It is currently 03/28/24 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: questions on "pledges"
PostPosted: 12/28/12 5:48 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

I keep hearing about the Reps having signed a "pledge" to not raise taxes. The "pledge" was supposedly offered to them by someone named Grover Norquist.

Now, the Democrats keep repeating that the "no new taxes" pledge given to Grover Norquist by the Reps is causing them to refrain from voting on the new taxation that a majority of Americans feel would be helpful to our current fiscal crisis.

Isn't a "pledge" sort of like, or exactly like, an "oath." A sacred promise.

If anyone who has been elected and taken the oath of office, promising to act in the best interests of the people of their State and nation, shouldn't that take precedent over a "pledge" to an unelected person. Isn't that close to, if not exactly, treason, a violation of their oath of office.

Isn't that the same as if the Democrats took an oath to Rev. Jeremiah Wright saying that they would not send military aid to anyone until every black person in America has a job with benefits?

Since when can elected officials pledge their duties and action to someone or something other than the elected chain of command. Why are the Reps who hide behind the pledge to Grover Norquist not being removed from office, their -parking places removed, their salaries not forthcoming, and even arrested until they begin to fulfill their oaths of office?

I know i must have something mixed up or they would be, so where am I missing how this sacred oath to Grover Norquist can be used openly to control the majority political party in the People's House? Why is it NOT a violation of their oath of office and a just reason to remove them from office.

What am I missing?

PostPosted: 12/28/12 7:40 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

What am I missing?

Grover & co. control the campaign money come election time. Violate the pledge, and not only will you not get any funds, funds will be used against you.

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply