It is currently 04/28/24 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/13/12 9:41 am • # 1 
Administrator

13 December 2012 Last updated at 10:30 ET

The Israeli Foreign Minister, Avigdor Lieberman, has been charged with breach of trust in connection with a long-running financial scandal.

But Mr Lieberman has been cleared of more serious offences, including money-laundering and bribery.

The charge against one of the most powerful politicians in Israel comes six weeks before a general election.

Opposition parties had called for Mr Lieberman's resignation if he was indicted on any of the charges.

The foreign minister, whose party recently joined that of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for the elections, denied any wrongdoing.

Prosecutors had suspected Mr Lieberman had laundered illicit funds, but there was apparently insufficient evidence to take the matter to trial.

Mr Lieberman has been charged with the lesser offence of receiving official material from the investigation against him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20716543#

PostPosted: 12/13/12 10:01 am • # 2 
Administrator

I 100% support rooting out corruption wherever/whenever/whoever is a "player" ~ but this report leaves questions in my own mind ~ "insufficient evidence" suggests "innocence" or at least raises serious questions/doubts about the charges ~ and I don't remember ever before hearing of criminal charges being brought for "receiving official material" ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/13/12 10:45 am • # 3 
Administrator

When one is under investigation I don't think one is legally entitled to be kept abreast of the investigation. That would constitute a breach of trust.

PostPosted: 12/13/12 10:57 am • # 4 
Administrator

Probably right, oskar ~ but I see a BIG difference between offering/giving the info and receiving the info ~ I'm just thinking there's more to this story than the op reports ... or maybe knows ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/13/12 11:06 am • # 5 
Administrator

He's part of Bibi's gang.
I don't imagine Israel's political/corporate/media machine is any cleaner than anywhere else's.

PostPosted: 12/14/12 9:17 am • # 6 
Administrator

Israel Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman resigns

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20731396#

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply