the matters that do concern you (the teacher).

PostPosted: 12/16/11 3:36 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

At least this teacher didn't try any strong arm stuff.  When I was in fifth or sixth grade, we had a teacher who routinely pushed kids into the blackboard if they didn't have their homework done.  Truly a scary guy.  I kept my head down and tried to blend into the wall whenever I had to be in his class - not easy when you are a chunky kid.  Fortunately, he didn't last long.

PostPosted: 12/17/11 4:15 am • # 8 
Editorialist

If anything like that happened up here, they would call children's aid on the school.  In fact, if i saw it, i would call.  That is assault, and it's abusive.  Anyone capable of that has no business anywhere near anyone under 20.

There was another incident like this a few years ago i think.  A teacher wrote "where are my glasses" across a child's face after being unable to reach the child's parents after repeated attempts, to discuss the fact that the child needed her glasses at school.  I wonder what happened to that teacher?

PostPosted: 12/17/11 4:18 am • # 9 
Editorialist

http://www2.counton2.com/news/2009/jun/04/where_are_my_glasses_student_prepares_to_graduate1-ar-541186/

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply