It is currently 03/28/24 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/24/12 10:20 am • # 1 
Editorialist

OMG! It seems that they were fired upon after arriving, so they couldn't address the fire. It spread to adjacent houses as police were called in. From the pics I've seen, it looks like an expensive lakeside neighborhood. So sad. I do believe the entire country is going nuts!

Four firefighters were shot -- two fatally -- as they responded to a large fire early Monday in Webster, N.Y., in the northwestern part of the state.

When the firefighters, believed to be volunteers, arrived on the scene of the blaze around 6 a.m. ET and exited their vehicles, they were fired upon, police and fire officials said.

The gunfire forced firefighters to flee from the scene of the blaze -- a narrow spit of land, with Lake Erie on one side and Irondequoit Bay on the other.

The two firefighters who were hit but survived are being treated at a local hospital for their wounds.

"Miserable thing to happen this time of year," Mark Johns, a state assemblyman who represents the area, told local NBC station WHEC. Johns said he knew the firefighters who were shot.

Police say there is no longer an "active shooting" situation, but residents of the area are being evacuated, and police are searching them as they leave, the newspaper reported.

“I’m not aware of anything like this happening in Webster, obviously not a firefighter being fired upon,” Webster Fire Marshal Rob Boutillier said, according to the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle.

After the shooting, the fire grew to engulf at least three homes and one motor vehicle.

Michael Damico was among those forced to flee, according to the Democrat and Chronicle.

“The whole strip’s been evacuated,” Damico said. “They’re evacuating all of the houses and going through them.”

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/4-fi ... g-to-blaze

PostPosted: 12/24/12 10:39 am • # 2 
Too bad the firefighters weren't armed, they'd have been safe then. :puke

PostPosted: 12/24/12 11:21 am • # 3 
Editorialist

This madness has to stop!

:\'(

PostPosted: 12/24/12 1:11 pm • # 4 
Administrator

If we outlaw guns the fire fighters would have been greeted with cars, knives or baseball bats. :sarcasm

PostPosted: 12/24/12 2:10 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Multiple shootings have become the new normal.

PostPosted: 12/24/12 2:20 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

Update: It was an ambush!! :angry :eek

Two volunteer firefighters were shot to death and two others were wounded in an apparent ambush at the scene of a house fire near Rochester, N.Y., today.

The shooter opened fire on the first firefighters to arrive, Webster police Chief Gerald Pickering said at a press conference. "It does appear that it was a trap that was set for first responders."

He wouldn't speculate on whether the shooter had any relationship to any members of the police or fire departments that might have prompted the shootings.

"There was some pursuit on foot" and an exchange of gunfire, and the shooter was found dead on the north side of the road, Pickering said.

No other people were being sought and the area is now safe, he said. Police recovered both the shooter's body and the weapon used. The chief wouldn't describe the weapon and didn't name the perpetrator.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012 ... ester.html

PostPosted: 12/24/12 3:27 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Maybe we need a "Daily Massacre Thread".

PostPosted: 12/24/12 5:20 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

If he'd only had a gun............?

Police officer among 2 fatally shot in Houston

The officer was shot and killed when he approached the suspect's car.

HOUSTON — A Houston traffic stop ended with a gunman shooting and killing a police officer and a bystander on Christmas Eve in the parking lot of a body shop, police said.

The incident that began shortly before 9 a.m. Monday quickly evolved from a routine traffic stop into a violent confrontation when the suspect sped off in his black car rather than pull over as the police officer had requested, Houston police spokesman John Cannon said. As the suspect fled, he sideswiped a white truck, which also took off after him, he said.

The suspect and the white truck eventually pulled into a nearby Maaco body shop, and that is when the officer with the Bellaire Police Department approached the vehicle, Cannon added. Apparently, he said, an argument of sorts erupted, and the suspect pulled out a .380 caliber handgun and shot the officer.

"The saddest thing is that the officer, who is deceased, didn't have the opportunity to pull his weapon and defend himself," Cannon said. "It happened that fast."

A man then walked out of the body shop, and the suspect fired at him, Cannon said.

Other officers arrived at the scene and a gunfight erupted between the police and the suspect. The suspect was shot and fled on foot, Cannon said. He hid under a parked truck but officers followed a trail of blood and arrested him.

Police have not released the identities of the officer, the bystander or the suspect.

The suspect remains in a Houston hospital where he is in critical but stable condition. Cannon said he is expected to survive.

The suspect shot the bystander at close range, and he died at the scene, Cannon said. It wasn't clear why the man stepped outside the body shop or whether he was an employee or a customer, he added. The officer was rushed to a Houston hospital where he died.

Houston and Bellaire police and the Harris County District Attorney's office are investigating. Cannon said the suspect likely would face a multitude of charges, including capital murder of a police officer.

http://news.msn.com/us/police-officer-a ... in-houston

PostPosted: 12/24/12 5:37 pm • # 9 
Administrator

I read somewhere that the firemen's shooter had been in prison for 18 years for killing his 92yo grandmother ~ :g

I'm having a tough time absorbing all this ~ I know that deadly crimes increase around the holidays, but this is just overwhelming to me ~ and I note the cowardly/bullying NRA is hiding again, after the NRA prez advised the public to "not over=react" and LaPierre doubled down on his own idiocy on the Sunday morning shows ~ :angry

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/24/12 6:16 pm • # 10 
The NRA may be able to protect their members'/supporters' right to kill people own guns - but they can't kill an idea. This does have to stop... it's turning into a national tragedy of epic proportions.

With all the stuff I'm dealing with in Canada, I've learned to get active. I started leaving provocative, angry and pointed messages in the comments sections of on line news articles. I developed imagery and shared it on social networks; keeping it simple and distributing through Facebook (and vicariously through Twitter - the modern day bumper sticker). #IdleNoMore is now international and still building steam. It was started by four women in Northern Saskatchewan on Twitter.

Perhaps "#SilentNoMore" ... ?

Tell the NRA and their supporters that it's time to have "that discussion".

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply