It is currently 05/17/24 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 44 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/18/11 3:07 am • # 1 
Administrator

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/president_obama_vs_republican_candidates.html

PostPosted: 12/18/11 3:35 am • # 2 
Romney's head-to-head matchups with Obama look good for Romney.  It's going to be an uphill battle for him, and it's likely Obama will win, but being essentially tied at this point in the campaign is a good place for the challenger to be.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 3:36 am • # 3 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:
Romney's head-to-head matchups with Obama look good for Romney.  It's going to be an uphill battle for him, and it's likely Obama will win, but being essentially tied at this point in the campaign is a good place for the challenger to be.
Which Romney is included in the polls?
All of them?

PostPosted: 12/18/11 3:42 am • # 4 
No, just Mitt.  His kids and wife aren't running.  Maybe you Canadians are having trouble looking through your weak-beer haze.  Image

PostPosted: 12/18/11 3:45 am • # 5 
"Weak Beer"?????

dems fightin' words!

PostPosted: 12/18/11 3:52 am • # 6 
I don't trust beer I can see through...  Image

PostPosted: 12/18/11 4:03 am • # 7 
You mean like that Miller "High Life" stuff? It seems Miller's horse has diabetes.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 4:08 am • # 8 
Exactly.  Like the Canadian Moose(head)... 

PostPosted: 12/18/11 4:18 am • # 9 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:
No, just Mitt.  His kids and wife aren't running.  Maybe you Canadians are having trouble looking through your weak-beer haze.  Image
Mitt is only one person?
Damn, I could have sworn one was pro-abortion, one was anti-abortion, one was pro-health care, one was anti-health care...
I think there are a few more kicking around as well.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 4:51 am • # 10 
Well, Obama was for filibustering Supreme Court nominees before he was against it, for voting against an increase in the debt ceiling before he was against voting against it and against including lobbyists in his administration before he was for it.

I'm sure there are more there, too.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 4:57 am • # 11 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:
Well, Obama was for filibustering Supreme Court nominees before he was against it, for voting against an increase in the debt ceiling before he was against voting against it and against including lobbyists in his administration before he was for it.

I believe YOUR topic was Mitt Romney.
Of course, there's an upside to all this.
I mean think of it. Elect all those Romneys and you get 4 or 5 presidents for the price of one... or would the Presidents' Union insist on a pay/pension package for each Mitt Romney?

PostPosted: 12/18/11 5:07 am • # 12 
The pay/pension package is already quite good, so I suspect the President's union is probably more concerned with trying to ensure the current occupant of the White House acquires a spine.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 5:19 am • # 13 
Administrator

In my view, "... the current occupant of the White House ..." HAS a spine ~ he just happens to see the millions of people struggling as real people with real problems not of their own making ~ and he refuses to put those at great risk at even greater risk to please the GOP/TP ~ that is what real compromise is, gop ~ both sides give something ~ 

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/18/11 5:22 am • # 14 
Both sides have given something to put together the continuing resolution and the payroll tax cut extension.  In fact, the Democrats got more of what they wanted in the continuing resolution than did the more conservative faction of Republicans.  Compromise is alive and well.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 5:25 am • # 15 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:

Obama believed, and still believes, in filibustering nominees if there is a valid reason to do so ~ so do I ~ which is light-years different than filibustering everyone nominated for anything just because ~ his economic beliefs have evolved because of today's circumstances and based on advice from prominent economists ~ so have mine ~ I'm not sure what lobbyists are in his administration ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/18/11 5:35 am • # 16 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
The pay/pension package is already quite good, so I suspect the President's union is probably more concerned with trying to ensure the current occupant of the White House acquires a spine.
It seems to me Obama faced the Teapublicans down at every turn.  He may not have got everything he wanted but he got a lot of it and, despite their whining, they got squat.  That's a good thing.  I'd really hate to see the shape the U.S. would have been in right now if the Tea Party truly had been in charge over the past few years and honestly do fear they will get control over the next four.  Gop, you and some of the other more intelligent Republicans are really going to have to either take back control of your party or let pragmatism trump ideology this time out. 

PostPosted: 12/18/11 5:43 am • # 17 
Administrator

Gop, you and some of the other more intelligent Republicans are really going to have to either take back control of your party or let pragmatism trump ideology this time out.

That would take some spine, wouldn't it?

PostPosted: 12/18/11 7:01 am • # 18 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:

agreed.  but with one small correction.  the head to head polls have been surprisingly stable, GOP.  Romney has never been outside of the range of "statistical dead heat" in the entire time i have watched this poll.  i am not sure if that is better or worse news for him.  my impression is "better". 

the only candidate who has done better than Romney against Obama is "generic", and only by a very small margin.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 7:04 am • # 19 
When the shooting starts in an actual campaign, Romney's going to get creamed. I'm sure the Democrats have a lot of good material to use in their advertising.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 7:33 am • # 20 
Administrator

Sidartha wrote:
When the shooting starts in an actual campaign, Romney's going to get creamed. I'm sure the Democrats have a lot of good material to use in their advertising.
The best Dem campaign ads are Romney himself.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 9:25 am • # 21 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:

they have already run the first ad.  devastating.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 10:47 am • # 22 
Editorialist

The republicans have beaten romney up so thoroughly that it's not going to be hard for the dems to come up with talk ing points.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 1:40 pm • # 23 
Editorialist

Problem is, each of the primary repub candidates has a bunch of people who love him/her. When the primary is over, all of those bunches of people will still hate Obama, and each loser will still run his/her own campaign against Obama in the general campaign.  It doesn't sound like there will be a PUMA factor (Party Unity, My Ass!) on the repub side, as there was when Obama defeated Clinton last time. So I think the Obama campaign, in reaction, will have a hard time concentrating their fire on the repub candidate "when the shooting starts". Unless the Tea Party shoots itself and the repubs in the foot somehow.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 1:50 pm • # 24 
Administrator

Dems are notorious for blowing opportunities.

PostPosted: 12/18/11 4:04 pm • # 25 
grampatom wrote:
Problem is, each of the primary repub candidates has a bunch of people who love him/her. When the primary is over, all of those bunches of people will still hate Obama, and each loser will still run his/her own campaign against Obama in the general campaign.  It doesn't sound like there will be a PUMA factor (Party Unity, My Ass!) on the repub side, as there was when Obama defeated Clinton last time. So I think the Obama campaign, in reaction, will have a hard time concentrating their fire on the repub candidate "when the shooting starts". Unless the Tea Party shoots itself and the repubs in the foot somehow.
They can ignore all the other non-players (well... not totally) and just focus on the candidates at hand. Keep the message simple and direct and let the repubs trip over themselves to "out-stupid" each other.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 44 posts ] New Topic Add Reply