It is currently 05/18/24 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/07/12 7:21 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

As I was thinking about Obama's win, I started thinking about the wars, past and present then remembered that November 11th is Veteran's/Remembrance Day. I had marked this in my faves a while back to post. Not only in honor of the veterans, but also in protest of war. It is very moving to me. I will post what was written on YouTube after this.

PostPosted: 11/07/12 7:26 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

A note about the date mentioned in the Song:

Anzac Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand, originally commemorated by both countries on 25 April every year to honour the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in the Ottoman Empire during World War I. It now more broadly commemorates all those who served and died in military operations for their countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_Day

Comments from YouTube:

When I was asked to create this presentation for a Remembrance Day assembly, I didn't know how I would show an "anti-war" song at an event that is supposed to honour our veterans. At the same time, war and military conflict was such a distant concept for our students, I wanted to some how make history relevant to them, let alone an "Australian" song that most of the our middle school students have never heard.

The more I listened to Bogle's words, the more I realized that this song was about more than a moment in history. It's about how history repeats itself and the great sacrifices that are made during war and how futile it all is if we fail to learn from our mistakes.

Making the transition from B/W to full colour to coincide with Bogle's words "We started all over again," I wanted to show how war is part of our past, present and (unfortunately) future.

Great sacrifices have been made because of war. Bogle asks "What are they marching for?" I say they are marching to honour those sacrifices. If any veteran is offended by this video, I truly do apologize.

April 25 - ANZAC Day
November 11 - Remembrance Day

"Waltzing Matilda" is a very famous Australian folk song and a "Matilda" was the name given to the pack that Australian farm workers carried on their backs.

To "Waltz Matilda" meant to carry your pack of belongings through the bush.

The song "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" by Eric Bogle is about Australian soldiers who fought against Turkish troops and died in the Battle of Gallipoli in World War I.

Mixed with pictures from Gallipoli are pictures of past and present Canadian troops because this song and slideshow was played during a Remembrance Day assembly at a Canadian public school.

Information about this song was taken from this web page (which is NOT mine) that talks about Eric Bogle's performance of this song:

http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/matilda.html

Judging by a lot of people's comments, I should have used another source for info and double-checked the data. I hope that Bogle's message reaches beyond just numbers--because all sacrifices big or small are significant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG48Ftsr ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: 11/07/12 7:33 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Another great one from Eric Bogle

PostPosted: 11/07/12 7:47 pm • # 4 
Great posts Roseanne!

Thank You!

PostPosted: 11/08/12 6:55 am • # 5 
Editorialist

You're welcome. :) I had never heard these until I found a link a while back. Both of them are great songs and will tug at your heartstrings.

PostPosted: 11/11/12 8:25 am • # 6 
Editorialist

Bump for Veteran's/Remembrance Day :)

PostPosted: 11/11/12 8:30 am • # 7 
Administrator

Every Veterans' and Memorial Day leaves me with mixed emotions ~ I hate war ~ but I feel deep gratitude and respect for the courage and dedication and selflessness and personal sacrifices of our generational military troops and their families ~ and great sadness for the countless lives lost or changed forever ~

To all who have served and are serving today, thank you from my heart ~ :fl ~ Love, Sooz

PostPosted: 11/11/12 2:09 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

I think its one of the most moving anti-war songs I have ever heard. Another one you might check out though Rose is "I was Only Nineteen" by Redgum.

I'm happy to translate for you if necessary :D

I also think its interesting to point out that Australia and New Zealand are probably the only countries in the world who celebrate their veteran's day on the anniversary of a crushing defeat.

PostPosted: 11/11/12 2:50 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

Re: Translation.

You are close, but not exact on what "Waltzing Matilda" means. The "Pack" you are talking about was basically a rolled blanket, a tucker (food) bag and a billy can for making tea. And while the "swagmen" were primarily agricultural labourers, the key point is that they were itinerant workers who were constantly on the road, walking from job to job. The "Matilda" was their camping gear.

And it was called a "Matilda" because it was ... well... kind of their wife.

PostPosted: 11/11/12 9:13 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

Cattleman wrote:
Re: Translation.

You are close, but not exact on what "Waltzing Matilda" means. The "Pack" you are talking about was basically a rolled blanket, a tucker (food) bag and a billy can for making tea. And while the "swagmen" were primarily agricultural labourers, the key point is that they were itinerant workers who were constantly on the road, walking from job to job. The "Matilda" was their camping gear.

And it was called a "Matilda" because it was ... well... kind of their wife.

It was very moving. The power of music.

PostPosted: 11/12/12 6:20 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

Another old vet asked me to join him for lunch today, on the house at TGI Friday's. Talked about our time in, had a nice meal, nice glass of beer, tipped the waiter outrageously. Vethood isn't all sadness.

PostPosted: 11/12/12 6:27 pm • # 12 
Administrator

I don't think we even have a specific veterans day. I wonder why?

PostPosted: 11/13/12 12:49 am • # 13 
This was really a sad video. Certainly things on it I never knew.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply