It is currently 03/28/24 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/29/11 4:32 am • # 1 
Administrator

A very big GOOD JOB to the 23 states who earned this "bonus" ~ over a million more children now have health coverage ~ Image ~ and shame on the states that didn't qualify ~ Sooz

Federal government to give states $300 million for child health coverage
By Reuters
Thursday, December 29, 2011

To qualify for the bonuses, states needed to surpass a specified enrollment target under the Medicaid program for low-income Americans and adopt procedures that make it easier for children to enroll and retain coverage under Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP).

The performance bonus payments are designed help offset costs states incur when they enroll lower income children in Medicaid. They are funded under the 2009 Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act.

Since CHIP was reauthorized in 2009, the number of children with insurance has risen by 1.2 million, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The 23 states eligible for performance bonuses are: Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin.

(Reporting By Lewis Krauskopf; Editing by Steve Orlofsky)

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/12/29/federal-government-to-give-states-300-million-for-child-health-coverage/

PostPosted: 12/29/11 4:46 am • # 2 
Geez I am surprised that Missouri isn't on the list with as much poverty there is in this state and children without insurance.

PostPosted: 12/29/11 5:20 am • # 3 
Editorialist

not many "blue states" on that list.

PostPosted: 12/29/11 5:24 am • # 4 
We (meaning the social workers) enroll the babies that qualify right in the hospital.  You have to make an effort. 

PostPosted: 12/29/11 5:32 am • # 5 
Administrator

I found that surprising, too, mac ~ and it pisses me off because providing health care for children should not be a partisan issue ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/29/11 6:10 am • # 6 
Editorialist

When my youngest had peripheral neuropathy with drop foot, we had no insurance. A very kind social worker fudged some numbers to get her qualified for such a program, which was through BCBS. I was so grateful!  It allowed her to have an MRI  and some nerve conduction tests that wouldn't have been possible otherwise. Image

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply