It is currently 03/28/24 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 38 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/19/12 10:44 am • # 26 
A message to the NRA:

We've tried it your way. It doesn't work. It's time to try our way. It's time to have "the discussion". You're welcome to join in, but don't be surprised if you find yourself on the far side of the table.

PostPosted: 12/19/12 9:50 pm • # 27 
Editorialist

Margaret and Helen, spot on as usual (bolding/underlining mine):

Guns do not kill people. They just make it easier to kill people.

Margaret, can we – the American People – finally have a rational conversation about gun control?

It was an elementary school this time – an elementary school with children the same age as my grandchildren. I can hardly bear it. Those poor precious children…

Is the insanity of this enough for us to finally kick the militia morons to the curb and have an intelligent conversation about the real reason for the Second Amendment?

Yes. I know. Guns do not kill people. People using guns kill people. The same can be said about tanks.

I have no doubt that in the coming days we will learn that no laws or gun control of any kind could have prevented this tragedy. There are millions of guns already out there and new gun control laws won’t do anything about that… bad people can always find a way to get a gun. Most gun owners are responsible people who have legitimate reasons to own a gun. So there’s nothing we can do, right?

Bullshit. Not doing anything is not the answer. It’s the problem. I refuse to believe that hunters and responsible gun owners can’t have a meaningful conversation about better gun laws with citizens who do not wish to own guns.

We are already hearing about the mental instability of the shooter – a child himself. And there will be meaningful conversation about the lack of good mental health policies and how that was the cause of all this and not gun control laws. Everyone can agree that mental illness, just like any illness, should not go untreated. So where is the disconnect? Why are conversations about mental illness and gun control mutually exclusive? Please Dear God if Republicans and Democrats can ever come together about something, this must be it. And for those of you who think now is not the time to talk about gun laws, I wholeheartedly agree. That conversation should have happened long ago. And it definitely should have happened before 20 precious children lost their lives.

It doesn’t matter what type of gun was used. It doesn’t matter if that gun was obtained illegally or legally. It doesn’t matter if the person was mentally unstable or just plain evil. What matters is that the most powerful country on the globe must have an intelligent conversation about the manufacturing, sale and ownership of guns without someone screaming nonsense about the 2nd Amendment.

Guns do not kill people. They make it easier to kill people. There are 314 million Americans and we own almost 300 million guns. That is the very definition of mental illness. I mean it. Really.

http://margaretandhelen.com/

PostPosted: 12/19/12 11:08 pm • # 28 
Smart cookies.

PostPosted: 12/21/12 9:32 am • # 29 
Editorialist

So, I had a small gun control argument with oldest daughter last night after talking about Sandy Hook.

She said "We can't stop this sort of thing. Did you hear about that man in Japan that attacked the children with a knife?"

I asked: "Did those children die?"

She said: " I don't know" :eyes I told her that they didn't die.

Then she said, "Criminals will always get guns"

I said: "But, HE wasn't a criminal.....until he took the first shot. His mother wasn't a criminal, but stockpiled weapons"

Then I proceeded to ask her this:

"Why are guns made?" "What are they used for?" "Why does anyone, other than law enforcement and the military need a 40 shot clip?"

Now, "Why are knives made?" "What are they <mostly> used for?"

She finally saw some sense in gun control laws. :) We don't usually discuss things like this because I know how my kids will react. Southerners, conservatives and Christians.........
But, I felt this was to important to just let go.

PostPosted: 12/21/12 9:43 am • # 30 
I am dreading Christmas Day actually. We are going up to my right-wing conservative family in PA. My brother-in-law was already ranting about Obama taking away our second amendment rights last week.

It is very hard to have rational conversations about things like these with family. Normally we just want peaceful holidays and these discussions are emotion-laden.

PostPosted: 12/21/12 10:07 am • # 31 
Administrator

By some quirk of fate, my family is varying degrees of liberal, with the noted exception of my non-lunatic sister ~ but even she is now coming around slooooowly ~ but we have no problem finding other things to argue over ~ :b

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/23/12 9:38 pm • # 32 
The shooting last Friday would have happened regardless of any gun control just as it would have happened if the kids bowed down and prayed in school five times a day (jimwilliam)

FTR, I don't like LaPierre, or Huckabee...but the only thing that might have saved some lives at Sandy Hook that horrible morning would have been a well placed bullet in the head of the shooter....

PostPosted: 12/23/12 10:01 pm • # 33 
Editorialist

but the only thing that might have saved some lives at Sandy Hook that horrible morning would have been a well placed bullet in the head of the shooter....

The shooter did wind up with a well placed bullet in his head. His own bullet.

PostPosted: 12/23/12 11:35 pm • # 34 
Cannalee2 wrote:
The shooting last Friday would have happened regardless of any gun control just as it would have happened if the kids bowed down and prayed in school five times a day (jimwilliam)

FTR, I don't like LaPierre, or Huckabee...but the only thing that might have saved some lives at Sandy Hook that horrible morning would have been a well placed bullet in the head of the shooter....

i don't know if I believe that. HE would have gone to the school and executed his plan no mattr what. But if bushmaster's were illegal mom would NOT have had a bushmaster and he may have had to make do with old fashioned handguns. I am thinking less lives would have been lost.

PostPosted: 12/24/12 12:02 am • # 35 
Editorialist

Hmmm...what ifs are a dime a dozen...

....but what if the shooter didn't have easy access to any guns at all? Would he have gone to the school with, say, a knife (as in the other school attack)?

As awkward and introverted as he was reported to be, I'm not so sure he would have. A gun is a very detached way to kill people, you don't have to get up close and personal.

PostPosted: 12/24/12 10:45 am • # 36 
Chaos - Like you I am for NO guns. I think adding guns for teachers and administrators is an AWFUL idea. The weaponry is already inside the building so it saves the perpetrator the trouble of carrying it in.

NO guns is never, ever, ever going to happen. I think the first step has to be to legislate away the semi/automatic things.

PostPosted: 12/24/12 11:03 am • # 37 
Editorialist

i don't know if I believe that. HE would have gone to the school and executed his plan no mattr what. But if bushmaster's were illegal mom would NOT have had a bushmaster and he may have had to make do with old fashioned handguns. I am thinking less lives would have been lost.

He wouldn't necessarily have had to do with old fashioned hand guns. The liklihood that automatic weapons will be outlawed in the U.S. is nil. But, even if they were, and he took a handgun instead his first target, out of necessity, would have been the NRA's rent-a-cop who, in all liklihood would have had something similar to a Bushmaster and the kid would have been back in business.

PostPosted: 12/24/12 6:25 pm • # 38 
Horkerbee is a sideshow to take your eyes off the prize: the NRA.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 38 posts ] New Topic Add Reply