It is currently 03/29/24 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/30/11 4:15 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I read something else about this "judge" recently ~ if I'm remembering correct, there is more than one ethical challenge open against him ~ sounds like a good candidate for impeachment to me ~ I'm fairly sure Michael Best is the law firm that Reince Whateverhislastnameis [the new chairman of the GOP] was a partner ~ Sooz

Court challenge filed to Wisconsin anti-union law
By Reuters
Friday, December 30, 2011

By Jeff Mayers

MADISON, Wisc (Reuters) – The Wisconsin Supreme Court should void a controversial state law curbing the power of public sector unions because a judge who ruled on the law had a conflict of interest, a county attorney said on Friday.

Dane County District Attorney Ismael Ozanne said in a court filing that Judge Michael Gableman should have recused himself from the case.

A divided Supreme Court in June allowed the union law to go into effect by a vote of 4 to 3 with Gableman in the majority. The court would have been deadlocked had Gableman recused himself.

The law set off a fierce national debate on the collective bargaining rights of labor unions and prompted a drive to remove from office nine Wisconsin state senators. Two Republicans who had supported the union curbs were recalled.

The law forced local workers such as teachers to pay more for health care and pensions, and limited the ability of their unions to negotiate wage increases.

Democrats and labor unions are leading a campaign to force a recall election next year of Republican Governor Scott Walker, who championed the union law.

The court filing on Friday said that Gableman should have recused himself because a lawyer who represented the Republican-led state government in the case had represented Gableman on a personal issue.

“Justice Gableman received legal representation from a private law firm, Michael Best & Friedrich, LLP in a personal legal matter without any obligation to pay legal fees,â€

PostPosted: 12/30/11 4:28 pm • # 2 
Administrator

[i]“Justice Gableman received legal representation from a private law firm, Michael Best & Friedrich, LLP in a personal legal matter without any obligation to pay legal fees,â€

PostPosted: 12/30/11 4:40 pm • # 3 
Administrator

It's up to a firm to charge or not ~ but if not charged, I'm pretty sure the judge is ethically required to declare it on his financial statement as a "gift" ~ but no matter what else, it is a glaring conflict of interest for this "judge" to hear any case argued by his own lawyer [and maybe any case argued by any lawyer from that firm] ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/31/11 1:49 am • # 4 
Administrator

The stink of corruption.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply