It is currently 04/28/24 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Meet Jack
PostPosted: 12/12/12 8:12 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Local story that's had my attention. The BCAA is where we got Baccus, and Jack is at North Star Vet Hospital, that's where we took Odin when we were trying to save him.

His story was featured on the news last night, and it's in the paper this morning. I hope the extra publicity can help with donations. He deserves a chance. Photo at link, I'll try to find the news video later. Still can't figure out why his owners aren't being charged with neglect and cruelty.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/blogs/joe_ma ... k.facebook

Sometimes a dog just needs a miracle.
And after an awful few weeks, Jack certainly needed one.
Ideally, Jack, who doctors believe is about a year old, would be nearly a full-sized mastiff, which would put him at about 100 pounds. Instead, he was turned into Philadelphia Animal Care and Control on Dec. 4 as a 45-pound owner surrender.
The shelter, which deals with hundreds of animals every day, kept Jack for two days before turning him over to the Burlington County Animal Alliance.
And when he got into the hands of Lorraine C. Schrieber, Jack’s miracle got on track.
“He was skin and bones when we got him,” Schrieber said. “He was very sick, so we took him to the Mount Laurel Animal Hospital, where they monitored him. While he was there, he passed a tube sock and we hoped that was what was making him sick. But then the doctors realized it was more than that, so they recommended we get him an ultrasound.”
Two days later, Jack was once again transferred, this time to North Star, an emergency animal hospital in Robbinsville.
There, the ultrasound showed that Jack had consumed quite a bit of laundry, including more socks and underwear.
“We can only assume that he was so hungry, he was trying to eat anything he could,” Schrieber said.
Not only did the clothing give poor Jack no vitamins or nutrition, it also blocked any of the good food from entering his belly.
Essentially, Jack was dying until he underwent a procedure on Saturday afternoon.
“They preformed an endoscopy and pulled out most of the items,” Schrieber said. “There were still some in his intestines, but most of it was out. And then (Tuesday) he had diarrhea and they said that was a great sign.”
Now Jack is on the rebound. He still has a rocky road to recovery ahead. He’s still learning how to eat. He can’t stand or walk because he’s far too weak.
But he can show just how loving he is, and for a little guy who has gone through so much trauma, that shows he truly is a great pooch.

Post subject: Re: Meet Jack
PostPosted: 12/12/12 8:26 am • # 2 
Wow!!! That is a very nice story. Hopefully he will find a good and loving home.

PostPosted: 12/12/12 9:49 am • # 3 
Editorialist

I hope he gets a loving, forever home soon.

PostPosted: 12/12/12 10:20 am • # 4 
Editorialist

With A LOT of kibble!

PostPosted: 12/12/12 11:15 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Here's the link to the story that ran on the news, there's a short video. Word is a lovely lady named Amy has stepped up as a foster mom/potential forever home, if he makes it. She met him on Monday and he likes her.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/1 ... e-on-life/

PostPosted: 12/13/12 6:59 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

Poor Jack took a bad turn, and would up needing surgery to repair his intestines today. They had tried to avoid that, removed all the laundry he ate with an endoscope...but.....

Next 48 hours are critical.

PostPosted: 12/13/12 7:15 pm • # 7 
Administrator

I so wish the former owners could be found and held responsible ~ keeping my fingers crossed for Jack's full and speedy recovery ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/15/12 5:56 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

Jack died. He seemed to be doing well after surgery, but his heart gave out.

The lady who was going to adopt him is still going ahead with the paperwork and adoption fee, so he died belonging to someone.

PostPosted: 12/15/12 10:15 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

this breaks my heart. Im glad he belonged to someone.

PostPosted: 12/16/12 12:49 am • # 10 
OMG... this breaks my heart. Jack would have been welcome here with all our other rescued animals we now call family. How heartbreaking to read this. Such bad news the past couple days. :drfl

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply