All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/01/12 5:37 am • # 1 
Administrator

Interesting round-up ~ Sooz

A year in Raw: Our 10 most popular news stories of 2011
By Stephen C. Webster
Saturday, December 31, 2011

It's been a long year for the staff at Raw Story. The 12 months of 2011 have brought us many highs, many lows, many what-the-hell moments and plenty of surprises.

In the spirit of looking back, as so many of us do each year before the dawning of the next, Raw Story humbly presents the 10 most popular stories from 2011, as selected by our readers' clicks.

They may not be the most important stories the world encountered this last year, but that doesn't make them any less fascinating.

####

10. San Francisco man becomes first-ever to be cured of AIDS

It's a moment the world has waited to see for decades: a man once condemned to die by a relentless disease appeared to be completely cured after a bone marrow transplant that incorporated a radical stem cell therapy. Fortunately for the patient, 45-year-old Timothy Ray Brown, his marrow donor was one of the very few people who are naturally immune to HIV, the infection which causes AIDS. Doctors said they were planning to study the new technique in clinical trials beginning in 2011.

9. Ron Paul quits CNN interview after being asked about racist newsletters

Say what you will about Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) as a candidate for president, but one thing is indisputable: his supporters have an online presence second to none. They made the candidate's recent kerfuffle with a CNN reporter our ninth most popular story of 2011 by taking to Paul's defense in a scandal that seems to have stuck, with less than a week to go before his first major test of electability in the Iowa caucuses. And yes, Paul fans, we did see that CNN's interview was slightly edited at the end. Here's the link you asked us for (over and over again). You're welcome.

8. Gingrich: I'll ‘ignore' any Supreme Court ruling I disagree with

Woah there, candidate Newt: it doesn't work like that. On a conference call with reporters earlier in December, the former House Speaker suggested that if he were elected president and the Supreme Court were to encroach on his power, he'd just “issue instructions to ignore it, and say it's null and void and I do not accept it because it infringes on my duties as commander-in-chief to protect the country.â€

PostPosted: 01/01/12 2:55 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

that C-Span story is outrageous. did anyone know that?

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply