It is currently 03/28/24 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 41 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/21/11 12:40 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

LMAO! This it just too good. Image  Gotta love those anti-gay marriage, conservative Christians. Did he think that by buying stuff in Canada, it would be kept secret? After billing taxpayers? 

Republican mayor outed after T.O. sex shop purchase

A Republican politician in Mississippi has been pressured to come out of the closet after billing his taxpayers for purchases made at a gay sex shop in Toronto.

Southaven Mayor Greg Davis has come under intense scrutiny after a local newspaper disclosed that he spent more than $170,000 (U.S.) on lavish dinners, alcohol and more.

Among the receipts was a charge from a gay sex shop in Toronto, a bill that led the Republican to disclose that he's gay in an interview with the Tennessee-based newspaper The Commercial Appeal.

"At this point in my life and in my career, while I have tried to maintain separation between my personal and public life, it is obvious that this can no longer remain the case," Davis told the paper in an interview on Thursday.

According to the Southaven city website, Davis has been married to his wife Suzann for 19 years and has three young daughters. A local newspaper, however, has referred to him as divorced.

Davis has been described as an active member of a local Baptist church.

The Commercial Appeal obtained Davis' receipts through a freedom of information request after state auditors called for a review of his expenses.

In an interview with the paper, one of the aldermen reviewing the mayor's expenses said they're concerned with Davis' expenses, not his sexuality.

"Him being gay is none of my business," said Lorine Cady. "Right now, I don't know how all of this will or will not impact the city."

Davis, who is serving his fourth term as mayor of Southaven, was first elected in 1997.

http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/home/republican_mayor_outed_after_to_sex_shop_purchase/78056b1d

PostPosted: 12/21/11 2:05 pm • # 2 
Administrator

"Him being gay is none of my business," said Lorine Cady.

Exactly... unless his public personna is homophobic.

PostPosted: 12/21/11 3:50 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

He's a Southern Baptist conservative who is/was married. I can assure you that he was overtly homophobic and against gay marriage. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been elected.

lmao @ this bit from his wife:

Almost 18 years, 3 children, and a few moves around Southaven, you can find Greg and Suzann happily married and living on Davis Road between both their parents. The Davis household, complete with 6 dogs and 2 cats, is always eventful. “Greg is a wonderful husband and girl-daddy,â€

PostPosted: 12/21/11 3:58 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Don't see any homophobia so far.
One doesn't need to be homophobic to oppose same-sex marriage.
However, on the basis of equal rights for all citizens he definitely comes up short.

PostPosted: 12/21/11 4:43 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

His quote here: "Because I'm a Christian, and that's what's in the Bible,"

has nothing to do with gay marriage. The bible doesn't even address that. That tells me he is homophobic. If you want to defend red-necked, hypocritical  Southern Baptists have at it. Image

I needn't worry. The gay community will probably find more than a few examples of his homophobia for me. Image They aren't about to let anyone get by with that any more.

PostPosted: 12/22/11 12:25 am • # 6 
Administrator

Merely considering the information in the OP.

PostPosted: 12/22/11 3:30 am • # 7 
Editorialist

Fair enough. Image I just happen to think that anyone who denies their sexuality for so long must be/have been homophobic and afraid of their own sexuality.

I read a couple of more interesting things about him. Evidently, the little town of which he is a mayor is considered a "white flight" area and he wanted to honor the founder of the KKK, Nathan Bedford Forrest, by erecting a statue. Image

Of course, as much as the OP and other articles focus on his "outing", they have pretty much ignored the fact that he stole money from the town's coffers. The total amount is not known yet.

In conclusion, lol, he's a self-loathing, racist thief. He ran for Congress on the "family values" platform in 2008. Image

PostPosted: 12/22/11 4:16 pm • # 8 
Do any of you know any Repugnants that are not liars or racist or thieves?

PostPosted: 12/22/11 4:21 pm • # 9 
Nope, sure don't Bunker.

PostPosted: 12/22/11 4:35 pm • # 10 
Administrator

bunkerhill14 wrote:

I do, bunker ~ in fact, several ~ they are what I identify as "real conservatives" ~ they haven't raced to the right trying to please or woo the radicalized GOP/TP ~

Sooz 

PostPosted: 12/23/11 4:03 am • # 11 
Administrator

sooz08 wrote:
bunkerhill14 wrote:

I do, bunker ~ in fact, several ~ they are what I identify as "real conservatives" ~ they haven't raced to the right trying to please or woo the radicalized GOP/TP ~

Sooz 

Names, Sooz! Names! Image

PostPosted: 12/23/11 7:12 am • # 12 
Administrator

LOL, Jab ~ you wouldn't recognize the names ~ they're personal friends ~ but trust me ~ there ARE some [not all that many, but some] "real conservatives" still around ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/23/11 7:43 am • # 13 
What makes a person a "real" conservative?

PostPosted: 12/23/11 7:52 am • # 14 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:
What makes a person a "real" conservative?
You don't know?
Are you a "real conservative"?

PostPosted: 12/23/11 9:02 am • # 15 
It's others here who are making declarations about "real conservatives," without any definition of what they believe makes someone qualify for that appellation.

PostPosted: 12/23/11 9:18 am • # 16 
Administrator

You assume they don't have a definition and yet you don't appear to have one either.

PostPosted: 12/23/11 9:22 am • # 17 
I can't define a term someone else made up.  I'm not saying they don't have a definition, I'm just asking how they define the term.

PostPosted: 12/23/11 9:27 am • # 18 
Administrator

And I'm asking you.
So far no one has answered.

PostPosted: 12/23/11 9:31 am • # 19 
I don't use the term so I can't give it a definition.

PostPosted: 12/23/11 9:33 am • # 20 
Administrator

You should be a hockey player.

Edit: A figure skater.

PostPosted: 12/23/11 10:16 am • # 21 
Administrator

gop, I've posted numerous times on what I consider a "real conservative" ~ it's someone who lives her/his beliefs ~ s/he doesn't pander to the utter nonnsense the TPers are spewing ~ s/he is honest, s/he does not lie with abandon just to "score points" with anyone ~ s/he doesn't toe the party line just because it's the party line, nor does s/he defend the party line when s/he disagrees with it ~ s/he believes in and supports the US Constitution as written ~ s/he believes in and supports equal rights for all ~ s/he doesn't care what anyone else is doing in their own bedrooms ~ s/he knows that corporations are not people ~ s/he admits and accepts responsibility for her/his own acts when proven wrong ~ s/he understands and accepts that not everyone will always agree implicitly with her/his own opinion ~ and s/he is willing to compromise for the common good ~

Need more?

FTR, two good friends [one very close, one medium close] have both resigned their memberships in the GOP ~ they have not abandoned their beliefs, but they are both appalled and embarrassed by what has happened and is happening to their [former] party-of-choice ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/23/11 11:19 am • # 22 
"they have not abandoned their beliefs"

The party that supposedly represents their beliefs abandoned them.

PostPosted: 12/23/11 1:40 pm • # 23 
Administrator

A different kind of "outing" of another GOPer ~ but a masterful "apology" ~ Image ~ too bad the real message will be lost for "some" ~ Sooz

On Behalf Of All Gays, Man “Apologizesâ€

PostPosted: 12/23/11 2:06 pm • # 24 
Administrator

BAM!

Say, would that be Koch as in the Bribe Brothers?

PostPosted: 12/24/11 3:53 am • # 25 
sooz08 wrote:
gop, I've posted numerous times on what I consider a "real conservative" ~ it's someone who lives her/his beliefs ~ s/he doesn't pander to the utter nonnsense the TPers are spewing ~ s/he is honest, s/he does not lie with abandon just to "score points" with anyone ~ s/he doesn't toe the party line just because it's the party line, nor does s/he defend the party line when s/he disagrees with it ~ s/he believes in and supports the US Constitution as written ~ s/he believes in and supports equal rights for all ~ s/he doesn't care what anyone else is doing in their own bedrooms ~ s/he knows that corporations are not people ~ s/he admits and accepts responsibility for her/his own acts when proven wrong ~ s/he understands and accepts that not everyone will always agree implicitly with her/his own opinion ~ and s/he is willing to compromise for the common good ~

Need more?

FTR, two good friends [one very close, one medium close] have both resigned their memberships in the GOP ~ they have not abandoned their beliefs, but they are both appalled and embarrassed by what has happened and is happening to their [former] party-of-choice ~

Sooz

We have plenty of real conservatives in the race.

Your definition, though, seems to be that a "real" conservative would share your political views.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 41 posts ] New Topic Add Reply