It is currently 05/20/24 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/17/11 2:20 am • # 1 
Administrator

I could learn to be comfortable on $242,000+/year since all my living and staff expenses are provided too ~ Image ~ Sooz

Rick Perry ‘retires' to collect state pension while still governor
By Muriel Kane
Friday, December 16, 2011

Texas Governor and current Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry appears to have pulled something of a fast one on his state's taxpayers by officially “retiringâ€

PostPosted: 12/17/11 2:46 am • # 2 
Administrator

The hypocrisy is becoming rather overwhelming.

PostPosted: 12/17/11 2:53 am • # 3 
Lets see how much the public cares.

"He will also be eligible for lifetime health care at state expense."

I guess he's against "Obamacare" because it cuts into his action.

PostPosted: 12/17/11 6:12 am • # 4 
Editorialist

is Texas running a surplus?

PostPosted: 12/17/11 6:36 am • # 5 
Administrator

macroscopic wrote:
is Texas running a surplus?
Only for the wealthy.

PostPosted: 12/17/11 7:14 am • # 6 
Only the wealthy can run a surplus.

PostPosted: 12/17/11 7:57 am • # 7 
This is an example of the problems that have crept into public employee pensions.  The unions have been working hard and successfully to make  benefits higher and more easily accessible to the recipients.  Perry made a choice that's legal, but ill-advised for anybody in his position.

It doesn't make a difference whether the state is running a surplus, or not, because pension benefits are paid from a separate funding source that's typically protected from general fund concerns.

PostPosted: 12/17/11 8:39 am • # 8 
Administrator

This is an example of the problems that have crept into public employee pensions. The unions have been working hard and successfully to make benefits higher and more easily accessible to the recipients.

Yep, for sure.
And those unions signed, sealed and ratified those contracts all by themselves.

PostPosted: 12/17/11 11:32 am • # 9 
Editorialist

OFPS.  The freaking government employee's unions are to be blamed for this bs.  I can remember the endless newspaper articles, for decades, complaining about how bad off "public servants" are paid, and how much more they could be making in the "private sector."  Now criminal salary policies for high level State employees is caused by the unions? 

Jeez, what world have I been living in?  If Perry is entitled to this, are the State's janitorial employees also entitled to the same deal?  Are the teachers?  Are the police?   Are the various City and State road repair crews also entitled to this freebie.  Aren't they all represented by Government Employees Unions?  If they work for the government, shouldn't they be?

Oh, please, may every low level employee who has been busting their asses for decades become fully aware of this and all retire at once.  Go, baby, go.

The plan that broke the bank of Plano?

I have quite a vocabulary of profanity and I fervently wish I was aware of a specific word that would describe Perry's actions.  Unfortunately, I can't think of one low enough, filthy enough, or sufficiently disgusting to describe him.

But I have never heard of anyone, anywhere have a set up where you can keep the job and salary you have, while at the same time receive a pension for retirement from that job.  That is so insane as to be unbelievable.  I have neither the time of the strength to investigate this situation, but unless I personally read the law that permit this, and see how they were devised and passed, I will never believe it was something desired by Unions, and I don't see where gopqed is coming up with "...it's the unions..."

Unions ?  Indeed?   I see no benefit for the Unions to advocate or be happy with such an arrangement.  

This arrangement smells a whole lot more of political corruption than it does of Union demands.  

PostPosted: 12/17/11 1:08 pm • # 10 
Administrator

It's ok for Perry. He's a Repugnant.
But it isn't ok for anyone else. Ask Limbaugh and those underprivileged kids ripping off fat-assed legislators with their school lunches.

PostPosted: 12/17/11 1:26 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
This is an example of the problems that have crept into public employee pensions.  The unions have been working hard and successfully to make  benefits higher and more easily accessible to the recipients. 

Perry belongs to a union?

PostPosted: 12/17/11 2:42 pm • # 12 
Jeannedeurk1 wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't think of one low enough, filthy enough, or sufficiently disgusting to describe him.

I can....

"smegma"

I'll say no more.

PostPosted: 12/17/11 3:01 pm • # 13 
oskar and JD, the provision is a part of Texas state law - it applies to all state employees, including teachers.  Even janitors can take advantage of the provision.  It's not limited to "high-level employees."

Quote:

Sec. 814.104.  ELIGIBILITY OF MEMBER FOR SERVICE RETIREMENT.  (a)  Except as provided by Subsection (d) of this section, Section 814.102, or by rule adopted under Section 813.304(d) or 803.202(a)(2), a member who has service credit in the retirement system is eligible to retire and receive a service retirement annuity if the member:

(1)  is at least 60 years old and has at least 5 years of service credit in the employee class; or

(2)  has at least 5 years of service credit in the employee class and the sum of the member's age and amount of service credit in the employee class, including months of age and credit, equals or exceeds the number 80.

(b)  A member who is at least 55 years old and who has at least 10 years of service credit as a commissioned peace officer engaged in criminal law enforcement activities of the Department of Public Safety, the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission, the Parks and Wildlife Department, or the office of inspector general at the Texas Youth Commission, or as a custodial officer, is eligible to retire and receive a service retirement annuity.

(c)  For the sole purpose of determining eligibility to receive a service retirement annuity, the retirement system shall consider service performed as a participant in the optional retirement program under Chapter 830 as if it were service for which credit is established in the retirement system.

(d)  Except as provided by Section 814.102 or by rule adopted under Section 813.304(d) or 803.202(a)(2), a member who was not a member on the date hired, was hired on or after September 1, 2009, and has service credit in the retirement system is eligible to retire and receive a service retirement annuity if the member:

(1)  is at least 65 years old and has at least 10 years of service credit in the employee class; or

(2)  has at least 5 years of service credit in the employee class and the sum of the member's age and amount of service credit in the employee class, including months of age and credit, equals or exceeds the number 80.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/GV/htm/GV.814.htm

It doesn't take an Einstein to figure out why unions would support a provision like this - it provides members of the system to start drawing retirement benefits at an earlier age, and allows them to continue to work as a state employee, increasing their retirement benefits, while drawing those retirement benefits.  It's a tremendous benefit, particularly to long-term employees. 

Perry's taking advantage of this is legal, but shows terribly poor judgement for someone running for President on a platform of limited government and government austerity.  It's a good example of why he isn't a good choice for Presidnet.

PostPosted: 12/17/11 3:09 pm • # 14 
Administrator

Unions don't pass state laws.
State legislators do that.
Nice try.
No cigar.

PostPosted: 12/17/11 3:30 pm • # 15 
I didn't say unions pass laws.

PostPosted: 12/17/11 3:32 pm • # 16 
Editorialist

i find this utterly bizarre. isn't Texas a "right to work" state?

PostPosted: 12/17/11 3:49 pm • # 17 
Editorialist

Thanks, Sid,

That word will serve nicely--well, not exactly nicely, but adequately.

Believe it or not, I have heard it before, but very few people are required to use, or hear, it more than once.

jd

PostPosted: 12/17/11 3:54 pm • # 18 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:
I didn't say unions pass laws.
But it's the union's fault.
At least that was your implication.
We have had laws about double dipping... at least we did.
Maybe the Harpecrites have changed that.

PostPosted: 12/17/11 4:38 pm • # 19 
Jeannedeurk1 wrote:
Thanks, Sid,

That word will serve nicely--well, not exactly nicely, but adequately.

Believe it or not, I have heard it before, but very few people are required to use, or hear, it more than once.

jd
Yeah... it's kind of like the urban dictionary definition of santorum.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 3:30 am • # 20 
Beig a 'right to work' state does not mean there are no unions. But unions have nothing to do in this particular conversation.

I have mixed feelings about unions, and am happy to discuss them when they are part of the issue at hand

PostPosted: 12/18/11 3:50 am • # 21 
Legislation isn't created in a vacuum.  Public employee unions spend a great deal of time and money lobbying for provisions favorable to public employees, particularly with regard to retirement plans.  The Texas Public Employees Association is taking credit for having helped to get the provisions Perry is taking advantage of written into law:

Quote:

75TH LEGISLATURE--1997

Quote:

SALARIES:
$100.00 across the board, first year of the biennium only. Nothing in the second year.

INSURANCE:
Remained the same for active and retired employees,100% for employee and 50% for dependents.
Uniform Group Insurance (employee's contribution) increased slightly for FY 1998.

OTHER BENEFITS:
No loss of benefits.

LONGEVITY:
was increased from 25 years to 40 years, to be absorbed by the agency.

PER DIEM:
Benefit was increased from $55.00 to $70.00 for overnight lodging.

RETIREMENT:
ERS benefit multiplier is permanently increased from 2% per year of service to 2.25%. Persons retiring between August 31, 1996 and September 1, 1997, will receive a 12.5% benefit adjustment - the equivalent of retirement with the 2.25% multiplier, effective after September 1, 1997. Employees will be eligible to retire under the "Rule of 80" (age plus years of service equal at least 80). Provision applying to employees of DHS, TWC and MHMR whose positions are eliminated as a result of privatization. Employees who can retire with the addition of three years to their age and service will be able to retire, with three years of service credit added to their benefit. Employees who would be eligible to retire if five years were added to their age and service will be eligible to retire on the date they would have retired, had their position not been privatized. The Legislature granted a "13th" check to retirees in fiscal year 1998. ERS Trustees can grant one in fiscal year 1999. Purchase of service, such as service that has been refunded and military service, will be easier, with more flexibility and options for payment. When a person retires and sick leave is converted to service credit, a partial month of sick leave will be converted to a month of credit. Members may purchase service credit in the ERS for a partial month of military service. The ERS Board has additional authority to provide accelerated life insurance payments for terminally ill employees. The Proportionate Retirement Plan allows the governing body of a public retirement system for all cities to participate in the proportionate retirement program. The governing body in the city would have to adopt a resolution to participate in the program and would be required to justify to all other participating systems. The effective date of participation would be the first day of the month after the city notifies the other systems of its desire. The counties are already in the system.

http://www.tpea.org/legislation/accomplishments

PostPosted: 12/18/11 4:20 am • # 22 
Administrator

Baby Bush was governator at the time, right?

PostPosted: 12/18/11 4:45 am • # 23 
Yes - and the Democrats controlled the state House of Representatives, with the Senate split 16-14 in favor of the Republicans.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 4:57 am • # 24 
Administrator

And Bush signed.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 5:04 am • # 25 
Yes, he did.  Remember, though, that when Bush was running for President we heard frequently from the left that Texas is a weak-executive state, and the dominant power in the legislative process is the legislature.  I don't know what bill the provision was included in, so it's likely Bush accepted something like that as part of a compromise crafted in the legislature.  I know you don't believe in compromise, but it's how legislation is put together.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply