It is currently 05/17/24 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/09/12 11:07 pm • # 26 
All generalizations are dumb.

PostPosted: 11/10/12 12:53 am • # 27 
I have watched FOX News a few times since the election to see how they are taking the defeat of Romney and you should hear some of the reasons they give for the defeat. Just last night Hannity said Obama won because he ran a dirty campaign and was calling Romney all sorts of names. Everyone on Fox News has been whining about Romney's loss. Poor things.

PostPosted: 11/10/12 9:49 am • # 28 
Quote:
The problem with stereotyping, SciFi, is that it covers everyone indiscriminately ~ the same problem exists with over-arching generalities ~

I agree. But this wasn't an isolated event. Clearly there is a lot of racism in the deep South, and we shouldn't justify looking the other way in order to be politically correct.

There is a definite problem there, and I think this is something that should be tackled. I don't have all the answers off the top of my head, but perhaps the schools should include classes where children at young ages are taught about other people's cultures and races. For instance, here in California the schools observe Black History Month, Gay Pride month, celebrate Cinco de Mayo, and the like. Do schools in the deep South do that?

PostPosted: 11/10/12 10:11 am • # 29 
Administrator

I'm not suggesting or justifying "political correctness" ~ I see it as a form of bigotry to stereotype or generalize indiscriminately ~ are there racists in the South [and North and East and West]? ~ yes, there are ~ is everyone in the South [or North or East or West] racist? ~ no, absolutely not ~

I don't know what schools in the deep South do or don't teach ~ given the deep South's revisionist history and science stances, my guess would be other cultures education would be limited, at best ~ but I agree education is the answer ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/10/12 11:56 am • # 30 
Editorialist

Are they all racists? Nope. Is there more racism in Alabama? Yes! Having spent almost 50 years there, I can say that without a doubt, there are more racists in Alabama than any other state. I've seen it. I've lived it. I was there during the race riots and integration. I saw the "white flight" in neighborhoods that continues to this day.

What disturbed me the most, but didn't surprise me, is the number of young people tossing around the N word on Twitter. My one daughter slung that word at me not long ago out of frustration. I was appalled. She did apologize immediately.

Here is the attitude in Alabama. The blacks that they know are all ok. The rest are not. It's an odd thing, but it's true. They paint an entire race with one broad brush, unless the person is a co-worker or attends their church (which is few). Unfortunately, because of the "white flight" and other things, the races do not mix much. School is one thing, but outside of that the races keep to themselves socially. Most churches are still segregated. That is, there are many white churches that have a few black members, but very few black churches that have any white members. There are still "black" bars and such. IOW, there are many blacks that go to "white" bars, but few whites that go to "black" bars. There are several civic organizations that are predominately black or white. Until that changes, there will be little progress.

I don't know how to explain it any better.

PostPosted: 11/10/12 12:22 pm • # 31 
Administrator

I don't know how to explain it any better.

You did fine.

PostPosted: 11/10/12 3:55 pm • # 32 
However, the statements that the most racists tweets came from Alabama and Mississippi is not a stereotype, but a statement of fact.

PostPosted: 11/10/12 4:55 pm • # 33 
Administrator

I'm not sure such a small sample would be considered sufficient to arrive at any conclusion unless a 97% margin of error is acceptable. ;)

PostPosted: 11/10/12 10:50 pm • # 34 

Via KTXL-TV Channel 40 (Fox40), Sacramento:

Animation:

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply