It is currently 05/18/24 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: Is it fear?
PostPosted: 12/18/12 7:48 am • # 26 
Administrator

Relax at little, why don't they?

Could you relax wearing things like those weird Mormon undies?

PostPosted: 12/18/12 7:52 pm • # 27 
Administrator

macroscopic wrote:
oskar576 wrote:
S'ok.
It's what happens to normal people having conversations.

thanks for tolerating that aside. i have been thinking about what drives this sort of thing. i wish that we, as a nation, would spend a LOT more time thinking about it. i can't imagine a lasting solution that doesn't include some serious introspection.

I'm with you on that, Mac ~ not only thinking about it, but a national conversation [without the usual theatrics and knee-jerk reactions] is exactly what is needed ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/18/12 9:04 pm • # 28 
Editorialist

co-worker told me that her son-in-law yesterday went into a major rant about Obama, withdrew $1000 from savings and bought more ammunition an another couple of firearms. Guy's got a bad temper too, she says. Not good.

PostPosted: 12/18/12 9:20 pm • # 29 
It's that way all over, gramps.

I think Bloomberg's got good ideas.

Michael Bloomberg: 6 ways to stop gun madness

Michael Bloomberg 8:47p.m. EST December 18, 2012

Sunday night, President Obama said he would use whatever powers his office holds to address this violence. He should begin immediately by sending a legislative package to Capitol Hill that the new Congress can consider and vote on as its first order of business when it convenes in January. The package should have three main elements:

First, it should prohibit the manufacture and sale of the military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips that have been used in too many mass shootings, including in Newtown. The previous ban on assault weapons expired in 2004. While President George W. Bush supported reinstating it, Congress never acted. The time has plainly come. Banning these weapons and ammunition does not mean there will never be another mass shooting. But these weapons were designed for mass killing, not hunting or self-defense. They do not belong in our communities.

Second, the president's legislative package should fix the broken background check system. Currently, nearly half of all gun sales in the U.S. are conducted without a background check. Criminals, the mentally ill, minors and domestic abusers are all prohibited from purchasing guns, but they all can do so as easily as attending a gun show or going online. The check takes only a few seconds, and it doesn't infringe on anyone's rights. That's why polls show that more than 80% of gun owners support a change in law to require background checks for all gun sales.

Third, the president's legislative package should make gun trafficking a felony. Gun rights advocates agree that penalties for illegal use and possession of guns should be stiffened -- and so should penalties on those who are engaged in gun trafficking.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... s/1777889/

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ] New Topic Add Reply