It is currently 05/12/24 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/06/12 10:08 pm • # 1 
Video at this link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/06/ann-coulter-gop-taxes-obama-hannity_n_2249545.html

Ann Coulter Says GOP Should Give In To Obama On Taxes: 'We Lost The Election'
Posted: 12/06/2012 7:46 am EST Updated: 12/06/2012 2:59 pm EST

Ann Coulter shocked Sean Hannity on Wednesday when she conceded that she thinks Republicans should let tax rates for the rich go up.

House Republicans are currently battling President Obama over whether or not to hike taxes on the top 2 percent of earners in the negotiations over the so-called "fiscal cliff."

After Coulter started to say that Republicans should concede on taxes on the very rich, Hannity wondered why the House didn't just pass a bill extending the Bush tax cuts for everyone.

"OK fine, let's do that, but in the end, at some point, if the Bush tax cuts are repealed and everyone's taxes go up, I promise you Republicans will get blamed for it," she said. "It doesn't mean you cave on everything, but there are some things Republicans do that feed into what the media is telling America about Republicans."

"So are you saying that, for PR purposes, that they should give in to Obama on the tax rate?" Hannity asked.

"Not exactly, I--" Coulter said, before stopping herself and saying, "Well, yeah, I guess I am."

"You're saying capitulate to Obama?" Hannity stammered. "We don't have a revenue problem, Ann."

"We lost the election, Sean!" Coulter replied.

Other right-wing pundits, such as Bill Kristol, have echoed Coulter's argument. Kristol famously said that it wouldn't "kill the country" if taxes on millionaires went up.

PostPosted: 12/07/12 7:36 am • # 2 
Administrator

Well, that's interesting. It isn't about the good of the nation, it's about PR and perception.
They finally admit it publicly.

PostPosted: 12/07/12 10:30 am • # 3 
Editorialist

oskar- i think she is right. if the GOP really thinks that raising taxes is a disaster, then they should let those of us that believe that it is NOT a disaster try it. if it proves to be a disaster, then they can have their turn. otherwise, they should STFU. it is actually pretty reasonable. i wish more conservatives would say this.

PostPosted: 12/09/12 11:51 am • # 4 

It's just that she believes in her heart of hearts that taxing the wealthy would eventually harm the economy. She wants to see the economy fail so that her party can come back later and say, "See, we told you so. Now vote Republican! We have the answers!"

PostPosted: 12/09/12 12:12 pm • # 5 
I truthfully don't think she has strong feelings one way or another on the tax for the upper 2 percent. Ann is more interested in promoting her own product; her TV appearances, her books, her newspaper columns.

PostPosted: 12/09/12 1:30 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

SciFiGuy wrote:
It's just that she believes in her heart of hearts that taxing the wealthy would eventually harm the economy. She wants to see the economy fail so that her party can come back later and say, "See, we told you so. Now vote Republican! We have the answers!"

of course. this is no secret. but what is different about this rhetoric is that the GOP has been unwilling to even allow the rest of us to try what we think is best.

PostPosted: 12/09/12 10:44 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

Ann's history has been that she is at war with liberalism (as she defines it) and with liberals. She of course defines liberalism in a crazy and false way. It's safe to say that she would seek to discredit anything the Obama admin does, anything the Dems do. I have no idea what's in her mind now. But why should I care? I really think the nutty cohort of conservatism in this country has been defeated and discredited among most US citizens.

PostPosted: 12/09/12 11:01 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Dropping book sale numbers and an attempt to reach buyers other than from the right fringe?

PostPosted: 12/09/12 11:32 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

She's smart enough. She may recognize that the blatant propaganda market is soft right now. you may be right, Jab.

Does anyone know how whether the audiences of the piss and moan instigators, (e.g. Limbaugh, Hannity, etc) are growing or shrinking?

PostPosted: 12/10/12 12:46 am • # 10 
I have an uneasy feeling that Obama is going to give in to the Republicans on this and it's going to totally piss me off if he does!!

PostPosted: 12/10/12 8:01 am • # 11 
Administrator

grampatom wrote:
She's smart enough. She may recognize that the blatant propaganda market is soft right now. you may be right, Jab.

Does anyone know how whether the audiences of the piss and moan instigators, (e.g. Limbaugh, Hannity, etc) are growing or shrinking?

It seems that impervious bubble dwellers like Hoodat etc hide in a closet, perhaps listening to Rush with head phones. I really doubt they would honestly answer that Nielsen phone call at the moment.

PostPosted: 12/10/12 8:13 am • # 12 
Administrator

Ann Coulter has some hidden motive fueling her sudden recognition of reality ~ so do the House GOP/TPers who also appear ready to cave on taxes ~ I'm guessing they will try to exact repayment via the debt ceiling "debate" in January ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/10/12 11:53 am • # 13 
Editorialist

grampatom wrote:

Limbaugh's numbers are off. so are the mainstays of FOX. 2012 has not been friendly to conservative media.

PostPosted: 12/10/12 12:07 pm • # 14 
Administrator

macroscopic wrote:
grampatom wrote:

Limbaugh's numbers are off. so are the mainstays of FOX. 2012 has not been friendly to conservative media.

Beyond his numbers tanking, Limbaugh has lost a large percentage of the advertisers for his program and is now being blamed for affecting the whole "conservative radio family" bottom line ~ Fox numbers are way down too, and I read somewhere that Rachel Maddow's numbers have soared past Sean Hannity's and are leaving him in the dust ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/10/12 12:32 pm • # 15 
Administrator

The nonsensers are tanking?
Relax, folks. It's merely another trend.

PostPosted: 12/10/12 12:47 pm • # 16 
Administrator

oskar576 wrote:
The nonsensers are tanking?
Relax, folks. It's merely another trend.

Yep, for sure ~ but I'll take THIS trend over the opposite any time!

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/10/12 4:01 pm • # 17 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
macroscopic wrote:
grampatom wrote:

Beyond his numbers tanking, Limbaugh has lost a large percentage of the advertisers for his program and is now being blamed for affecting the whole "conservative radio family" bottom line ~ Fox numbers are way down too, and I read somewhere that Rachel Maddow's numbers have soared past Sean Hannity's and are leaving him in the dust ~

Sooz

she didn't beat him in overall numbers, but in the key 25-54 demographic.
he still leads because of elderly viewers.
HOWEVER, her numbers are better than O'Reilly's now, and she is right in the mix, rather than way back.

PostPosted: 12/11/12 12:22 am • # 18 
I am just loving how the Republicans continue to have no clue on how to deal with yet another election loss. Just gotta love this.

PostPosted: 12/11/12 7:49 am • # 19 
Administrator

I agree the GOP/TPers "... have no clue on how to deal with yet another election loss" ~ in my own mind the answer is that they each flat-out refuse to even look at reality ~ but as for "loving it", their "no clue" makes me somewhat edgy on what they will try next ~ I see the entire party as being stuck on extremism, and the "leaders" as far too invested in personal gain ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/11/12 8:43 am • # 20 
I have no doubts the Republicans will try everythng and anything to continue on their road to destroy Obama and try to get their way as they have done over the past years. My worry is how much will Obama cave?

PostPosted: 12/11/12 8:52 am • # 21 
Administrator

Given term limits, methinks they have fish to fry other than Obama.

PostPosted: 12/11/12 8:54 am • # 22 
Administrator

Your "... how much will Obama cave?" is a good question, Dee ~ my guess: very little ~ and my further guess is that any "cave" will favor a bigger benefit for the public ~ Obama has nothing to lose by hanging tough ~ and this time, it looks like the Dems are hanging tough as well ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/11/12 8:56 am • # 23 
Administrator

oskar576 wrote:
Given term limits, methinks they have fish to fry other than Obama.

While I'm not arguing the "term limits" concept, I'm curious what you see as "... fish to fry other than Obama", oskar ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/11/12 9:02 am • # 24 
My hope is the Republican Party will continue on this very self destructive path they have gone down over the past 12 years and that you are correct Sooz in that Obama and the Democrats will hang tough.

PostPosted: 12/11/12 9:13 am • # 25 
Obama is going to hang tough on insisting tax rate increases on the top 2 percent, however he'll deal on other stuff. That's what negotiation is. It's also what he has to do.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply