It is currently 03/29/24 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ]
 Post subject: Ron Paul's Extremism
PostPosted: 12/22/11 3:19 am • # 1 
Administrator

We have entered the realm of Ron Paul's "15 minutes" ~ he is very much an enigma to me ~ he has flashes of brilliance ~ but those flashes are always compromised by his BIG streak of flat-out crazy, including his stubborn belief that almost everything is unconstitutional ~ these newsletters make the news in most of his campaigns ~ I read somewhere that he walked out on a CNN interview within the past few days when the interviewer asked a question about the newsletters ~ I see the final paragraph here as being the most likely explanation ~ Sooz

What To Make Of Ron Paul's Racist Newsletter

With übertenther Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) emerging as the latest frontrunner in the Iowa GOP primary, Ta-Nehisi Coates chronicles many of the most offensive highlights from a series of racist newsletters Paul published in the late 1980s and early 1990s:

[list] [*]Needlin': Paul's December 1989 newsletter claims that roving bands of African-Americans are trying to give white people HIV. According to the newsletter, “at least 39 white women have been stuck with used hypodermic needles-perhaps infected with AIDS-by gangs of black girls between the ages of 12 and 14. . . . Who can doubt that if the situation had been reversed, if white girls had done this to black women, we would have been subjected to months-long nation-wide propaganda campaign on the evils of white America? The double standard strikes again.â€

PostPosted: 12/22/11 3:37 am • # 2 
Ron Paul is yet another tin duck in a carnival shooting gallery. I'll say one thing - the republiteapartiers are good shots. They've picked off what.... five in a row now... They get the big, stuffed giraffe.

PostPosted: 12/22/11 3:39 am • # 3 
Administrator

Here's more on the recent CNN walk-out ~ Sooz

December 22, 2011 8:35 AM
Ron Paul struggles with scrutiny
By Steve Benen

The irony of Ron Paul's new problem is that he's wanted the media to start taking his candidacy seriously for quite a while, but reporters have treated him like a joke and a sideshow. Now that news outlets are taking him seriously and asking about his record, the Texas congressman seems thoroughly annoyed.

As you've probably heard, Paul published political newsletters for several years in the 1990s, called the “Ron Paul Survival Report,â€

PostPosted: 12/22/11 3:46 am • # 4 
Because he's a libertarian at heart, Paul is merely a fringe candidate, unelectable at the national level.  He's the kind of candidate with whom everyone can agree with on a few issues, but when it comes to an examination of his entire record and philosophy, can't attract the broad support needed to be successful on a large stage.  That's why candidates like Paul virtually never get elected to anything beyond a Congressional seat.

While I agree with Paul's general philosophy of the proper role of government, it's not a point of view that will win a large enough of a following for him to win the nomination, let alone the general election.

PostPosted: 12/22/11 3:57 am • # 5 
Administrator

Not one of them is presidential material.

PostPosted: 12/22/11 4:01 am • # 6 

Who do you think is presidential material, oskar?

PostPosted: 12/22/11 4:20 am • # 7 
Administrator

No Republicans running at the moment.

PostPosted: 12/22/11 4:25 am • # 8 
The REPUBLICANS are going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat because who the republiteapartiers have put before the public so far has been woefully inadequate. Given the behaviour of republicans in Congress and the Senate - there's no one there either.

O-BA-MA! O-BA-MA! O-BA-MA!

FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS!

PostPosted: 12/22/11 4:26 am • # 9 
That's not what I asked - I already knew that was your viewpoint.  I was wondering who you think is Presidential material.  You've also been very critical of Obama.

PostPosted: 12/22/11 4:39 am • # 10 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:

Who do you think is presidential material, oskar?

I know I'm not Oskar but, for awhile, I thought John Huntsman would be a good candidate but, after listening to a couple of interviews with him, he does seem to fit in with the other potentials.  Having any of them for President should be a scary prospect for every American.  Romney seems to be the sanest of the lot but that's only in comparison to who he's running against.  It's too bad the real Republicans are afraid to come out of hiding.

PostPosted: 12/22/11 5:08 am • # 11 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:
That's not what I asked - I already knew that was your viewpoint.  I was wondering who you think is Presidential material.  You've also been very critical of Obama.
I know it isn't what you asked but thought I'd give an answer of the gopqed type.
Obama (IMO) is average as president... so I guess he'll have to do.

PostPosted: 12/22/11 4:13 pm • # 12 
Ron Paul gets supporters who are headline readers. Once you examine his beliefs you can see how nuts he really is. He's from a small town in Pennsylvania- towns full of racists-
so for him to deny his racism  is a blatent lie- he lived in small town Pa. when that wasn't racist enough for him he moved to Texas where you have to be a racist or a victim  of racism. He and Randall
 seem to be total opposites except that they're both nuts.  Ron refused to accept Medicare and Medicaid while Randall takes all he can get.

PostPosted: 12/23/11 4:44 am • # 13 
He won't survive the scrutiny of a general election for president - unless the republiteaparty media just throws softballs at him.

PostPosted: 12/23/11 5:36 am • # 14 
He would survive the scrutiny - he just wouldn't be elected.  He won't even make it to the general election unless he bolts and runs on the Libertarian ticket, and he's indicated before that he won't do that.

PostPosted: 12/23/11 5:55 am • # 15 
Administrator

So it's Ron Paul the Isolationist vs. the 17 Mitt Romneys vs. the Disgraced Newt.
Quite the selection, eh?

PostPosted: 12/23/11 6:01 am • # 16 
Editorialist

Trying to think of some way to describing how I think of Ron Paul.  He's the guy you consult with on having potholes in your street repaired, or what kind of automobile you should buy, and he asks, "What's wrong with just staying home?"

PostPosted: 12/23/11 6:06 am • # 17 
It's good to have libertarians in government, to provide an opposing viewpoint to those who would look always to government to solve every problem.  It doesn't mean they should necessarily be at the helm of the ship.

PostPosted: 12/26/11 11:14 am • # 18 
Administrator

Has Ron Paul evolved since the '90s? ~ maybe so, maybe not ~ but his current defense that everything was written by 'ghost writers' and he had no clue what was being sent and shilled in his name sounds totally bogus to me ~ Paul needs�to admit his involvement but add that he's evolved/grown since then ~ I don't trust anyone who can't/won't take responsibility for her/his own actions ~ Sooz

December 26, 2011 10:05 AM
Paul boasted about unhinged newsletters
By Steve Benen

Among the many problems surrounding Ron Paul's presidential campaign is the series of radical materials he published in the 1990s. Paul's newsletters and fundraising appeals, as has been well documented, included racist, homophobic, and anti-Israeli propaganda, as well as bizarre conspiracy theories.

Paul, when asked about his publications, tends to stick to the same line: he didn't write much of the content that went out under his name, and was unaware of the offensive content. In many instances, the Republican lawmaker now claims, he didn't even read his own materials, and just didn't pay much attention to the entire venture.

Paul may want to rethink this explanation. Andrew Kaczynski posts this previously unearthed video from 1995, in which the Texan not only acknowledges the “Ron Paul Survival Report,â€

Last edited by sooz06 on 12/26/11 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/26/11 11:26 am • # 19 
And now... the scrutiny begins: http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/26/opinion/frum-ron-paul-newsletters/index.html

PostPosted: 12/27/11 5:44 am • # 20 
Administrator

This is/should be devastating ~ while I believe it is possible to transcend your past, you canNOT do that by lying or pretending it's all a "big misunderstanding" ~ and I'm not so sure that Paul's "vision" has done the 180* he's now touting ~ Sooz

FACT CHECK: Ron Paul Personally Defended Racist Newsletters

Recently, Ron Paul has been subject to intense criticism over controversial newsletters written under his name in the 80s and 90s that frequently included racism, bigotry, and conspiracy theories. Over the last few days, Paul has responded that he did not write the newsletters and disavowed their contents, claiming this has been his consistent position for 20 years. Here's what Paul told CNN on December 21:

Quote:

PAUL: I never read that stuff. I never — I would never — I came — I was probably aware of it 10 years after it was written… Well, you know, we talked about [the newsletters] twice yesterday at CNN. Why don't you go back and look at what I said yesterday on CNN, and what I've said for 20-some years. It was 22 years ago. I didn't write them. I disavow them and that's it.

Paul's denials, however, are not supported by the public record. When the newsletters first arose as an issue in 1996, Paul didn't deny authorship. Instead, Paul personally repeated and defended some of the most incendiary racial claims in the newsletters.

In May 1996, Paul was confronted in an interview by the Dallas Morning News about a line that appeared in a 1992 newsletter, under the headline “Terrorist Updateâ€

PostPosted: 12/27/11 8:00 am • # 21 
Administrator

Here is some of Ron Paul's BIG streak of crazy that is so unnerving to me ~ Image ~ Sooz

December 27, 2011 11:25 AM
It's not just the racist newsletters
By Steve Benen

As the odds improve that Ron Paul might win the Iowa caucuses, there's been an increase in scrutiny for the strange Texas congressman. In particular, the Republican's history of publishing racist newsletters in the 1990s has received quite a bit of attention.

But as Reuters reports today, it's worth remembering that Paul's list of problems goes well beyond some newsletters.

[quote]

The man who might win the Republican Party's first presidential nominating contest fears that the United Nations may take control of the U.S. money supply.

Campaigning for the January 3 Iowa caucuses, Ron Paul warns of eroding civil liberties, a Soviet Union-style economic collapse and violence in the streets.

The Texas congressman, author of “End the Fed,â€

PostPosted: 12/27/11 2:40 pm • # 22 
[quote="sooz08"]Here is some of Ron Paul's BIG streak of crazy that is so unnerving to me ~ Image ~ Sooz

December 27, 2011 11:25 AM
It's not just the racist newsletters
By Steve Benen

As the odds improve that Ron Paul might win the Iowa caucuses, there's been an increase in scrutiny for the strange Texas congressman. In particular, the Republican's history of publishing racist newsletters in the 1990s has received quite a bit of attention.

But as Reuters reports today, it's worth remembering that Paul's list of problems goes well beyond some newsletters.

[quote]

The man who might win the Republican Party's first presidential nominating contest fears that the United Nations may take control of the U.S. money supply.

Campaigning for the January 3 Iowa caucuses, Ron Paul warns of eroding civil liberties, a Soviet Union-style economic collapse and violence in the streets.

The Texas congressman, author of “End the Fed,â€

PostPosted: 12/27/11 3:18 pm • # 23 
Administrator

Does he mention anything to replace it?

PostPosted: 12/27/11 3:24 pm • # 24 
Editorialist

a Paul quote from a recent debate in which the congressman argued that a fence along the U.S.-Mexico border might be “designedâ€

PostPosted: 12/27/11 7:50 pm • # 25 
Editorialist

[quote="roseanne"]a Paul quote from a recent debate in which the congressman argued that a fence along the U.S.-Mexico border might be “designedâ€

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply