It is currently 03/28/24 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/25/12 10:58 am • # 1 

Image New York Daily News - Monday, December 24, 2012

Fellow Conn. officers volunteer to cover town so Newtown police force can get Christmas Day off

Newtown police officers are getting a much needed day off on Christmas thanks to the kindness of their brethren from across the state. Connecticut officers from nearby towns not only have volunteered to cover all of the Newtown shifts but will donate their overtime pay to charities related to the shooting that left 27 people dead.

By David Knowles / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Officers from across Connecticut have "been actually non-stop with their aid. It's pretty amazing," says Newtown police spokesperson Sergeant Steve Santucci. "And tomorrow, they'll be at our assistance so that Newtown [officers] can be home with their families."

They’ll be home for Christmas.

After an emotionally draining 10 days since gunman Adam Lanza’s shooting rampage in Newtown, Conn. left 20 elementary school children and 7 adults dead, police in the grieving town learned they would be given Christmas day off.

Officers from across the state have banded together and volunteered to cover the shifts of every single member of the Newtown police.

"They've been actually non-stop with their aid. It's pretty amazing," Newtown police spokesperson Sergeant Steve Santucci told the Atlantic Wire. "And tomorrow, they'll be at our assistance so that Newtown [officers] can be home with their families."

If that gesture of kindness wasn’t enough, many of the officers who have stepped up to work on Christmas will also be donating their overtime pay to Newtown and Sandy Hook Elementary School charities.

Sat. Police Chief Michael Keehoe, who had visited Sandy Hook Elementary weeks before the shooting and had read to some of the children who were killed, is still struggling to come to terms with what happened there.

“I was devastated, absolutely devastated,” Keehoe told CBS News about the emotions of arriving at the school on the morning of the shooting.

“You feel a sense of guilt that you weren’t there quick enough,” Keehoe added.

Capt. Joe Rios, another Newtown officer who was among the first to arrive at the school, is also grappling with the images now burned into his memory.

“I walked in and it was horrific, the crime scene itself, and to see the adults and the children that were deceased, the classrooms, it was very hard, obviously, to comprehend what had happened,” Rios told CBS.

PostPosted: 12/25/12 11:50 am • # 2 
Administrator

Most likely organised by the Police Union.

PostPosted: 12/25/12 5:17 pm • # 3 
Most likely each officer had the freedom of choice to volunteer or not.

PostPosted: 12/25/12 5:27 pm • # 4 
Administrator

No one said they didn't have a choice... other than you obliquely attempting to imply it.

PostPosted: 12/25/12 5:35 pm • # 5 
No, but you tried to imply that it never would have happened were it not for unions.

And, by the way, you don't know that it was organized by unions. In fact, it probably wasn't because there would be too much red tape involved. And the unions likely would not organize something that asked its members to volunteer their time.

No, most likely it was NOT organized by the police union. It was probably organized by the goodwill of the people involved.

PostPosted: 12/25/12 6:10 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Ah, that language issue again. I said "probably".
That implies speculation based on probability and nothing else.
There are no implications at all.

PostPosted: 12/25/12 7:24 pm • # 7 
Your whole statement was nothing but speculation and implication. And it had nothing really to do with the story. Rather than giving kudos to the police officers for volunteering their time, you tried to give kudos to the police union -- which had nothing to do with it -- just to try to make some cheap political point by carrying over a conversation from another topic entirely.

All you do is go around jabbing people all the time and trying to make these cutesie smart-ass comments. Well, guess what, Oskar, I'm going to keep jabbing you right back. Maybe the others here let you get away with it, but I won't. You poke me, I'll poke you right back.

I looked into it -- and guess what -- the police union had nothing to do with it. It was a grass roots movement.

Quote:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/24/us/connecticut-newtown-police-holiday/

On Christmas Day, thanks to a grassroots effort by their fellow law enforcement brethren in nearby communities, Newtown's police officers will be the recipients of a rare gift in their profession -- a holiday off, for the entire force.

Last edited by SciFiGuy on 12/25/12 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/25/12 7:30 pm • # 8 
Administrator

The "police union" is frequently called the 'Police brotherhood".
However, I made no assertions whatsoever. As stated clearly, my statement was speculative.
That you consistently jump to incorrect conclusions isn't my problem.

PostPosted: 12/25/12 7:32 pm • # 9 
Your statement was nothing less that your trying to take a cheap jab at me for my position regarding unions in another thread. It had nothing to do with this topic.

PostPosted: 12/25/12 7:36 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Pftttttt

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply