It is currently 05/23/24 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/16/12 12:27 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I don't like rope bridges that are far far far lower than 10,000 feet ~ even with the mega gorgeous scenery, I'm 99.99999% sure I could not walk across this bridge ~ Sooz

Tourists cross the Titlis Cliff Walk, the highest rope bridge in Europe, at an altitude about 10,000 feet in Titlis, Switzerland. (© Sigi Tischler/EPA/Landov)

http://photos.msn.com/slideshow/photo/must-see-december-2012/23luf8wb#1

PostPosted: 12/16/12 12:35 pm • # 2 
Administrator

It isn't so much the actual altitude of the bridge but it's altitude relative to the altitude of the nearest object beneath it.
The latter governs the size of the splat. ;)

PostPosted: 12/16/12 2:23 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Since I'd already be feeling sick from the altitude I could maybe crawl (not walk) out a few feet before losing my lunch.

PostPosted: 12/16/12 4:58 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Don't know if I could do it now, but when I was younger I'd have done it in a heartbeat.
:D

PostPosted: 12/17/12 4:05 pm • # 5 
Hmm--looks like it might swaaaay on a breezy day--My opinion is like CMs: :puke

PostPosted: 12/17/12 5:37 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

What I wanna know is: How on earth did they get the darned thing built. Wait until the rope was wet and frozen.

I've wondered that about all rope bridges in primative areas. Okay, so you want a bridge from one high place, across a chasm of some depth, to get to the other side's high place.

Rope is relatively a non-ridged material so it isn't like you are putting out steel girders that can be affixed to both sides to meet in the middle. There's no support from beneath the bridge.

So---question of the day--How do they get the thing to meet in the middle. Does one person stand on one mountain side and then use some sort of device to catapult a heavy rope to the other side where someone is waiting to catch it.

Is there a very large person with a very large crocheting hook that that slowly crochets their way across with some kind of ridged length of pole capable of making a very narrow triangular support?

What?

I've been watching movies, both fictional and documentaries over the years and it is a very vacant of comprehension section of my brain as how primitive peoples have managed to construct, and trust, such rope bridges over some pretty spectacular heights.

Any of the engineering sort on here. I don't think I've ever known anyone in this field to ask the question.

How?

jd

PostPosted: 12/17/12 6:00 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Does one person stand on one mountain side and then use some sort of device to catapult a heavy rope to the other side where someone is waiting to catch it.

Most likely, assuming you're referring to primitive building methods.
Or somebody climbs down, accross and back up on the other side.
OTOH, helicopters have their uses for modern primitive bridges. ;)

PostPosted: 12/17/12 7:42 pm • # 8 
Administrator

That's how you build bridges! Appr. 1:40m into the documentation.

PostPosted: 12/17/12 9:36 pm • # 9 
That's awesome!

PostPosted: 12/17/12 9:40 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Great find, Jab!

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply